The Ford Barn

The Ford Barn (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Model A (1928-31) (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Rebuilt Engine Question (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=174200)

31pickup650 07-24-2015 09:42 PM

Rebuilt Engine Question

Hey guys. I have a rebuilt engine that has never been run since it was rebuilt 50 years ago. It sat in a garage without a head on it. I got it up onto the stand and pulled the pan. Theres definitely some dust in there. What's the best course of action from here? Thanks.

http://i1075.photobucket.com/albums/...psfol0430a.jpg

http://i1075.photobucket.com/albums/...pscbufj64i.jpg

http://i1075.photobucket.com/albums/...ps15vg8oj2.jpg

40 Deluxe 07-25-2015 12:12 AM

Re: Rebuilt Engine Question

I think it would be very interesting for one of the current rebuilders to tear it down for a complete inspection. See what they did for Babbitt, etc. in 1965. Was this a factory rebuild (if I remember, in 1965 you still could buy reman A engines (even from Sears or Monkey Wards))? Or was it a local garage or local machine shop overhaul? Seems like most parts stores also had machine shops back then (one here in Flagstaff still does).

burner31 07-25-2015 01:24 AM

Give everything a good check, clean it up, assemble and start her up, see what happens.
If it's good, your golden, if not, you're out a little time and some gaskets.

Bruce Adams 07-25-2015 06:32 AM

I guess you know to pre lube everything already. Will you do a compression test prior to putting much more time into it?

31pickup650 07-25-2015 07:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 40 Deluxe (Post 1127023)
I think it would be very interesting for one of the current rebuilders to tear it down for a complete inspection. See what they did for Babbitt, etc. in 1965. Was this a factory rebuild (if I remember, in 1965 you still could buy reman A engines (even from Sears or Monkey Wards))? Or was it a local garage or local machine shop overhaul? Seems like most parts stores also had machine shops back then (one here in Flagstaff still does).

I will have to ask my grandpa the specifics, but I know he had it machined and the did the assembly himself.

Quote:

Originally Posted by burner31 (Post 1127043)
Give everything a good check, clean it up, assemble and start her up, see what happens.
If it's good, your golden, if not, you're out a little time and some gaskets.

What's the best way to clean all of it up? I wiped it out with a microfiber cloth the best I could, but that missed a lot of area.

Chris in CT 07-25-2015 08:33 AM

Hi Noah, I notice you've got 20 posts above. Did anyone welcome you to Fordbarn? If not, welcome. If you think the interior of the engine is really dirty - and perhaps gritty would be the best description - then I think you should attempt to clean it out. If it is just congealed oil, then it might be best to leave it alone and use the procedures I would suggest below.
If gritty, turn the engine on its side with the crankcase turned slightly down, and wash it out with kerosene. Do not use anything more aggressive than the kero. Use a squirt bottle or can, and don't get near any source of combustion. Collect the kerosene run-off with pans or shop towels and dispose of safely and legally.
In any case, when you have re-assembled your engine, fill it with 20 weight oil for the first few break-in runs, and use standard break-in procedures for the Model A engine.
Oh! Do not forget to put 2 quarts of oil in the crankcase, and two quarts down the distributor hole to fill the valve galley and main bearing feed tubes with oil before you attempt to start the engine. After about ten hours of the break-in procedure, drain the 20 weight and refill with 30 weight. Addendum: The first few times you start your engine, let it run at a fast idle until it gets hot (steam first beginning to appear at the radiator neck) then shut it down. When the engine can run at a fast idle without getting hot (steam appearing) then you can begin to take it on drives not faster than 35-40 mph. This will also allow you to snug down the head bolts several times after you re-install the head with that new head gasket.

31pickup650 07-25-2015 08:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris in CT (Post 1127134)
Hi Noah, I notice you've got 20 posts above. Did anyone welcome you to Fordbarn? If not, welcome. If you think the interior of the engine is really dirty - and perhaps gritty would be the best description - then I think you should attempt to clean it out. If it is just congealed oil, then it might be best to leave it alone and use the procedures I would suggest below.
If gritty, turn the engine on its side with the crankcase turned slightly down, and wash it out with kerosene. Do not use anything more aggressive than the kero. Use a squirt bottle or can, and don't get near any source of combustion. Collect the kerosene run-off with pans or shop towels and dispose of safely and legally.
In any case, when you have re-assembled your engine, fill it with 20 weight oil for the first few break-in runs, and use standard break-in procedures for the Model A engine.
Oh! Do not forget to put 2 quarts of oil in the crankcase, and two quarts down the distributor hole to fill the valve galley and main bearing feed tubes with oil before you attempt to start the engine. After about ten hours of the break-in procedure, drain the 20 weight and refill with 30 weight. Addendum: The first few times you start your engine, let it run at a fast idle until it gets hot (steam first beginning to appear at the radiator neck) then shut it down. When the engine can run at a fast idle without getting hot (steam appearing) then you can begin to take it on drives not faster than 35-40 mph. This will also allow you to snug down the head bolts several times after you re-install the head with that new head gasket.

Thanks, Chris. When I turn the engine so the crankcase is slightly down, is this just the bare block after I have disassembled it? It definitely seems dusty/gritty. I was thinking to disassemble it and clean it with the kerosene first because it simply isn't worth the risk of damaging it. Thanks for the detailed help!

Dave in MD 07-25-2015 09:37 AM

It appears that at least some of the cylinders have been sleeved. Are there any marks on the top of the pistons to indicate their size?
Dave

31pickup650 07-25-2015 09:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dave in MD (Post 1127164)
It appears that at least some of the cylinders have been sleeved. Are there any marks on the top of the pistons to indicate their size?
Dave

They're 0.060" over.

Rowdy 07-25-2015 09:47 AM

I would do a general clean up with mineral spirits, check clearances, possibly take it to a machine shop and have it balanced, lube it well and put it back together. As long as nothing strikingly big seems wrong I would run it. Rod

Bruce Adams 07-25-2015 09:58 AM

Don't forget to put some Marvel Mystery Oil in the spark plug holes to pre lube the rings and walls a day before starting, if the cylinders have been a while without moving.

mshmodela 07-25-2015 10:43 AM

Nice motor! wish I had a spare in which appears in that good of shape.

31pickup650 07-25-2015 11:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mshmodela (Post 1127192)
Nice motor! wish I had a spare in which appears in that good of shape.

It's brand new, technically. Never been run since the rebuild.

BILL WILLIAMSON 07-25-2015 11:21 AM

If you have great faith in your Dads' knowledge & workmanship, just clean it up & RUN IT!!
Bill W.

31pickup650 07-25-2015 11:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BILL WILLIAMSON (Post 1127210)
If you have great faith in your Dads' knowledge & workmanship, just clean it up & RUN IT!!
Bill W.

I do. I am just concerned with amount of grit/dirt in there and the possibility of the dried out grease.

Chuck Sea/Tac 07-25-2015 12:26 PM

I'd be worried the pre lube has congealed in the bearing feed holes.

Brentwood Bob 07-25-2015 04:00 PM

As for the cooling system: There is the likelihood of scale in the water jacket, so include that in your cleanup. Remember that when the water circulates into the radiator it will plug up the radiator.
And part of my personal protective equipment is safety shoes, or at least clean cotten soxes.
Bob

C26Pinelake 07-25-2015 04:15 PM

It might well be worth enlisting the help of a local Model A club expert! He would gave a good idea what to look for and what to do before and during the. Startup stage! Good luck and keep grandpa involved because I am sure if will be good for his ego! Wayne

Mike V. Florida 07-25-2015 11:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chuck Sea/Tac (Post 1127243)
I'd be worried the pre lube has congealed in the bearing feed holes.

I would take it apart, clean out the dust, check out the feed holes, and apply new prelube when reassembling the motor. It cannot hurt, you will not be changing anything your family did, it take only a few hours to get it done.

Why take a chance of failure in the work your Dad did for a few hours of taking things apart and putting them together again.

40 Deluxe 07-26-2015 04:56 AM

Have your Grand dad "supervise" the cleanup. I'm sure he'd love it as well as fill you in on a lot of history, as watching the disassembly and reassembly will trigger a lot of memories! If he doesn't live close, take a lot of videos.