The Ford Barn

The Ford Barn (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Model A (1928-31) (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   30 Model A oil pump installation (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=256976)

pineyjd 01-02-2019 06:17 AM

30 Model A oil pump installation

Need advice on installing oil pump/pan,how is the oil pump held in place while installing oil pan.Had to drop pan on 1930 tudor that I just bought as oil had burnt smell.Engine had clean oil pan with a little sludge<my guess it over heated at one time
I haven't had model a since 1954 so forgotten alot

Jacksonlll 01-02-2019 08:00 AM

Re: 30 Model A oil pump installation

I have a short piece of 1/4 inch rod, bent to go in the side hole and keep pressure on the pump while I put the pan on. Just bend up something to do this. Some people screw a bolt into the pipe thread hole to lock it in. Don't screw up the threads. Good luck.

Benson 01-02-2019 08:25 AM

This thread is a TAPERED pipe thread!

If you screw a bolt into the hole the TAPERED threads will be damaged or maybe the casting will be broken.

Also if correct TAPERED fitting is tightened too much casting can be broken.

30 Closed Cab PU 01-02-2019 08:37 AM

Here is a link to the Snyders version of the tool.

There are other versions by other A parts providers that are just the bolt. without the knob.

https://www.snydersantiqueauto.com/oil-pump-retainer

There is a threaded hole in the side of the block, screw this in and it hold your oil pump up in the block . Do not over tighten so you do not damage the oil pump.

If you do this before taking the pan off, the oil pump stays in the block instead of dropping when removing the oil pan.

You need to use a pipe tapered thread, if you use a common bolt you can strip out the hole.

WHN 01-02-2019 08:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Benson (Post 1711739)
This thread is a TAPERED pipe thread!

If you screw a bolt into the hole the TAPERED threads will be damaged or maybe the casting will be broken.

Also if correct TAPERED fitting is tightened too much casting can be broken.

Please follow these instructions. You can get yourself into trouble very quickly.

The bolt holding pump in place should be there unless you have installed an oil pressure gauge. If gauge has been installed, oil line to gauge is installed into bolt hole that we are talking about.

Patrick L. 01-02-2019 09:45 AM

I've used a dowel and a wedge against the frame.

Brentwood Bob 01-02-2019 12:10 PM

Order the Snyder's install tool. I make my own.
When you install the oil pump make sure it engages the driver.
Then when the pan is held in position with a few pan bolts, pull the install tool and replace the plug so you don't forget.

J Franklin 01-02-2019 12:15 PM

The easiest way I found is to use a small bit of paper for a wedge shim right were the pump enters the block.

rocket1 01-02-2019 04:56 PM

easy to make tool,brass pipe plug drill and tap hole down center insert proper size screw and thread plug into block then snug up center screw.

pineyjd 01-03-2019 06:53 AM

Is there a way of knowing driver is engaged? or do you manually turn engine for spring to push into slot

Brentwood Bob 01-03-2019 11:58 AM

I eyeball the shaft alignment and when the pump slips into the slot I tightened the install tool. Probably easier to get the gasket in place on the pan first.

pineyjd 01-31-2019 07:48 AM

Thanks for info,now starting on interior

Brentwood Bob 01-31-2019 12:03 PM

Did you do the install? Any issues you could pass on?

Purdy Swoft 01-31-2019 12:04 PM

No harm meant , But if the gasket is installed to the oil pan , there will be no way that I can think of for the tabs at the rear of the gaskets to fit between the rear main bearing cap and the rear oil pan seal . The oil pan gasket was originally installed to the block instead of sealing the gasket to the oil pan . If the rear tabs on the oil pan gaskets are cut off in an attempt to just glue the gaskets to the oil pan , it is likely to leak oil .

30 Closed Cab PU 01-31-2019 12:25 PM

There are many methods. Mine is to use my finger to apply a skim coat of anaerobic sealer to both sides if the gasket. Anaerobic sealer does not set up until air is removed (parts squeezed together), so there is plenty of time to position/reposition the gasket as needed on the block, not the pan. Insert guides (below link) into the block next, to guide/hold the pan when tightening the pan bolts. Once you have a few bolts in these unscrew from the block.

https://www.brattons.com/oil-pan-sna...sset-of-4.html

Brianpfreeman 04-16-2023 09:33 PM

Old thread but curious, have to take my oil pan off to fix strip drain hole. My fitting on the side of the block won’t come out. Can I hold the pump in place from the valve cover?

J Franklin 04-16-2023 10:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brianpfreeman (Post 2219408)
Old thread but curious, have to take my oil pan off to fix strip drain hole. My fitting on the side of the block won’t come out. Can I hold the pump in place from the valve cover?

A good time to check the pump while the pan is off. My solution if you can't use other methods or don't want to is in post #8.

Brianpfreeman 04-17-2023 05:25 AM

I’m fine with inspecting it while it off but my understanding is you can’t install the pump as try to put the oil pan Back in with the engine installed. Is that right?

J Franklin 04-17-2023 10:50 AM

I have done it everytime I drop the pan.

Gene F 04-17-2023 01:28 PM

That little tool, how tight? I'd imagine just really enough to contact will do the job....