The Ford Barn

The Ford Barn (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Model A (1928-31) (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Crankshaft pulley question (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=267094)

marty in Ohio 07-31-2019 06:51 AM

Crankshaft pulley question

I'm reading about the difference in a one piece pulley vs. a two piece pulley. The two piece can be removed without taking the radiator out? I assume the two piece can only be initially installed with the engine or the radiator out. Am I right? A friend is afraid his pulley is wobbling and we don't know which pulley he has. We have access to the "special wrench" but not sure there really is a problem. How can we tell which pulley we are looking at?
Marty

Jacksonlll 07-31-2019 07:57 AM

Re: Crankshaft pulley question

If the big nut is tight, and pulley is still loose, it has to come off. If it is broken, it can wipe out both of your rope seals and that is a bigger job. Take off the nut and see what you have.

ursus 07-31-2019 11:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jacksonlll (Post 1782591)
If the big nut is tight, and pulley is still loose, it has to come off. If it is broken, it can wipe out both of your rope seals and that is a bigger job. Take off the nut and see what you have.

That is good advice. If the pulley cannot be snugged up with the bolt then both need to be inspected. There were some bolts sold for a time that were too long on the threaded portion and could not be snugged up to the pulley. Tightening them further unfortunately caused the crankshaft snout to break, a very big problem.

john in illinois 07-31-2019 04:48 PM

You should be able to see a line where the 2 pieces join if you clean it off. If it is a 2 piece.
As said,if loose remove it.

https://www.brattons.com/two-piece-c...ft-pulley.html

John

Joe K 07-31-2019 06:41 PM

Most two piece pulleys are done in a sort of square "dog-clutch" arrangement marrying the two parts. These are easy to spot both with and without the nut in place. (Maybe less easy to see if you have the 1-1/2" nut and not the 1-3/16")

Another variant in two piece exists in a "screwed together" version. I imagine this one is near to impossible to determine visually, and for all practical purposes for repair has to be treated as a "one-piece."

Joe K

marty in Ohio 08-01-2019 06:38 AM

Guys,
Thanks for the responses. We borrowed the "special wrench" last night and we're going to try to tighten things up this morning. I'll let you all know how things worked out.
Marty

30 Closed Cab PU 08-01-2019 07:43 AM

If you need to get the ratchet nut off. Jam teh wrench handle against the frame, ignition off, and then quick momentary energizing the starter to loosen the nut.

marty in Ohio 08-01-2019 09:57 AM

Everything is tightened up and all's well.
Thanks for the help.
Marty

100IH 08-01-2019 12:48 PM

With so many manufacturers making 2 piece units, tolerances have sometimes migrated. There is a shim to use under the nut to insure a complete clamping force on the pulley segments and the oil baffle and timing gear. check the catalogues or call.

Chuck Sea/Tac 08-01-2019 04:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 100IH (Post 1782991)
With so many manufacturers making 2 piece units, tolerances have sometimes migrated. There is a shim to use under the nut to insure a complete clamping force on the pulley segments and the oil baffle and timing gear. check the catalogues or call.

That’s what I was going to mention : the special washer/shim that the venders sell to make it work.

The Master Cylinder 08-01-2019 05:32 PM