The Ford Barn

The Ford Barn (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Early V8 (1932-53) (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   33/34 roadster door profile (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=253658)

Ed Solari 10-24-2018 09:32 AM

33/34 roadster door profile

1 Attachment(s)
The bottom front edge of the door appears not to be flush with the rocker panel. That is at the hinge edge the rocker is mainly "flush" with door but as it moves forward it ends protruding outward from the front door bottom???? (see red arrow in pix) Is this correct ..if so how much??? Can someone post a pix of view of closed door looking down from the door handle???

Thank you very much

DavidG 10-24-2018 10:38 AM

Re: 33/34 roadster door profile

The door outer panel should be flush with the quarter panel at the hinges and with the cowl side at the front, but not flush with the rocker panel, which is a continuation of the lower body molding of the cowl and quarter panel. The "how much" is determined by the thickness of the lower body molding compared to the body sheet metal directly above the molding on the cowl side and quarter panel side. No photo will accurately convey that, but the use of a depth micrometer or even a good ruler will.

It sounds like your rocker panel at the B or hinge pillar is inward from where it should be.

rockfla 10-24-2018 10:54 AM

1 Attachment(s)
David

Do the USA open cars "not" have an adjustment truss rod with a turnbuckle in the middle to help "align"/"Shape" the door like pictured below???

DavidG 10-24-2018 11:57 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Robert,

Originally there was a steel strap running from corner to corner to help maintain the door's profile as shown in the photo below, but no turnbuckle. In restorations, some add turnbuckles.

In this situation it seemingly would not help as the problem is not at the front of the door but rather at the back of the door where there is very little 'give' below the hinge.

Karl Wescott 10-24-2018 12:40 PM

Two footnotes here.

First, the Australian doors are shorter than the US doors and do not hang below the floor level, there is a splash apron used on the Oz cars between the running board and the body, not on North American cars where the doors hang below the frame level and the bottom of the rocker aligns with the running boards.

Second, my understanding is the Steve's Auto Restoration steel bodies differ a little from original in the door area, enough to cause interchange challenges but not easy for most people to visualize on a finished car.

rockfla 10-24-2018 12:56 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by DavidG (Post 1688866)
Robert,

Originally there was a steel strap running from corner to corner to help maintain the door's profile as shown in the photo below, but no turnbuckle. In restorations, some add turnbuckles.

In this situation it seemingly would not help as the problem is not at the front of the door but rather at the back of the door where there is very little 'give' below the hinge.

David
As I went back and looked our Aussie Ute has the"strap" you speak of!!!!

DavidG 10-24-2018 01:39 PM

Karl,

But the body and door in question were North American in origin, both from the photo and from what I recall of Ed Solari's previous postings on his project.

Karl Wescott 10-24-2018 01:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DavidG (Post 1688915)
Karl,

But the body and door in question were North American in origin, both from the photo and from what I recall of Ed Solari's previous postings on his project.

Quite true, my answer was to be pertinent to someone down the road who might review this thread, especially if we were not to be around to answer!

DavidG 10-24-2018 02:17 PM

Good point! As the new Club '33-'34 book will be international in scope, like the Club, there will be extensive coverage devoted to the Australian versions as well as those that were produced in Europe thanks to local major contributors. Not to be left out, the unique factory paint options in Canada for '33s will also be included. This assumes the lead author will live long enough to complete it.

FlatheadTed 10-24-2018 02:31 PM

1 Attachment(s)
My observations of door alignment on a roadster is that the door sits out from the sill about 1/8 starting just before your arrow and ends up flush with the B pillar at the hinge.more or less what David saying Ted

FlatheadTed 10-24-2018 02:40 PM

This gap is determined by the curve in the lower door wood as well . Ted.

Karl Wescott 10-24-2018 04:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DavidG (Post 1688915)
Karl,

Quite true, my answer was to be pertinent to someone down the road who might review this thread, especially if we were not to be around to answer!

FlatheadTed 10-24-2018 09:17 PM

Don't make the mistake like I did , I think final screwing of the door wood should take place with the door mounted on the car with a gap at the top front of approximately 1/4. As has been said the strap pulls the door front in but is often assisted by a turn buckle .Ted

FlatheadTed 10-24-2018 10:25 PM

1 Attachment(s)
This is what Karl is talking about ,

Digger 10-24-2018 11:34 PM

Does the inside handle go straight up vertically, or horizontally?

deuce lover 10-24-2018 11:51 PM

I did mine in the 1970's, horizontal.

mercman from oz 10-25-2018 12:58 AM

https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/attac...p;d=1540446687https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/attac...p;d=1540446687https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/attac...p;d=1540446687
The above photos are of a well used 1933-1934 Australian Ford Open Car Door.
Notice the diagonal brace is straight with no pressings for strength stamped into it, very agricultural on the part of Ford Australia. The USA Braces have a crease stamped into it for added strength. The last photo shows the bottom side of this door, which is different from the USA equivalent. I hope that these photos are educational.

mercman from oz 10-25-2018 01:07 AM

https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/attac...p;d=1540447368
For comparison, here is a picture of an American 1933 Ford Roadster open car door with the lining removed. As you can see, that Diagonal Brace has a crease stamped into it, much more professional than the brace supplied by Ford Australia. Seems the owner of this Roadster has added a safety catch to stop the door from flying open.

DavidG 10-25-2018 06:07 AM

Trevor,

I think that the photo that I posted above is a better example of the North American (both Canada and the U.S., not just the latter) inner door construction. Why not enlarge it?

stangblue 10-25-2018 07:48 AM

Ed you can also lessen the gap by shimming underneath the B pillar casting where it meets the floor.