The Ford Barn

The Ford Barn (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Model A (1928-31) (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Rear Axle Bent? (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=244699)

norcalal 05-20-2018 10:35 PM

Rear Axle Bent?

I installed a complete rebuilt rear end in my Model A about 1000 miles ago and the left rear brakes still have a very slight drag and seem out of round.The drum has been turned, shoes replaced and have adjusted them numerous times. The last time I jacked up that side and ran the engine and spun that wheel, applying the brakes. The drum is warm but hot in one spot. I further noticed the tapered end of the hub had a small amount of runout, and seemed not to run true.. What hints do you have except disassembly and axle replacement? I run 40 ford brakes, but think that shouldn't make a difference. Your input is appreciated!

Jacksonlll 05-21-2018 06:41 AM

Re: Rear Axle Bent?

The axle shaft just turns the wheel. The bearing keeps it running true. Most brakes have a little drag in spots.

katy 05-21-2018 08:30 AM

Does the wheel wobble when driving?
It's possible the axle has a small bend, but the only way to be sure would be to remove it and check it for trueness.

dumb person 05-24-2018 01:40 AM

Last time i pulled apart a model A axle i saw nothing that would indicate the axle would affect it much if anything at all.

Dave in MN 05-24-2018 07:31 AM

A bent axle will cause a wobble and could result in the freshly turned drum and hub to intermittently rub on the brake shoes. Most bends in an axle will be near the tapered end that mates to the hub.
Good Day!

tinman080 05-27-2018 03:02 AM

Dave is correct, a bent axle shaft will cause a VISIBLE wobble, and a tight spot on the brake shoe when turned. However if very minor shouldn't be a problem. Is the backing plate true to the drum? Does the axle bearing appear to be consistent with the other side as far as play?

old31 05-27-2018 05:14 AM

I would go drive it and keep applying the brakes. Once in the garage (or on the side of the road) i would shoot all four drums with a IF gun and see what you have.

Tom in Newnan 05-30-2018 12:34 PM

I appreciate your dedication to solving the problem although it seems minor as you describe it. The very end of the axle could be bent, but the design of the axle would make it difficult to do. If these cars could talk they might be able to explain some of the unique problems they present. Suggestion: Try moving the drum to the other side and see if the problem moves. If so, it is the drum, if not, it is the axle.

Kurt in NJ 05-30-2018 04:11 PM

If you remove the key and any burrs that prevent easy turning on the taper try jacking both wheels off the ground, put in 3rd gear and have the other wheel turned while you hold the drum/ wheel assembly to the axle--- if it wobbles when you spin the axle in the hub the axle is bent--- you can try it with just the drum , but the movement at the "wheel would be easier to feel because it is amplified by the distance

Charlie Stephens 05-30-2018 04:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by norcalal (Post 1631284)
I installed a complete rebuilt rear end in my Model A about 1000 miles ago and the left rear brakes still have a very slight drag and seem out of round.The drum has been turned, shoes replaced and have adjusted them numerous times. The last time I jacked up that side and ran the engine and spun that wheel, applying the brakes. The drum is warm but hot in one spot. I further noticed the tapered end of the hub had a small amount of runout, and seemed not to run true.. What hints do you have except disassembly and axle replacement? I run 40 ford brakes, but think that shouldn't make a difference. Your input is appreciated!

The good thing about hydraulic brakes is that you can buy a relatively inexpensive set of "brake clips" to hold the drum on in case of an axle failure. Might be a good investment since you have some sort of a problem. I run them on my car and I don't have a problem to worry about, just extra insurance.

Charlie Stephens

norcalal 06-10-2018 10:34 PM

Thank you for all the replies, and so do believe a progress report is called for. Axle housing bearing is within two thousandths round, engine running in second gear when spinning axle both side look equally true.( Again, I have 40 ford hydraulic brakes) Took the brake shoes to a stationary belt sander and (arced them) previous wear showed almost total contact .Reassembled, adjustment didnt feel right on lower pivots. But took for a short drive. Seems OK Will get more miles on the car before I take it to the Reno meet. All of you probably think I'm a crybaby, but on the last 1500 mile tour the left rear 19 inch wheel was the only one with lots of brake lining dust on the 19 inch wheel. Not acceptable! And a bit of brake drag never did go away! Thanks to all who replied. Anyone have anymore thoughts?

Bob C 06-11-2018 11:42 AM

This is a long shot. There were bad wheel cylinders some time ago with the
hole drilled in the wrong location. See the thread in this link, especially post
# 21. https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showt...heel+cylinders

Bob