The Ford Barn

The Ford Barn (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Early V8 (1932-53) (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   39 Deluxe Starter Button Installation (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=285418)

redryder 08-10-2020 11:39 PM

39 Deluxe Starter Button Installation

I feel dumb asking this question but i just bought a 39 Deluxe Convertible and the starter button was missing (car is completely restored otherwise). I bought a repo from C&G and it literally fell apart upon installation. I was inserting through the 'key way' and trying to twist it 90 degrees. I assumed the 'prongs' would keep it in the dash and create the ground. Is there a trick to installing these?

ford38v8 08-11-2020 12:32 AM

Re: 39 Deluxe Starter Button Installation

The trick is to specify NOS Made in America parts, never go for the bargain basement stuff.

V8COOPMAN 08-11-2020 01:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ford38v8 (Post 1918927)
The trick is to specify NOS Made in America parts, never go for the bargain basement stuff.

Alan (ford38v8 above) gives you good advice. PM one of our 'regular posters' here on the 'Barn that goes by "barnfind08". His name is Fred Wilmer and he owns "Southside Obsolete". He has warehouses full of NOS Ford parts, and he's a good guy. You can send him a PM (private message) directly by clicking on the link I've arranged for you below, and tell him what you need. Your best bet going! DD

https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/priva...do=newpm&u=104

marko39 08-11-2020 07:26 AM

you should not have to twist button to install. it pushes in compressing the two spring steel pieces that fit in cutouts in dash hole. make sure you clean this area to bare metal before installing button. you can use Kubes tip and solder a wire to button body and ground it better. button must be grounded to work. I too, bought a new starter button only to have it stick in the second time i pushed it. i got a nors. one off ebay but there are a lot of the new junk on there.

redryder 08-11-2020 07:53 AM

thanks all. i'll get a quality button and start again. @v8coopman thanks for the lead/link

V8COOPMAN 08-11-2020 02:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by redryder (Post 1918968)
thanks all. i'll get a quality button and start again. @v8coopman thanks for the lead/link

Let us know how it works-out for you. DD

Mart 08-11-2020 02:59 PM

Yeah, you just shove-a-it-inna no turny turny.

rotorwrench 08-11-2020 06:39 PM

You may have to investigate how the car is currently set up. The old Fords were a ground to start type relay. Someone may have installed a different type relay.

Aarongriffey 08-12-2020 09:20 PM

Ya, the Fordomatics had a different starter switch. It put electricity to the starter relay, which is often called solenoid.
It got electricity through the neautal safety switch.
Just don’t twist on the starter push button.
I have those buttons from C&G a few times for Fords, Mercury’s and Lincoln
Always considered C&G the best. I have got $200 plus worth of parts from them last week and am waiting for an order of at least 400 this week.
No twist of the starter button por favor.

JSeery 08-12-2020 09:31 PM

The early starter buttons are all chrome, have one wire to them and provide a ground path to the starter solenoid. I am more familiar with the later pickups, but think they are all similar. On the later ones they change over to a solenoid that received power from the starter button. The center button is normally black plastic on them and they have two wires. One connects to a power source and the other one to the starter solenoid.

If there is any question as to type of solenoid it is, it is easy to test. But, be careful!!! Be sure the vehicle is in neutral and the wheels are blocked from moving. Take a short jumper wire and jump the center terminal to a good ground. The starter should engage. That would be the solenoid for the early grounded starter button. If nothing happens, try shorting the center terminal to the Battery terminal of the solenoid. If that engages the starter, then it needs the later power style starter button.