The Ford Barn

The Ford Barn (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Early V8 (1932-53) (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   1933 circuit breaker or fuse? (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=153361)

FrankWest 10-29-2014 08:07 PM

1933 circuit breaker or fuse?

Can it be reset or must it be replaced?
Can't find it on firewall? What does it look like?

supereal 10-29-2014 08:30 PM

Re: 1933 circuit breaker or fuse?

There is no fuse or breaker, as such. Years ago, a fuse block was sold as an add on. The later "breaker" was actually a sort of buzzer that allowed operation to get home when a short appeared. We divide circuits and install push button teset breakers if the customer requests it. The generator charging circuit should never be fused. In the event the fuse blows, without a load, the generator output will spike, likely causing damage to the unit. A battery cutoff switch will reduce the liklihood of a fire caused by deteriorated wiring.

ford38v8 10-29-2014 08:52 PM

Frank, Up under the dash above the steering column is a fiber block with a fuse for the lights on the right, and the ignition resistor on the left. No other variation appeared until 1940, when an intermittent breaker replaced the fuse. This breaker resets itself continuosly so the driver can make it home with blinking headlights.

DavidG 10-29-2014 09:18 PM

Frank is asking about a four-cylinder car hence there's no ignition resistor, only the fuse block with a readily-replaceable 20 amp. fuse for the lighting circuit.

FrankWest 10-30-2014 12:48 PM

still can't find it

DavidG 10-30-2014 04:51 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Frank,

The photos below may help. Both pertain to a largely original four-cylinder '33. Note that in the photo the fuse block is located directly below the left side of the ignition coil on the upper vertical portion of the firewall. The illustration is of original wiring and while it is not to scale, it may give you guidance if any of your wiring is not original.

FrankWest 10-30-2014 07:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DavidG (Post 972015)
Frank,

The photos below may help. Both pertain to a largely original four-cylinder '33. Note that in the photo the fuse block is located directly below the left side of the ignition coil on the upper vertical portion of the firewall. The illustration is of original wiring and while it is not to scale, it may give you guidance if any of your wiring is not original.

This is wonderful information! I will look at my car in detail. You are the greatest!

FrankWest 10-31-2014 01:42 PM

Found it! Everything looks original.
My fuse was broken.

DavidG 10-31-2014 07:15 PM

Super!

FrankWest 10-31-2014 07:27 PM

Thanks for all you help. I could not have done it without your help!
My Head lights woik!
My dash lights briefly flickered as a switch them on. The swith must need cleaning!
Dome light does not woik! How fo you open the dome light fixture?

DavidG 10-31-2014 10:43 PM

There's a split retaining ring on the perimeter of the lens nested into a grove in the dome lamp housing. You need to carefully pry that ring out to release the lens. To be on the safe side have someone hold a towel immediately under the lamp while you're doing your prying as the lens may suddenly come loose and fall before you can catch it. Very few lenses survive the fall if not caught midair.