The Ford Barn

The Ford Barn (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Early V8 (1932-53) (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Putting a roof insert in my 1932 Ford coupe (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=248445)

mister32 07-26-2018 08:05 AM

Putting a roof insert in my 1932 Ford coupe

I've had my 32 5w for a while now with no top. It's something that was kind of intimidating for me to try to do and I didn't want to rush into it. I couldn't find much information on how to do it and I was particularly worried about how to stretch the vinyl properly. For a long time I planned on paying someone else to do it. I finally got my head around a game plan and went after it myself just trying to work through it logically. I'm pretty happy with how it came out and I think it fits my coupe nicely. I made a video covering how I went about it. Here's the link below... *Be sure to click "HD" on the video settings so you get the full quality video*
https://youtu.be/3akDquJGeHM

Old Redneck 07-26-2018 08:33 AM

Re: Putting a roof insert in my 1932 Ford coupe

That very nice of you to do this to help others doing this. Thank you very much. Hope others learn to film to show others how to restore there 32.

John R 07-26-2018 09:30 AM

This is a great video! Thanks for taking the time to do it.

mfagan 07-26-2018 09:51 AM

Great job, super nice!

mister32 07-26-2018 11:07 AM

Thanks! I'm sure there are guys on here who could do a better job than me on the roof, but I'm happy with it and maybe someone else will pick something up from it.

JSeery 07-26-2018 11:37 AM

Very interesting approach!

DavidG 07-26-2018 12:35 PM

I agree with JSeery about the approach being "Interesting". I've done four '32 roof replacement successfully, two coupes and two sedans, and should I do a fifth, I would not follow this video. In my opinion, the wood frame and stretching the material on the frame is a wasted step as that can be accomplished on the car during installation.

The video is fine if you are using unfinished components like the installation of the steel molding, but if it is painted, which would most likely be the case, you cannot just whack away with a hammer (and not even a tack hammer at that) without disastrous results. Further without laying down a sealer covering the outer edges of the outer fabric and the tack heads you are asking for water damage to both the wood and the interior headlining.

Sorry to be a wet blanket, but this video has it limitations for use in a restoration.

rotorwrench 07-26-2018 05:46 PM

The frame idea won't even get close on the older fordors & tudors where they wrap down the sides. I've always felt it best do start in the middle front & rear then work the cover out to the sides but as long as the result keeps it looking tidy with no wrinkles, a person can do it any way they feel comfortable with. David is right on the money about those sealing strips. A lot of care has to go into that installation. That stuff is what folks can see and it's not an easy task to seal it and get it on there without messing it up. Drive it in a rain storm and a mistake will show up quick.

prpmmp 07-27-2018 05:40 AM

Thanks for taking the time and effort to post and film your results!! Great Job!! Now if only the others with better ideas would do the same!! Pete

deuce5wndw 07-27-2018 08:14 AM

Nice job! Really like your car too!

TagMan 07-28-2018 04:15 PM

Naysayers, naysayers, naysayers, but they didn't go to the effort of making a YouTube video to help others - good on you for doing so and a big "Thank You!"

Also, glad to see there are younger guys out there actually working on their cars and not just changing computer chips for performance!

rotorwrench 07-28-2018 04:51 PM

It doesn't take a U-tube to figure it out. Folks have been doing it for years before computers ever came out. If he had a freshly painted body and applied protective tape around the edges where the seal strips go and applied sealer then installed them correctly then no one would have said anything. Let him do it correctly next time like any restorer worth his salt would do. That thing will leak in a rain storm unless he seals it all the way around. It has instructional value but it still leaves more questions than answers. The patina thing may attract some folks but I prefer a job well done for instructional value.

DavidG 07-28-2018 06:51 PM

It would be different if there was some 'trick' involved in the installation, but there is none. It is simply common sense, a step at a time. Given the materials used, the kit likely came from LeBaron Bonney and they provide easy-to-follow illustrated instructions.

Vintage Copper 47 07-28-2018 06:56 PM

Great sounding motor! Thanks for the video! :D

outlaw 07-28-2018 10:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TagMan (Post 1656650)
Naysayers, naysayers, naysayers, but they didn't go to the effort of making a YouTube video to help others - good on you for doing so and a big "Thank You!"

Also, glad to see there are younger guys out there actually working on their cars and not just changing computer chips for performance!

I couldn't agree more. I sent you a thank you on the HAMB & I will thank you here too. Those of us who have never attempted this appreciate your making the video. I have this to do on my 36 coupe in the future & although slightly different it gives me some insight on what it will require. Thank you again! Bill https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/images/icons/icon7.gif https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/images/icons/icon14.gifhttps://www.fordbarn.com/forum/images/icons/icon14.gifhttps://www.fordbarn.com/forum/images/icons/icon14.gif

1931flathead 07-28-2018 11:14 PM

Some people you can not please they can do it better then any one I had a boss like that you could do your best but he could do it better didn't mater what it was
At least he tried to do it may not be the Wright way but he got it done I give my hands off for trying to do his best
Just like a paint job on a car there will be some one that will complain about something on it

Tinker 07-28-2018 11:54 PM

I like all the advice given.

When I saw the title "32 roof insert" I thought this might be about filling/welding the 32 roof solid with a cutup mini van roof. Glad it wasn't that. For the mini van sake.:D:eek:

Nice 32.

dumb person 07-29-2018 12:40 AM

I like how you used vinyl with the padding, its like aircon' compared to a solid metal roof.
The video makes me want to put a top on my car.

dodgerb440 01-13-2021 01:24 PM

I tried to watch your video and YouTube said it was a private video (you must be invited to watch it) How do I do that?

JSeery 01-13-2021 05:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dodgerb440 (Post 1973695)
I tried to watch your video and YouTube said it was a private video (you must be invited to watch it) How do I do that?

He was last on the Barn on 12-13-2018. My guess would be he didn't like constructive criticism.