The Ford Barn

The Ford Barn (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Early V8 (1932-53) (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   anti freeze out the tail pipe (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=121851)

harleynut 10-31-2013 02:00 PM

anti freeze out the tail pipe

I got a 49 F1 I'm restoring. 8BA. On start up I'm getting antifreeze out BOTH tail pipes. My first thought was head gasket, but both tail pipes spit antifreeze. Previous owner swears up and down engine was rebuilt. Not likely both head gaskets would go at one time is my thoughts. I haven't pulled the heads yet, just wondering if any of you guys ever had that problem.

Jack E/NJ 10-31-2013 02:08 PM

Re: anti freeze out the tail pipe

How do you know it's antifreeze? How much liquid are you seeing? And how long are you running it while it's spitting liquid? Does it have a crossover pipe?

Jack E/NJ

PS: If you're sure it's antifreeze, try re-torqueing the heads to 45 lbs before doing anything else. If it's not leaking that much, run it for awhile to see if the additives in antifreeze will take care of it on its own.

rotorwrench 10-31-2013 02:14 PM

There could be a crack in one or more exhaust valve pockets. I've also seen the center head bolt bore crack all the way down into the center siamese exhaust port a time or two. Most times it's just a leaking head gasket if no defects were found in the block by presure test & magnaflux. One fellow on here had a hole drilled down into the water jacket when someone attempted to remove a broken head bolt.

deuce_roadster 10-31-2013 03:09 PM

If the heads never have been retorqued, I think your odds are good it is the gaskets.
Good luck.

trainguy 10-31-2013 04:05 PM

Had the same problem,one exhaust spit moisture that smelled like antifreeze.Changed the head gasket,problem solved.I find the graphite Best gasket work the best.Phil

harleynut 10-31-2013 04:39 PM

I know its antifreeze....it's green.......ran it at idol for 4 or 5 minutes at idle......it's duel exhaust, antifreeze out both exhaust. In fact it must have been that way for a good while before I bought the truck because I had to replace both Smittys mufflers that were rotted out from the inside out....water and antifreeze laying at the lowest point in the exhaust for some time

Jack E/NJ 10-31-2013 04:59 PM

Sounds like it's time to pull the heads.

Jack E/NJ

rotorwrench 10-31-2013 06:38 PM

If the intake manifold heat riser is still open you might have coolant crossing over there but it would be hard to tell which side is leaking unless you pull the exhaust manifolds and see which side it has a tendency to run out of. Might just be easier to pull the heads.

moonshine runner 10-31-2013 06:43 PM

I too have had a bad head gasket which caused the same issue.

Kevin

Quote:

Originally Posted by trainguy (Post 755632)
Had the same problem,one exhaust spit moisture that smelled like antifreeze.Changed the head gasket,problem solved.I find the graphite Best gasket work the best.Phil

harleynut 10-31-2013 08:26 PM

As soon as I get some time, I'll pull the heads and pass along what I find. Thanks to all your input.......Joe in Pa

G.M. 10-31-2013 10:21 PM

Try re torqueing the heads and add a bottle of heavy duty Barr's block sealer and see what happens. I have had a bunch like you described and only had one I had to change head gaskets. G.M.