The Ford Barn

The Ford Barn (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Model A (1928-31) (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Stubborn Swan Cap. (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=324717)

JimG1127 03-22-2023 07:58 PM

Stubborn Swan Cap.

I have a '29 A. The radiator is shot. Its been repaired at least once before. I need to remove it and replace it with a new one. Problem is the Swan cap won't budge. I removed the tiny hex screw in the back that "locks" the cap on. There are three tabs on the top of the open radiator cap base and I'm tapping it with a screwdriver blade and hammer. Not moving. Do people sometimes weld these on? I'm hoping that I don't have to destroy it. I also cannot get the radiator shell off until the cap comes off.
Interesting side note. I ordered the best heavy duty radiator that Synders has. It arrived today. Its from Brassworks. It looks well made. Ive read mixed reviews about them But more positive than negative.

stevests 03-23-2023 09:51 AM

Re: Stubborn Swan Cap.

Try a strap wrench.

Joe K 03-23-2023 09:10 PM

If the radiator is indeed to be trashed, you can bring it to a radiator repair shop and have them melt the solder and the entire neck can then be removed. You may do this yourself with the radiator shroud in place by playing a bernz-o-matic flame on the INSIDE of the neck.

I imagine that the heat may also loosen the corrosion as the copper/brass expands and contracts. PB Blaster may help.

Failing in anything else, with the neck removed, you can probably use pliers and "fold" the neck in on itself which will CERTAINLY break the bond.

The neck can be replaced. Or re-attached as part of a "core replacement" so the radiator can be used on your NEXT Model A. Re-core is about half the cost of a complete new radiator. It can have a challenge in maintaining dimensionality. Or (today's world) finding someone who can do it.

Joe K

JimG1127 03-24-2023 12:54 PM

Thanks.
I'm going to try the strap wrench. If it still doesn't loosen I'll put flame on the inside of the neck and strap wrench it.

JimG1127 03-24-2023 08:21 PM

Thanks for the tips. I can't get to the radiator neck from the outside because of the chrome radiator shell. I cant remove the chrome radiator shell until I get the base of the swan cap off. I doused it good with PB blaster. I'll let it sit overnight. I did pick up a strap wrench but its not holding onto it tight enough. It slips. I wonder if they make a strap wrench that locks on like a vise grip. I have a chain vise grip thats intended for oil filters. It might work but it would chew up the base of the swan cap. I'm thinking maybe time for a torch.

Ray in La Mesa 03-25-2023 12:07 AM

You might try using the chain vice grip with a piece of leather around the cap.

Stingray70 03-25-2023 11:39 AM

Jim, you said you removed THE set screw. On my cap, there are 2 screws that hold 2 locking tabs to the base of the cap. When I got my cat those set screws were hidden under a bunch of gunk. Took me a while to figure it out.

JimG1127 03-26-2023 02:31 PM

Success! I let it sit with PB Blaster for 2 days. But I really couldn't get to the threads because the base of the radiator cap covers them The suggestion to use leather over the base to protect it was good. I used a synthetic chamois cloth and my chain vise grip. Got a really tight grip and a couple of whacks with a mallet it loosened. I see dried pasty substance on the threads. I'll bet it's loctite.
I bought the car from a wealthy person that had a warehouse full of cars. It also spent a chunk of time in the Roaring Twenties antique auto museum in Virginia. No wonder nothing wants to loosen on the car!
Appreciate the tips!

Ray in La Mesa 03-27-2023 08:47 AM

Glad the leather bit worked.