The Ford Barn

The Ford Barn (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Model A (1928-31) (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Sea foam (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=272008)

keyswitch1 11-01-2019 01:34 PM

Sea foam

I was just wondering if any body ever used sea foam in there model a?? What was the out come ??

30 Closed Cab PU 11-01-2019 02:25 PM

Re: Sea foam

I usually use a heavy treatment or 2 in the gas in the spring after waking my A from its winter nap. Have not noticed a difference, use it more as a preventative, help keep the tank, carb, and valves/seats clean.

I did have an old lawnmower given to me that barely ran. Draind teh gas (it smelled bad and looked varishy), Mixed in a half can of sea foam and filled teh gas tank full with fresh gas in its little tank. Mower ran poorly, sputtered some, black/blue smoke came out of it for a little while, and then ran almost like new.

1931 flamingo 11-01-2019 02:32 PM

I run that or StaBil in the A, the 40, lawn mower, leaf blower and sno-blower along with MMO glug-glug-glug
Paul in CT

30 Closed Cab PU 11-01-2019 02:42 PM

I also use Stabil 360 for winter storage on all my motor if taking a lng nap. Since I always use ethanol free gas in my A and small motors, do not add Stabil during the driving season. Also add a little Marvel Mystery oil in the gas, but only once a month or so. I do not use ZDDP in oil or gas.

WHN 11-01-2019 03:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1931 flamingo (Post 1816614)
I run that or StaBil in the A, the 40, lawn mower, leaf blower and sno-blower along with MMO glug-glug-glug
Paul in CT

We also do the same as Paul. Has worked for us for many, many, years. Enjoy.

Ray in La Mesa 11-01-2019 07:44 PM

I've been using Seafoom for years, I buy it in the gallon size, much cheaper. Works great. Even in the motorhome that sits 3-4 months at a time. I run the motor & generator long enough to draw it into the carburators.

holdover 11-01-2019 09:27 PM

I mix it my self the formula is on the internet, just goggle it.

Patrick L. 11-02-2019 05:33 AM

I've used it for 40 years in the fuel only.

Bob Bidonde 11-02-2019 07:15 AM

Since 1962, no additives have been put into the gasoline of my Model A's. The cars survive the Long Island winters without any issues.

NCRebel 11-04-2019 09:19 PM

I use 4 ounces of Seafoam per tank of non-ethanol gas. I drive the car all year and have no adverse results in the three years I've been responsible for the car. The owner ran the same formula for eight years before I took over maintenance.

I add about two ounces of Marvel Mystery oil twice or three times a years when the temperatures go above 100 degrees. That takes care of Mississippi operating conditions.

Dirtrack49 11-04-2019 09:31 PM

I have a generator in my motor van (RV) that sat for a number of months. I was going to replace the carburetor in it since it would do nothing but surge.
My wife contacted a so-called RV repairman that had fantastic referrals. He told her that I needed to buy another generator!
I decided to run Seafoam through it for several hours. Now it runs like new.
Also, I find that if you use good grade gasoline's like Chevron, or Mobile here in California, the cleaning additives do seem to make a difference.
Tom L.

Patrick L. 11-05-2019 08:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dirtrack49 (Post 1817852)
I have a generator in my motor van (RV) that sat for a number of months. I was going to replace the carburetor in it since it would do nothing but surge.
My wife contacted a so-called RV repairman that had fantastic referrals. He told her that I needed to buy another generator!
I decided to run Seafoam through it for several hours. Now it runs like new.
Also, I find that if you use good grade gasoline's like Chevron, or Mobile here in California, the cleaning additives do seem to make a difference.
Tom L.

Yep, certain brands of gas do have some good cleaning additives, others don't.

The RV guy with the fantastic referrals, those referrals are probably from the generator supply houses.

Sea-foam works well as a carburetor cleaner, I think its the naphtha.

JBill 11-05-2019 09:49 AM

A local small engine mechanic recommends Sea Foam instead of Stabile, and suggests using premium fuel in small engines.

M2M 11-05-2019 12:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Patrick L. (Post 1816744)
I've used it for 40 years in the fuel only.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bob Bidonde (Post 1816768)
Since 1962, no additives have been put into the gasoline of my Model A's. The cars survive the Long Island winters without any issues.

Bob has more years than Patrick...so does that mean Bob wins? Or do we need more info to make a decision like: how many miles covered, whether they are taking about a vehicle they continue to own after these 40/50 years, or are they referring to multiple vehicles owned during this period, or vehicles they no longer own?

Patrick L. 11-05-2019 12:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by M2M (Post 1817993)
Bob has more years than Patrick...so does that mean Bob wins? Or do we need more info to make a decision like: how many miles covered, whether they are taking about a vehicle they continue to own after these 40/50 years, or are they referring to multiple vehicles owned during this period, or vehicles they no longer own?

LOL. Maybe Bob is just older than I am. :D

I don't keep my every day vehicles 40 years. But some of my other stuff I have, like the A, motorbikes, lawnmowers, tillers, weedeaters, chainsaws, etc.

Stabil goes stale, SeaFoam doesn't [ or hasn't yet].

But, since we live in a semi-free country, there are choices that can be made. :)