The Ford Barn

The Ford Barn (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Early V8 (1932-53) (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Oil change process (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=274233)

Clem Clement 12-18-2019 10:51 PM

Oil change process

I have not run my restored 40MEREC since mid July. She waits for a oil change which I am fully remiss in doing. I'm in cardio rehab so my tin waits. The oil is dark

do I start it her and warm up the setting oil before draining out the oil; or drain it static? I do not have a filter.

dbtenner 12-18-2019 10:53 PM

Re: Oil change process

You always want to drain the oil warm as it decreases viscosity and drains out better.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

51 MERC-CT 12-19-2019 04:18 AM

Since the car has not been run for a long period of time, the old crappy oil has drained into the oil pan.
Starting it to warm it up just pumps that oil that has managed to drain out of any lubricated parts back into the system.
In your case it really does'nt matter if it drains better or quicker.
Just drain it cold and let it do so for as long as it takes to stop dripping.

chap52 12-19-2019 07:18 AM

I understand the "garage floor" cardio experience. I drain it cold. As stated no need to wake up the sleeping crud. Take out the drain plug and let it drain overnight. Next day replace the filter and fil put in the new oil... Chap

Clem Clement 12-19-2019 09:56 AM

Thanks. In 6 months the big lumps should be at the bottom. When I gain strength I'll do it. Interestingly the restorer painted the big plug. I'll have to figure out how to release it without messing up the paint.
Merry Christmas

Tim Ayers 12-19-2019 09:57 AM

A few times, I've drained them cold and then refilled with the cheapest oil I can find. Run the cheap oil for a warm up cycle and then drain that warm.

Once the cheap oil is drained, I refill with good stuff. Seems to catch the left overs from the cold drain.

Just another approach on how to do it

JSeery 12-19-2019 10:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tim Ayers (Post 1833004)
A few times, I've drained them cold and then refilled with the cheapest oil I can find. Run the cheap oil for a warm up cycle and then drain that warm.

Once the cheap oil is drained, I refill with good stuff. Seems to catch the left overs from the cold drain.

Agree with Tim, this is the approach I would take.

JSeery 12-19-2019 10:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Clem Clement (Post 1833002)
Thanks. In 6 months the big lumps should be at the bottom. When I gain strength I'll do it. Interestingly the restorer painted the big plug. I'll have to figure out how to release it without messing up the paint.
Merry Christmas

I would use something like an Exacto knife to cut around where the plug meets the pan.

Bored&Stroked 12-19-2019 12:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Clem Clement (Post 1833002)
Merry Christmas

Put masking tape on two sides and use a BIG crescent wrench - not a pair of Channel Locks like most tend to use. Or, maybe a big-ass socket. I have a crescent wrench the size of God - works well for that big ole' plug. No idea as to why Henry had to make it that way . . .

solidaxle 12-19-2019 01:05 PM

Quote:

Not to say this is wrong, I would do this if it was sitting for years without starting. For six months it's probably not really necessary. With that said, if mine is pretty dirty, I will drain the pan ,wait for it to stop dripping and pour a half quart of new oil in the filler to push any left old oil out.

If you are using synthetic or blend, it's not a good idea to flush with mineral type oil.

Tim Ayers 12-19-2019 02:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by solidaxle (Post 1833055)
Not to say this is wrong, I would do this if it was sitting for years without starting. For six months it's probably not really necessary. With that said, if mine is pretty dirty, I will drain the pan ,wait for it to stop dripping and pour a half quart of new oil in the filler to push any left old oil out.

If you are using synthetic or blend, it's not a good idea to flush with mineral type oil.

Deleted comment

Seth Swoboda 12-19-2019 02:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bored&Stroked (Post 1833046)
Put masking tape on two sides and use a BIG crescent wrench - not a pair of Channel Locks like most tend to use. Or, maybe a big-ass socket. I have a crescent wrench the size of God - works well for that big ole' plug. No idea as to why Henry had to make it that way . . .

It was the precursor to speedy lube. Fast drain times.

Merc Cruzer 12-19-2019 03:24 PM

Just changed the 2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee cold. What I learned: Too may years of "old school", where you wind up with hot oil running down you hands and arms. Now on to the "cold oil change" for the 53' Merc and my wifes 70 Cougar. Thanks guys for the lesson learned.

A bones 12-19-2019 03:34 PM

Quote:

What he said. When you consider what it protects, oil is cheap.

51 MERC-CT 12-19-2019 04:17 PM

Speaking of a better way than crawling under the car to drain oil, this is a thread that I started about a year ago.-----

https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=253773

19Fordy 12-20-2019 10:17 AM

Does the idea of draining the warm old oil and then putting in a quart of kerosene
(without the engine running) help in draining out the old oil and sledge that may have accumulated?

Add fresh oil after kerosene has drained out. QUESTION: Will the residual kerosene harm the engine by doing this?

A bones 12-20-2019 11:06 AM

Old timers way back when would get hold of a customer's gummed up, neglected smoker. Drain the oil fill it with kero let it sit idling until the smoke quit (the rings now were free ) drain and fill with fresh oil. The neighbors loved it. NOT!

BTW Hydraulic Lifters ended such therapy.

Bill S 12-20-2019 11:56 PM

A few years ago in the early 50s when I was in High School I worked in a SERVICE STATION. Note service. Well we would flush engines. 1/2 oil and 1/2 kerosene and run the engine until good and warm. Drain the engine and put fresh oil in.

40 Deluxe 12-21-2019 12:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 19Fordy (Post 1833323)
Does the idea of draining the warm old oil and then putting in a quart of kerosene
(without the engine running) help in draining out the old oil and sledge that may have accumulated?

Add fresh oil after kerosene has drained out. QUESTION: Will the residual kerosene harm the engine by doing this?

Likely won't do any good. The kerosene will just make a beeline for the drain opening and be gone. To do any good, it has to slosh around in the engine awhile. And while many engines have been flushed (supposedly) with kerosene or Diesel fuel and survived, I don't want my engine's oil diluted with a non-lubricant!

Tinker 12-21-2019 12:33 AM

Clem I bet your fine just draining the oil and doing a oil change. Better then not doing a oil change. If you didn't know the engine, then a pan drop.

Don't worry!