The Ford Barn

The Ford Barn (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Model A (1928-31) (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Advise for installing camshaft timing gear (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=257627)

oldbike99 01-14-2019 09:28 PM

Advise for installing camshaft timing gear

As the title says, I am looking for advise on installing the new gear on the camshaft of my Model A. Pressed on, tapped on?

Thank you in advance.

MAG 01-14-2019 10:25 PM

Re: Advise for installing camshaft timing gear

It is lightly tapped on.

George Miller 01-15-2019 09:24 AM

The cam gear has a big nut holding it on, takes a special wrench to take it off.

jhowes 01-15-2019 09:49 AM

Also the torque on that big special nut is a bit of a mystery. I'd swear I read somewhere that it is 100 ft lb. but I can't find it now. Also you can order a modern 6 faced nut from the venders. It is cheaper than the special wrench that the originals take Jack

katy 01-15-2019 12:09 PM

Quote:

I'd swear I read somewhere that it is 100 ft lb. but I can't find it now
It's inside the front of Bratton's catalogue.

Dick Steinkamp 01-15-2019 12:19 PM

I've taken the stock nut off with a brass drift and a BFH.

oldbike99 01-15-2019 08:01 PM

My question is how much force is required to install the new gear on the camshaft? Any precautions?

PC/SR 01-15-2019 09:16 PM

Very little force is required to fit the gear to the camshaft. It might even just slip onto the dowels. Otherwise, gentle tapping.

Purdy Swoft 01-15-2019 09:59 PM

I can usually slip the cam gear over the cam dowels by hand . There is a slight off set to the cam dowels . The gear can be forced over the dowels wrong so care needs to be taken . I use the hex nut that is listed in Snyders catalog . I don't think that Ford listed torque values for model A bolts or nuts . I think that 100 ft. lbs . torque on the cam nut is a bit excessive . I just use common sense when tightening . Though I have done it before, I don't recommend using a rag between the timing gears to keep them from turning when tightening the cam nut . It is best to remove the side timing cover and use a clamp and wood blocks to hold the cam gear from turning . The rag method puts strain on the gear teeth . If the rag method is used with a fiber cam gear , the gear usually fails quickly . For longer timing gear life , I prefer to use either the bronze or aluminum cam gear .

Bud 01-15-2019 11:25 PM

I have also tried to find where the 100 ft-lbs came from and could not find the source. The nut is only about .41 thick. The thread diameter is 1.00". In my opinion if you go over about 70 to 75 ft-lbs you may strip the threads off the nut.

jerry tocci 01-17-2019 04:39 PM

I did mine by removing valve springs and placing a mirror against radiator and hand crank for alignment

Dick Steinkamp 01-17-2019 06:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jerry tocci (Post 1717187)
I did mine by removing valve springs and placing a mirror against radiator and hand crank for alignment

Why would you remove the valve springs?

Smooth_One 01-17-2019 09:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dick Steinkamp (Post 1717218)
Why would you remove the valve springs?

I was wondering this myself?

Dan McEachern 01-21-2019 12:04 PM

There is absolutely no reason to torque the cam nut to 100 ft-lbs or even 75 ft-lbs. Where this cam from, I have no idea, but if it is in Bratton's catalog, I wish they would fix it. The advise to use a clamp on the rim of the gear is what I always recommend to anyone changing a gear in the car.