The Ford Barn

The Ford Barn (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Model A (1928-31) (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   About half Model A related (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=268637)

JBill 08-29-2019 01:12 PM

About half Model A related

I've seen videos of people changing Model A tires with the wheel still on the car. Has anybody here ever changed the rear tire of their lawn tractor with the wheel still on the axle? Can't get my wheel off.

bobH 08-29-2019 02:35 PM

Re: About half Model A related

In days long gone by, the shop where I bought my tires habitually changed the tires WITHOUT removing the wheel from the vehicle. This was in the 1950's, and the tire size was 6:00-16. With tubes.
And, by the way, they had a static balancer they used to 'balance' the tire, before putting in on the wheel.

klawockvet 08-29-2019 03:35 PM

Yes I have. Turn it on its side and have at it.

Keith True 08-29-2019 04:10 PM

It works well.Remove with the stem at the top,and mount with the stem at the bottom.Lock the hub up with the brake adjuster,if you don't you will chase the bead around in circles with the tire iron.

History 08-29-2019 06:47 PM

I just changed tubes in two tires while on the car. It is easier, atleast for me to do it off the car but it can be done while on it.

Tom Wesenberg 08-30-2019 01:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JBill (Post 1793279)
I've seen videos of people changing Model A tires with the wheel still on the car. Has anybody here ever changed the rear tire of their lawn tractor with the wheel still on the axle? Can't get my wheel off.

I installed tubes in my lawn tractor because the tires always had a slow bead leak. I still have the scar on my left hand from the job, and it wasn't easy. Jack up the one wheel and lock it if you can, then use a hammer and large screwdriver or tire iron to push the bead inward. Wear leather gloves, just in case the hammer hits your hand, as it did mine with no gloves on. Then use some tire irons or screwdrivers to peal the tire off the wheel.

BTW, what size is the tire? The smaller they are, the tougher they are to change.

JBill 08-30-2019 07:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tom Wesenberg (Post 1793453)
I installed tubes in my lawn tractor because the tires always had a slow bead leak. I still have the scar on my left hand from the job, and it wasn't easy. Jack up the one wheel and lock it if you can, then use a hammer and large screwdriver or tire iron to push the bead inward. Wear leather gloves, just in case the hammer hits your hand, as it did mine with no gloves on. Then use some tire irons or screwdrivers to peal the tire off the wheel.

BTW, what size is the tire? The smaller they are, the tougher they are to change.

18 X 8.5 8 Not as small as the fronts, but pretty small. I'm going to give getting the wheel off one more try. Reminds me too much of getting the rear hubs off my Model A! Wish I could use that puller on these,

Thanks for the help and advice everyone.

ryanheacox 08-30-2019 08:37 AM

I would have another go at getting the wheel off. I did one on mine earlier this year. Would have been an absolute pain to do on the axle. Much easier to seat the bead with ether with the wheel off too:D