The Ford Barn

The Ford Barn (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Model A (1928-31) (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   MAFCA Social Media Page now welcomes Shay Model-As (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=313951)

BRENT in 10-uh-C 05-31-2022 11:29 AM

MAFCA Social Media Page now welcomes Shay Model-As

:rolleyes: For those that don't frequent MAFCA's Social Media page, it appears the Administrators feel it is appropriate that Shay Model-A replicas should be allowed to participate on the Model-A Ford Club of America's official social media page since afterall, the Shay looks just like a Model-A.

I cannot help but just roll my eyes and shake my head is disbelief when reading some of the points viewers have made on why they should be allowed. I guess that is where this hobby is heading... :confused:

jquinlan 05-31-2022 11:58 AM

Re: MAFCA Social Media Page now welcomes Shay Model-As

That's not good. A Shay is not a Model 'A'. It's a pinto I believe.

ETAModel 05-31-2022 02:20 PM

Just more proof the world is going to Hell.

jack backer 05-31-2022 03:21 PM

There is a reason for everything, I believe their drive for membership and revenue opens the door to all kinds as long as they pony up. For the longest time the web site was a free advertising opportunity for a clown with a Model A business, every response directed the poster to his parts concern..the page does draw in the new model a owners and it’s interesting to spot trends..

Oldbluoval 05-31-2022 04:55 PM

Lawdy lawdy miss claudie
Has the fat lady sang? It ain’t over till she does…….I think I hear her warming up!

GPierce 05-31-2022 05:08 PM

Good reason to to stay off social media.

Tacoma Bob 05-31-2022 05:38 PM

LOL. That thread got pretty out of hand in a hurry. I posted short and sweet. "Shays are a facsimile" (at best).

johnneilson 05-31-2022 05:50 PM

Well, I guess it was bound to happen.
A couple years ago I took a coupe to the local cars and coffee events.
After securing a large coffee I returned to the coop and found a young man just looking at everything on my car. His initial comment was how different mine was than his. I thought he was referring to the OHV head, 5 speed and Halibrand rearend. Then he brought his over close to mine and I noticed it was a Shay. He had purchased it off the web for a pretty penny and was told it was an authentic Model "A".

I see him every now and then and we chat, he enjoys it, Good on Him.

John

jack backer 05-31-2022 05:57 PM

Nothing wrong with a Pinto.. had a friend turbo one ran it on propane.. clean and fast

Chuck Sea/Tac 05-31-2022 06:05 PM

If shays are accepted, as a 70’s look alike, then why not any other model A body(steel or plastic), with any kind of running gear! WTF!

The Master Cylinder 05-31-2022 06:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BRENT in 10-uh-C (Post 2134595)
:rolleyes: For those that don't frequent MAFCA's Social Media page, it appears the Administrators feel it is appropriate that Shay Model-A replicas should be allowed to participate on the Model-A Ford Club of America's official social media page since afterall, the Shay looks just like a Model-A.

I cannot help but just roll my eyes and shake my head is disbelief when reading some of the points viewers have made on why they should be allowed. I guess that is where this hobby is heading... :confused:

Do you have a link to the MAFCA Social Media page? I'm lazy and don't want to go searchin'.

Synchro909 05-31-2022 06:32 PM

As far as I know, no Shays are in this country and if someone tried to register one, the obstacles would be insurmountable. They wouldn't pass the engineering inspection that every car not previously registered has to undergo for a start. I think that last statement says plenty about them.

Ruth 05-31-2022 06:40 PM

That kind of blows the hell out of their Mission Statement, "The Model A Ford Club of America, Inc. (MAFCA) is dedicated to the restoration, preservation and enjoyment of the Ford Model A and AA cars and trucks, as manufactured from 1928 through 1931."

Jeff/Illinois 05-31-2022 07:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ruth (Post 2134716)
That kind of blows the hell out of their Mission Statement, "The Model A Ford Club of America, Inc. (MAFCA) is dedicated to the restoration, preservation and enjoyment of the Ford Model A and AA cars and trucks, as manufactured from 1928 through 1931."

Man you said THAT right

Sounds like they are hungry for $$

Are 'Glasstique' Model A's next? Yowsa they be pretty ugly.

shew01 05-31-2022 07:12 PM

When I read the first post, I thought this might be an April Fool’s day joke, but I guess not….

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

180 a 05-31-2022 08:00 PM

I Have been member of MAFCA for close to 40 years . When they start letting Shay join MAAFCA then they will loose me.

jack wingard 05-31-2022 08:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BRENT in 10-uh-C (Post 2134595)

I just gave Michael a ear beating, letting members decide, who does he think he is????, he's not even an elected Board member.

Jordan 05-31-2022 10:32 PM

I don't think it was meant to be a negative... & it's not like he's turning the group into a "shays" group... I just think that he's open minded to allowing Shays to participate in the group. We have a shay that comes on tour with us in our club. Doesn't take away anything from the other cars. The person who drives the shay knows his car isn't like the others and he points out the differences to people when they ask about his car.

My 2 cents which I know won't amount to much.

Richard in Anaheim CA 06-01-2022 01:30 AM

Both MAFCA and our local club charters state "You do not have to own a Model A to join, just have an interest in Model A's.

Our local Orange Co Model A club has quite an eclectic collection with a couple of Hot Rod appearing cars, there are 16 inch wheels, tube shocks, Weber and Stromberg carburetors, turn signals dozens of modern cars on tours at different times and at least one Shay roadster.

The owner of the Shay has back problems restricting work on his cars but he participates in the club and takes our "Pinto" jokes with good nature. I have recommended that another member with diminishing leg strength might consider a Shay to continue driving.

I love my Model A's and drive them as much as possible but I belong to the clubs to be with my friends which happen to be people not the cars.

I am not bothered by an occasional inquiry about a Shay but do not agree with a special forum.

Richard
Anaheim CA

Big hammer 06-01-2022 06:58 AM

“Shay it ain’t so Sam” there’s going to be alot work for the fine points people!