The Ford Barn

The Ford Barn (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Model A (1928-31) (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Squeaky throwout bearing? (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=263498)

[email protected] 05-17-2019 10:19 AM

Squeaky throwout bearing?

When I depress the clutch pedal to engage the transmission with the engine running, the throwout bearing makes a squeaky noise. I tried lubricating it through the grease fittings in the top opening door in the bellhousing but the noise continues. It only happens when I have the clutch pedal depressed. Any suggestions?

WHN 05-17-2019 10:24 AM

Re: Squeaky throwout bearing?

How loud is the sound and does it go away as soon as you start letting up on the clutch?

Don’t put a lot of grease into the throw out bearing. It just needs a little grease.

[email protected] 05-17-2019 10:29 AM

The sound is noticeable when idling not so much with the engine revved up. If I release the clutch it stops. If I am sitting at a traffic light and depress the clutch for instance, there is no squeaking.

Cool Hand Lurker 05-17-2019 10:33 AM

That is generally the sound that a failing throwout bearing makes. It will likely have to be replaced.

Purdy Swoft 05-17-2019 10:59 AM

I agree ,it is probably time to replace the throw out bearing .

Patrick L. 05-17-2019 01:18 PM

It depends on the carrier and which bearing you have as to whether the bearing can be lubed thru that fitting.

I confused now, which is normal, but, your posts tend to contradict each other.

WHN 05-17-2019 01:40 PM

Model A’s make a lot of different sounds at one time or another. You would to at 90 years old.

I would drive it. The sound could go away. Or you might end up replacing the bearing in the future. Enjoy.

Joe K 05-17-2019 02:56 PM

A failing throwout bearing will "pull" the throwout bearing carrier around in the direction of motor rotation. Check your alemite fitting on top. If its a bit off to the side or the retracting spring seems at angle, then the bearing is probably on its way out and may even be spinning on the carrier.

New carriers are available as are bearings. Not so much fingertips on pressure plates which is another place wear can happen from a seized throwout bearing.

Joe K

quickchange 05-17-2019 03:22 PM

remove inspection cover, drill fine hole into the bearing case, fill with grease , solder the hole up , will last for years but replace next time out , yes it can be done & works ,

katy 05-18-2019 09:33 AM

Quote:

I tried lubricating it through the grease fittings in the top opening door in the bellhousing
That only lubricates the slider part, not the bearing itself.

Tom Wesenberg 05-19-2019 07:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by katy (Post 1758652)

The original throw out bearing had a pathway for the grease to reach the ball bearing, but I don't think the replacements today allow grease to travel to the balls.

Patrick L. 05-19-2019 08:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by katy (Post 1758652)

post #6

1crosscut 05-19-2019 10:27 AM

Ran across a similar issue recently. Turned out that the two front motor mount bolts to the motor had not been tightened and when the clutch pedal was pressed it caused the engine to move just enough that the front pulley rubbed making a sound that sounded just like a bad throwout bearing.