The Ford Barn

The Ford Barn (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Model A (1928-31) (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Two pictures and two motor questions. (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=187521)

Neil Mylar LakewoodCA 01-22-2016 01:21 AM

Two pictures and two motor questions.

2 Attachment(s)
Can anyone look at the picture of the lightened flywheel and tell me how much weight might have been removed?
Also, the cylinder head has two raised circles. Could that be an indication that it is a high compression head?
Thank you.
Regards, Neil

Tiny 01-22-2016 01:50 AM

Re: Two pictures and two motor questions.

Weigh it
And yes u believe that's indicative of the Snyders high compression head

P.S. 01-22-2016 10:36 AM

The flywheel weight is usually removed from the clutch disc friction surface part, so you would have to remove the pressure plate and clutch disc, then measure thickness, compare to stock flywheel, etc. Much easier to put it on the bathroom scale and weigh it like Tiny said..

CarlG 01-22-2016 11:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by P.S. (Post 1228149)
... Much easier to put it on the bathroom scale and weigh it like Tiny said..

That reminds me, I need to get the bathroom scales out of the garage and back into the bathroom. :D

TDO 01-22-2016 11:14 AM

If it's a High compression head the combustion chamber will be heart shaped. Put us a picture of the compression chamber.

Neil Mylar LakewoodCA 01-22-2016 12:02 PM

Thank you everyone for your good responses, but i should have clarified that both the flywheel and the head are still bolted to the motor and i prefer not to remove them. I was hoping that the pictures i took might be enough to answer my questions.

Jerry in Shasta 01-22-2016 01:06 PM

DO NOT remove any more metal from the fly wheel friction area than is absolutely
necessary! If to much is removed the clutch disk will drag on the four flywheel to crankshaft mounting bolts.

JB

Tom Wesenberg 01-22-2016 03:26 PM

You can measure your flywheel size and the original flywheel size then do some math to calculate how much metal was removed, then look up the weight of steel per cubic inch.

And pay attention to what Jerry just said.

Brian T 01-22-2016 03:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Neil Mylar LakewoodCA (Post 1228216)
Thank you everyone for your good responses, but i should have clarified that both the flywheel and the head are still bolted to the motor and i prefer not to remove them. I was hoping that the pictures i took might be enough to answer my questions.

Hello Neil,
The flywheel in your picture shows it to be stock I see nowhere that material as been removed, unless it was done on the backside?, most have been machined for the V8 pressure plate, your pressure plate is stock A.
See you at the swap meet next month? Brian.

Terry, NJ 01-22-2016 05:45 PM

Neil , Having done a few FWs myself, I know what to look for, and yes I see metal gone in one of the places that I remove it. Trouble is that's not the only place where metal is removed. Can you get your finger around the front (Between the FW and the block and see if there's a large bevel on the blockside of the FW. The best thing to do is get a print of the FW, There's one floating around FB and it shows all the places where metall is to be removed and not to be removed. From what I see, I'd take a horse back guess and say about 10-12 lbs has been removed. In my album "My A" there's a pic show my FW after I turned it down what I think was about 10 lbs. Look for a new balancing hole that's been put in the FW .
Terry

ccb360 01-22-2016 06:21 PM

The raised areas are the same as on my engine's 5.5 head.

Mike V. Florida 01-23-2016 01:13 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Terry, NJ (Post 1228412)
Neil , Having done a few FWs myself, I know what to look for, and yes I see metal gone in one of the places that I remove it. Trouble is that's not the only place where metal is removed. Can you get your finger around the front (Between the FW and the block and see if there's a large bevel on the blockside of the FW. The best thing to do is get a print of the FW, There's one floating around FB and it shows all the places where metall is to be removed and not to be removed. From what I see, I'd take a horse back guess and say about 10-12 lbs has been removed. In my album "My A" there's a pic show my FW after I turned it down what I think was about 10 lbs. Look for a new balancing hole that's been put in the FW .
Terry

here you go;