The Ford Barn

The Ford Barn (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Early V8 (1932-53) (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   1932 Ford Pin Striping Pattern (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=263222)

Andrew Konig 05-11-2019 12:08 PM

1932 Ford Pin Striping Pattern

2 Attachment(s)
I am completing the restoration of a stock 1932 Ford roadster. The body is Brewster Green and the wheels Apple Green.

I would be grateful if anyone can assist me with the stock pin striping pattern as well as the colour.

Many thanks and best regards,
Andrew

DavidG 05-11-2019 01:58 PM

Re: 1932 Ford Pin Striping Pattern

3 Attachment(s)
Metallic silver was the original color for the stripes with Brewster green body colors. The original pattern is shown in the photos below. The width of the stripes was 1/16" and they were painted 1/4" from the edges of the mouldings.

Andrew Konig 05-12-2019 02:07 AM

Many thanks for your kind assistance David,

All the best,
Andrew

DavidG 05-12-2019 07:54 AM

You're welcome!

Bubsyouruncle 08-16-2019 12:17 AM

DavidG
My baby girls gave me your books as a birthday present.
But they do not answer a question.
Body color different from molding color.
You say that there was a quarter inch gap between the two.
Did the body color go onto the molding color and then have the stripe cover the joint?

DavidG 08-16-2019 07:16 AM

1 Attachment(s)
With respect, I'm not 100% sure that I understand your question. The molding color always covered the entire molding cross sections. The pin stripes were painted 1/4" from the outer edges of the moldings as indicated above and pretty well covered in Chapter 13. In other words, molding color showed on both sides of each strip.

rockfla 08-16-2019 07:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bubsyouruncle (Post 1788490)
DavidG
My baby girls gave me your books as a birthday present.
But they do not answer a question.
Body color different from molding color.
You say that there was a quarter inch gap between the two.
Did the body color go onto the molding color and then have the stripe cover the joint?

David
As I read it, I think he is asking about the order, and "how" it was applied?? I.E. Did the "whole" body get painted "first" before the molding color was applied?? AND "IF" so was the pin stripe used to "hide" the break in the colors. I think the second question was answered clearly a couple of times!!! 1/4" from the edge!!!

DavidG 08-16-2019 08:40 AM

Robert,

It was done in the only way that makes sense from a production point of view, namely body color everywhere followed by masking the molding edges and then painting the moldings. No masking was done on the rear wheel house molding lower edges so at least in part (or entirely) the wheel houses ended up in the adjacent molding color.

If the stripes were 1/4" from the edges of the moldings, how could they possibly hide the break in the body and molding colors? What am I missing?

woodiewagon46 08-16-2019 08:44 AM

Andrew, if you are in the process of restoring your '32, and you don't already have them, I would highly recommend purchasing the 1932 Ford books offered by the V-8 Club. Pages and pages of very useful information.

Charlie Stephens 08-16-2019 11:16 AM

Be sure the pin striper doesn't make the stripes too wide. I had that happen and ended up removing them and having them done a second time.

Charlie Stephens

rockfla 08-16-2019 11:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DavidG (Post 1788540)
Robert,

It was done in the only way that makes sense from a production point of view, namely body color everywhere followed by masking the molding edges and then painting the moldings. No masking was done on the rear wheel house molding lower edges so at least in part (or entirely) the wheel houses ended up in the adjacent molding color.

If the stripes were 1/4" from the edges of the moldings, how could they possibly hide the break in the body and molding colors? What am I missing?

David
Hence my statement. The second question I thought was answered "clearly" at least twice!!!!

DavidG 08-16-2019 11:55 AM

The width was specified as 1/16", but variances would be commonplace given that it was done by hand.