The Ford Barn

The Ford Barn (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Model A (1928-31) (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   I need help (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=173985)

Al 29Tudor 07-22-2015 11:02 AM

I need help

I'm installing the rear brakes on my 29 Tudor and can't line up the front end of the wishbone. Does the car need to have the weight on the axle or the jack stands under the chassis? The misalignment is out about 1/4 of an inch on the right side - left side is in. It looks like the rear end has to move back to get the bolt in the front end of the wish bone.
I really need help on this.
Thank you much.
Al Leach

31Abone 07-22-2015 11:25 AM

Re: I need help

Loosen U-bolts on springs,align then re-tighten ?

Neil Mylar LakewoodCA 07-22-2015 11:26 AM

Hi Al,
You will probably get better help from some of the other guys, but i thought i would try to more clearly understand your problem. If you are working on the rear brakes, then you are probably refering to the rear radius rods. Im assuming you removed them when you took off the rear backing plates.
As long as they are not bent, they should go back on ok.
You might try removing the right rear backing plate again, hooking up the single radius rod bolt at the front of the rear end first, then.installing the right rear backing plate again.
Regards, Neil

BudP 07-22-2015 02:18 PM

x2 on Neil's approach to this problem.

Al 29Tudor 07-22-2015 07:52 PM

Thanks guys - I'll try again tomorrow.
Al

1crosscut 07-22-2015 08:34 PM

If your working on the front axle I would keep the frame set on jack stands. It would make me very nervous to have the car resting on the front wheels with only the leaf spring u-bolts holding the axle in place. Especially if loosening the front spring u-bolts for adjustments.

Al 29Tudor 07-23-2015 07:20 PM

Neil, thanks
You were right - I had to remove the bolts from the back end of the radius rod, attach the front end of the radius rod and then back end to the axle housing and back plate.
Thanks for all your responses.
Al

Neil Mylar LakewoodCA 07-24-2015 02:03 AM

Al,
You are welcome.
I'm glad it worked out.
I was pretty sure that I had to do the same thing, several years ago.
Regards, Neil
P.S. Are you happy with your new brakes?

Mike V. Florida 07-24-2015 03:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Al 29Tudor (Post 1126241)
Neil, thanks
You were right - I had to remove the bolts from the back end of the radius rod, attach the front end of the radius rod and then back end to the axle housing and back plate.
Thanks for all your responses.
Al

Glad you posted that it worked. Readers in a like situation now now that Neil's method works.

Often suggestions are made and the person with the problem disappears never telling us what, if anything, worked leaving those that search later on wondering.

Al 29Tudor 07-26-2015 09:56 PM

Neil,
I replaced both service brake arm kits and ebrake bushings. All the linings were good and I turned the drums a few months ago.
I had to leave for my grand-daughters birthday but as soon as I get home I'll adjust the brakes and take it out. Thanks for asking and again for the help.
Al

Al 29Tudor 07-26-2015 09:58 PM

Mike I agree - I like to know about the complete repair - what works and what does not.
Thanks