The Ford Barn

The Ford Barn (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Model A (1928-31) (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Acetelyne torch sparker (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=227939)

Ray in La Mesa 08-29-2017 09:29 AM

Acetelyne torch sparker

Sometimes my age challenged hand doesn't have enough squeeze to work the sparker to light my acetelyne torch so started thinking of an alternative method. Had an extra piezoelectric push button starter from an old BBQ and hooked it to one of my Model A spark plugs- ta da! -instant torch lighter, now I just have to make a bracket to mount it to my torch cart. To soon we get old & to late smart.

ktkamm 08-29-2017 09:32 AM

Re: Acetelyne torch sparker

Nice idea! Wonder if you could one of those long lighters that take butane (without the butane)?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mike657894 08-29-2017 09:50 AM

Something I never understood. Why its unsafe to use a standard cigarette lighter? Its always been my go to.
But I have heard its not safe.

Keith True 08-29-2017 10:50 AM

I guess it is not safe for people who hold the torch on the lighter after it is lit.Some people can break the trunk off an elephant.Not all scratchers are the same,they make a pistol grip one that squeezes with almost no hand pressure.It sparks when I slide it into my pocket.

BILL WILLIAMSON 08-29-2017 11:03 AM

Isn't it the SHITS, when we get OLD & can't do SIMPLE things?? Like tryin' to find the ZIPPER tab, whin you gotta' "P" BAD!
And your handwriting goes to POT, BUT, mine will still cash a CHECK! Once, my Bank ran a check through, with NO SIGNATURE!!!--Made me feel UN-IMPORTANT!
Bill Griping---"Wonder" if I could write a check on a piece of a BROWN Paper Bag?????---IF we're ever able to E-Mail CASH, I'll become a RICH HACKER--LOL

Tom Wesenberg 08-29-2017 11:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ktkamm (Post 1520004)
Nice idea! Wonder if you could one of those long lighters that take butane (without the butane)?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That should work fine.

mhsprecher 08-29-2017 11:23 AM

Not to be flip, but exercise can help anyone of any age and we all should do strengthening exercise. Get of those grip strengtheners to increase the strength in your hands.

hardtimes 08-29-2017 11:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mhsprecher (Post 1520045)
Not to be flip, but exercise can help anyone of any age and we all should do strengthening exercise. Get of those grip strengtheners to increase the strength in your hands.

'anyone of any age', eh ? How long have you been around anyway :confused:
Try your theory after a large dose of arthritis !! Not to mention even worse maladies.

1928Mik 08-29-2017 11:36 AM

I use one of those long butane lighters for my torch. For hand exercise, I use a
'Gripmaster' for guitar players available at the music store..... Exercises each finger separately.

Fred K-OR 08-29-2017 01:33 PM

Is lifting a coffee cup good enough exercise?

mhsprecher 08-29-2017 01:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fred K-OR (Post 1520087)
Is lifting a coffee cup good enough exercise?

For some people. 😜

40 Deluxe 08-29-2017 02:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mike657894 (Post 1520009)
Something I never understood. Why its unsafe to use a standard cigarette lighter? Its always been my go to.
But I have heard its not safe.

One reason is we tend to slip the things into our pocket after lighting the torch. When/if a hot piece of slag hits the pocket, it can melt the plastic lighter. Instant fireball!
Or we lay it on the welding table, and same thing.

Chris Haynes 08-29-2017 02:41 PM

At 72 years of age I tend to keep it simple. Nothing, other than a striker, is more simple to light the flame of a torch. If you have something mounted on your cart and you are 20 feet away you have to walk back the the cart to fire it up again.

BILL WILLIAMSON 08-29-2017 04:04 PM

I tipe with 2 fingers, my left pinkie is Knarled, IF I used all my fingers, there'd always be a certain letter MISSING!---"A" I "think"???--With his LOOONG middle claw, the Dog has his problems also. He blames his mis-spelin on it.
Bill Wingit

2manycars 08-29-2017 08:01 PM

When I was in AG school we needed a way to light torches, and the striker was always in someone's pocket, so I got an old magneto from a farmall F20 and attached a handle to the crank end and wired all the 4 terminals together and a wire to a model A spark plug mounted upside down, mounted on a bench, and I think that was used until they closed the shop 30 or 40 years later.

Ray in La Mesa 08-30-2017 09:03 AM

Didn't expect so many responses, more than one way to skin a cat I guess. I didn't think of it but i do have one of the propane starters in the motorhome. I was in the shop and my mind is always solving challenges by using items from my source (scrap) pile.

BILL WILLIAMSON 08-30-2017 09:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 2manycars (Post 1520232)
When I was in AG school we needed a way to light torches, and the striker was always in someone's pocket, so I got an old magneto from a farmall F20 and attached a handle to the crank end and wired all the 4 terminals together and a wire to a model A spark plug mounted upside down, mounted on a bench, and I think that was used until they closed the shop 30 or 40 years later.

Chief sed, "Bet you CAN'T turn this MAG"----I grasped it by the cap & it knocked the FOOL out of me!:eek:---MOMMA wouldn't fall for it:)
Bill Neverthesameagain:confused:

wingski 08-30-2017 10:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Keith True (Post 1520023)
I guess it is not safe for people who hold the torch on the lighter after it is lit.Some people can break the trunk off an elephant.Not all scratchers are the same,they make a pistol grip one that squeezes with almost no hand pressure.It sparks when I slide it into my pocket.

I'll bet that lights up your life.

Kahuna 08-30-2017 11:00 PM

Ray
What is a Propane starter?
Thanks
I always use a bic lighter as my wife still smokes occasionally

todd3131 08-31-2017 07:17 AM

Have you checked your local welding supply store the have piezo lighters for lighting torches?