The Ford Barn

The Ford Barn (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Model A (1928-31) (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   rubber.... (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=240784)

hardtimes 03-13-2018 02:35 PM

rubber....

I would show pictures, because we all are aware what a picture is worth in words !
Does anyone know of a source of GOOD USA made rubber parts for cars, and specifically the Model A ?

If I could show pictures, I'd show the terrible deteriorated rubber under the light stands. Remember that part of this rubber stick out to be seen. I have a floor mat that crunches like tatorchips. And , the rubber 'dust shields' (two years old) around the emergency brake cables, where they enter the rear backer plates...have now fallen off ! This on a car,'30 roadster that is garaged most times.

duke36 03-13-2018 02:58 PM

Re: rubber....

Steele Rubber Parts, though can be pricey. 800- 447-0849

1930-Pickup 03-13-2018 03:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by duke36 (Post 1604639)

x2 :)
I haven't used them for Model A's, but I have for other cars and their quality is excellent.

Keith True 03-13-2018 03:58 PM

I didn't know Steele made any parts for the A.When I was doing a 37 Pontiac back in the late 70's-early 80's,I asked about A parts.They told me that there were enough other outfits making rubber parts for the A.I was told they had dabbled in it,but to make a quality product the price would be nearly double what others were selling parts for.The old,'I would pay more for a quality part',seems to apply more to talk than real life.There are always some that will step up,but most would just buy the cheapo version.I haven't bought anything from them for years,they may be doing A parts now.I bought a half dozen floormats from JC Whitney on a closeout in the early 80's.They are all still in use and seem fine.That was not what I expected from mats I paid $6.95 each for.

Synchro909 03-13-2018 04:27 PM

For say, an extra 10% added to the cost, these manufacturers could multiply the life of components by a factor of .... who knows, maybe 5 times. That means they only sell about 20% of what they do now. Add to that how most people aren't smart enough to do the numbers, and you have crap on the market and a reluctance to improve it. In addition, vendors can't send crap back (even if they wanted to improve things) because by the time a problem surfaces, it's too late.
Good luck getting an improvement though I hope you do.

1930-Pickup 03-13-2018 06:05 PM

Its true, most Model A owners will not step up to pay extra for better quality. Even when you can demonstrate with numbers (as has been said) that paying extra now is far less expensive than doing the job again, and again.

My father-in-law, the nice guy that he was, was the poster child for 'cheap-gimme-china-cheap'. He died owning NOTHING of quality...he was surrounded by his own mediocrity his whole life. Why do people choose to live like that!?

hardtimes 03-13-2018 10:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by duke36 (Post 1604639)

Hey Duke,
Can you say if Steele makes rubber parts for model A ?

I'll give them a call anyway, thanks much for the contact number.

hardtimes 03-13-2018 10:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1930-Pickup (Post 1604715)
Its true, most Model A owners will not step up to pay extra for better quality. Even when you can demonstrate with numbers (as has been said) that paying extra now is far less expensive than doing the job again, and again.

My father-in-law, the nice guy that he was, was the poster child for 'cheap-gimme-china-cheap'. He died owning NOTHING of quality...he was surrounded by his own mediocrity his whole life. Why do people choose to live like that!?

I'll answer question for myself, that if I could buy USA quality rubber parts for my model A....for triple the price of what most charge now, without question, I'd step up for that quality.

WHY ?
Just think of all the work that goes into putting that crappy imitation rubber into place on you model A ! I like working on my Model A, but not to constantly taking off the same parts over/over and putting same crap rubber on. So, what's three/four times the price for QUALITY rubber parts, compared to hours/work dis-assembling and assembling....just to redo with bad rubber. Maybe I'll just make my own out of USA made quality sheet rubber, if such can be found.

And, don't be too hard on the 'old timers' for being frugal ! Unless you walked in their shoes ! In other words, if you haven't had and/or lived thru hardtimes, you really do not have a clue. In todays throw away world, more is wasted than the old timers could have ever dreamed of having.
However, that being said, at least they had good quality USA made rubber, something that we do not have.
I just visited with my 99yr old FIL , yesterday birthday. I'm not a young guy, but he has me by 25 years. I don't tell him any 'war stories' about how hard it was coming up, because he tells about 'things' that are hard to top/follow. He drove USED Model As to work for many/many years, not because he loved them, but because had to, and learned how to fix and repair daily !!

1930-Pickup 03-14-2018 12:46 AM

hardtimes- I hear what you're saying. I believe that those who lived through the hard times emerged as frugal people, not cheap people. There is a difference.

cpf240 03-14-2018 01:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hardtimes (Post 1604815)
Hey Duke,
Can you say if Steele makes rubber parts for model A ?

I'll give them a call anyway, thanks much for the contact number.

Search their site...

https://www.steelerubber.com/

desotoguy 03-14-2018 06:16 AM

Checked the Steele site for rubber parts for a 31 A Coupe. Found something interesting I have wondered about. They have a rubber that goes in the metal channel to hold the door glass. This piece has a flange to seal the window to the outside when the window is up. Never seen this before, anyone used this? As stated, kind of pricey at $15.50 for a 36" strip. https://www.steelerubber.com/channel...rip-20-2091-62

BillCNC 03-14-2018 09:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by desotoguy (Post 1604868)
Checked the Steele site for rubber parts for a 31 A Coupe. Found something interesting I have wondered about. They have a rubber that goes in the metal channel to hold the door glass. This piece has a flange to seal the window to the outside when the window is up. Never seen this before, anyone used this? As stated, kind of pricey at $15.50 for a 36" strip. https://www.steelerubber.com/channel...rip-20-2091-62

The only thing Model A on that site IS the felt weather stripping you mentioned.

Regards
Bill

hardtimes 03-15-2018 02:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BillCNC (Post 1604927)
The only thing Model A on that site IS the felt weather stripping you mentioned.

Regards
Bill

Hey Bill,
Yeah, I looked this site over also.
Odd, no model a parts, when they picture a model a sedan on web page ?
Anyway, they also offer catalogues. I ordered the 'MODEL A' (hopefully inclusive) catalogue. We'll see what's what if/when it arrives.

Also, tried to locate real USA made rubber sheets via ebay. Tons of 'stuff', but nothing that I found in the rubber gasket making category.
I know some source makes/sells such USA made material, but I'm not good with computer to locate.

BillCNC 03-24-2018 02:04 PM

I received my Catalog from Steelrubber and for the Model A, it's comical. The sent the regular catalog, useless to me, and a foldout color brochure with one page stapled into it,

As stated before, ... they have just one item, Channel Filler Weatherstripping for $15.50 each, that's it!

I filed the whole shebang into the trash. Looks like they waisted $2.05 sending it to me.

Regards
Bill

Mike V. Florida 03-24-2018 11:38 PM

This may be way out there but I think it has relevance USA made parts being way more expensive. Just a note though it was decided that if a component had more then 50% parts made in the US it was considered made in the US.

The most important part, the home was only 1% more than a "standard" home.

This house was built in 2011;

http://www.builderonline.com/buildin...merica-house_o

hardtimes 03-25-2018 12:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BillCNC (Post 1609235)
I received my Catalog from Steelrubber and for the Model A, it's comical. The sent the regular catalog, useless to me, and a foldout color brochure with one page stapled into it,

As stated before, ... they have just one item, Channel Filler Weatherstripping for $15.50 each, that's it!

I filed the whole shebang into the trash. Looks like they waisted $2.05 sending it to me.

Regards
Bill

Hey Bill,
I just received my Steel catalogue also.
I am still going thru it. But, I did already see 'sheet rubber' 3/16" thick to be sold in 1 foot increments as in 1 foot wide x 3 feet long. It says American made. That just may be what I need to make gaskets for under the tail light stands and under the headlight bar ends, etc.
I agree though that mose of what I've seen so far does not apply for Model A.

BTW...what do the high end restoration guys use/get their rubber parts. I can not see them putting up with what I've been using and its deterioration !