The Ford Barn

The Ford Barn (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Model A (1928-31) (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Headlight switch sequence (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=269905)

walkerlakeprinter 09-23-2019 08:51 PM

Headlight switch sequence

4 Attachment(s)
I have finally installed my light switch. New wiring harness, new switch. Two-light headlights.

See photos: First photo is with light switch at 6 o'clock: lights off

Second photo: light switch at 7 o'clock: only driver's side parking light on

Third photo: light switch at 5 o'clock: passenger parking light on, driver's headlight on.

Fourth photo: light switch at 4 o'clock: both headlights on.

Do I need to switch some of the sockets around?

On another topic, when I touched the horn contact to the frame before I installed the switch, the horn was loud and worked perfectly. Now that it works with the horn button, it sounds weak. What should I check first?

PalAl 09-23-2019 11:12 PM

Re: Headlight switch sequence

Take a close look at the bulb sockets, you may have contacts that are to close causing the power to creep over to another circuit. Repo sockets are noted for that trouble. Good article by Marc Maron months back in MARC's Model A News about this trouble and how to fix. Also are your headlight wires positioned properly in the socket fixture? Let us know what you find. Horn..... clean contacts, ground

Badpuppy 09-24-2019 10:44 AM

Check passenger side socket on back of bucket. Black/green, black/red, black/yellow wires connect bright, dim, park lamps, respectively. Yellow and red may be swapped there; dim appears not connecting. Check for bent pins in socket, can cause opens or shorts. Wire guides are labeled R,Y,G facing forward, make sure the wire colors match. Also check harness inside bucket.

A horn relay will usually fix problem with dirty horn button contact.

Jim Brierley 09-24-2019 11:35 AM

At 5 o'clock both low beams should be on, 4 o'clock both high beams.

burner31 09-24-2019 12:44 PM

The spider gear has to mesh with the rotating light switch plate just right.
Light switch and spider gear at 6 and the plate in the off position...if I remember correctly.

walkerlakeprinter 09-24-2019 01:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Badpuppy (Post 1802561)
Check passenger side socket on back of bucket. Black/green, black/red, black/yellow wires connect bright, dim, park lamps, respectively. Yellow and red may be swapped there; dim appears not connecting. Check for bent pins in socket, can cause opens or shorts. Wire guides are labeled R,Y,G facing forward, make sure the wire colors match. Also check harness inside bucket.

A horn relay will usually fix problem with dirty horn button contact.

On the passenger side, the red was connected to the small parking light and green and yellow connected to large bulb. On the driver's side, the yellow was connected to the parking light and the red and green were connected to the large bulb. That would mess things up, I am guessing.

Which color to the parking light is correct? And now I am not sure which black wire on the headlight itself should be connected to which color for the high and low beams. Help.

walkerlakeprinter 09-24-2019 01:35 PM

I think I have it figured. Red and green go to headlights, and the yellow to the parking lights. You were right about the passenger side. Driver's side was correct. Once I get everything connected back up I will let you know how it goes.

Joe K 09-24-2019 03:06 PM

Nobody's mentioned THE wiring diagram.

This one is in color.

https://lesmodela.files.wordpress.co...ng-diagram.pdf

Joe K

walkerlakeprinter 09-24-2019 03:57 PM

Everything is hooked up as designed, and lights work as they should. Thanks, guys.

Badpuppy 09-25-2019 09:40 AM

Thanks for the feedback report. Makes us feel good we've helped out. Your clear description of the problem made it easier to zero-in on it.