The Ford Barn

The Ford Barn (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Early V8 (1932-53) (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Rejuvinate script battery (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=270587)

Bob56 10-08-2019 07:35 AM

Rejuvinate script battery

3 Attachment(s)
Since they don't make these batteries anymore has anyone tried to restore one of these batteries using Epson salts or they sell battery restore solutions on e-bay. I know the case is cracked by the post. It hasn't been charged in years.

tubman 10-08-2019 08:12 AM

Re: Rejuvinate script battery

None of those methods work. If you insist on trying, I believe I have a "Battery DeSulfater" that I purchased a while ago that was guaranteed to "bring any battery back". (I think it was just a maintainer with a special label.) It had no effect. A battery that has been dead that long is toast; especially a "Script" battery which I have always found to be of inferior quality.

Better to strip the guts out of it and get one of those special tops and use it as a case for an Optima.

fordwife 10-08-2019 09:30 AM

I agree with tubman. You're beating a dead horse.

A bones 10-08-2019 10:08 AM

Yep years back my pop gave me a six volt 30 year old, new old stock battery. It was never activated ( no acid ). I filled it with acid tried a slow charge, nothing. Then gave it fast charge, nothing. Then siow charge for more than a day, nothing. Oh well.

J Franklin 10-08-2019 12:10 PM

There are battery rebuilders you might ba able to find.

Bob56 10-08-2019 02:32 PM

I thought about gutting it but I have a 36 club cab and the battery is under the floor, so putting an Optima isn't going to work. I had thought about a Braille lithium battery but not sure if that would work

54vicky 10-09-2019 08:02 AM

as J Franklin said look around for a battery rebuilder possibly a tow motor battery dealer.being a tar top they are rebuildable.

4dFord/SC 10-09-2019 09:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bob56 (Post 1807699)
I thought about gutting it but I have a 36 club cab and the battery is under the floor, so putting an Optima isn't going to work. I had thought about a Braille lithium battery but not sure if that would work

The Optima can be laid on its side, if that helps.

frnkeore 10-09-2019 03:22 PM

I use 35 Ah, SLA battery's (sealed lead acid) on some of my vehicles. They are small and very powerful, for their size. You have to use a bolt and nut connection, rather than a post or, I'd have them in everything. Most of those jumper, starting battery packs, only use a 18Ah, SLA battery in them.

The Optima's are AGM battery's (absorbed glass mat), they are very similar to the SLA's, in size and power.

A 100 Ah SLA or AGM, will be more than you need and will out last a standard battery at least 4 times.