The Ford Barn

The Ford Barn (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Model A (1928-31) (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Installing early V8 hydraulics on an A (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=148594)

russcc 09-02-2014 07:34 PM

Installing early V8 hydraulics on an A

I did a search to see if someone had mapped out the steps needed to convert the A to early V8 hydraulics, no luck. A friend asked me to see what I could find. He is a master machinist and fabricator, so trimming drums and backing plates etc is nothing for him. The hydraulics are going in an sprint car with an A rear end and front end he is building from scratch, not a real A. No need for comments about mechanical vs hydraulics, as my A has mechanicals and they work fine. This is for re-created race car. Thank you.

Tom Endy 09-02-2014 09:27 PM

Re: Installing early V8 hydraulics on an A

Cling's Aftermarket Products Inc.
12452 S. 71st St.
Tempe, AZ 85284
Phone: 480-777-1201
Owner: Dennis Cling

Dennis specializes in hydraulic brake conversions for Model A's. He has a booklet he sells that tells you everything you need to know about the conversion. He also sells all of the conversion parts needed in kit form. He also provides services such as rotating the rear V8 backing plates so that the bleed valves clear the Model A shackle mounts. Dennis is also a nice fellow to do business with.

If you are going to run Model A wheels you will also need adapter plates. For these contact:

MT Car Products
Phone: 530-872-0122

Tom Endy

quickchange 09-02-2014 11:47 PM

Why would you bother, Im just taking a set off plus converting to RHD for custmer , Really with proper set up rod brakes & Flathead reds floaters installed they are as good if not better & no maintance needed, just my view having both , Spring has arrived in NZ

1931 flamingo 09-03-2014 11:51 AM

If you go over to the HAMB, if I remember right, do a search, and I think detailed instructions WITH pictures can be found.

Paul in CT

700rpm 09-03-2014 12:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1931 flamingo (Post 939455)
If you go over to the HAMB, if I remember right, do a search, and I think detailed instructions WITH pictures can be found.

Paul in CT

Yeah, this is the wrong forum. It's like going into McDonald's and asking for a pizza. HAMB is a better bet.

Joe K 09-03-2014 04:28 PM

And when done, one's stopping is still governed by the frictional area of the tread. Going to hydraulic won't improve your stopping - and will leave you a car which when in a skidding stop won't necessarily be steerable in the skid - since it's difficult to set up "proportioning" between front and rear brakes - and balance between left and right.

You might even create a car which will do a 180 on a skidding stop...

Well, it never happened to me...

Joe K

CarlG 09-03-2014 05:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by russcc (Post 939080)
... No need for comments about mechanical vs hydraulics, ... This is for re-created race car. Thank you.

Did anyone read the first post in this string?:confused:

1931 flamingo 09-03-2014 07:07 PM

Joe K: No offense but a plain (39-48) conversion doesn't need "proportioning", and if adj correctly "balance" won't be a problem. JMO

Paul in CT

hardtimes 09-04-2014 01:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CarlG (Post 939621)
Did anyone read the first post in this string?:confused:

SAY IT AGAIN CARL...don't think anybody read your input either ..ha :)!

firetique57 09-04-2014 02:08 AM

Russ,

Check this link out then talk to Dennis Cling. He just helped me with my conversion.
http://www.lainefamily.com/ModelAFil...akeUpgrade.htm

Andy

Jim Brierley 09-04-2014 10:22 AM

russ, hydraulics are ideal for your sprinter for several reasons. they have more brake area and the drums are cast iron being a couple of those. they were designed for cars heavier than the A. i recommend machining .100" off the ends of the A axle housings to allow the backing plates to sit further inboard, otherwise you will likely have interference between the backers and the drums.