The Ford Barn

The Ford Barn (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Early V8 (1932-53) (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   tire irons (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=152417)

mark180 10-18-2014 03:10 PM

tire irons

This is a bit of a noob question. Are there types of tire irons that are better than others? I haven't had to change a tube type tire since I was a kid. I don't want to get irons that will mess up my rims.

Ralph Moore 10-18-2014 03:51 PM

Re: tire irons

I use a pair of motorcycle irons, they are smooth and slightly curved, designed to be used with tubes , unlike some car tire irons.

cmbrucew 10-18-2014 04:41 PM

X2 on the bike irons.
Use emory paper to smooth them if the are new.
Bruce

russcc 10-18-2014 06:34 PM

Ken's Tools make the best tire irons. They have a curved dip at the end that makes changing tires simple with irons. Mohawk Rubber Company in Hingham MA is one dealer that I know that carries them, as that's where I got mine.

rotorwrench 10-19-2014 10:35 AM

I took my hand operated held belt sander and put my own curve into some spoons I purchased from a Snap-On dealer, I then polished them up and they work slick.

Pete 10-19-2014 01:07 PM

All this brings to mind a slightly humorous story about a friend that was USAC national midget champion in 1954.
He was racing on a very limited budget as many were in those days. They sometimes raced 4 times a week and on both dirt and pavement. He could only afford one set of wheels so had to change tires each time they went to a different surface track. Believe it or not, several times I saw him change 4 wheels from slicks to dirt tires in 20 minutes with nothing but 2 big screw drivers and a ball peen hammer. Needless to say, the mag wheels didn't look too good after a 50 race season but they got the job done.

38Tudor 10-21-2014 07:00 AM

I think the curved spoon type is best for tube tires.

A bones 10-21-2014 11:58 AM

Harbor Freight for the money. Enjoy yer day, Tom

A bones 10-21-2014 03:11 PM

Worth mentioning, do not lube with soap. It helps create rim rust at the bead. Last time I did a set (on the ground) I tried WD40. It went well. Some like talc for slipperiness, another suggestion seen here on this forum, I forget who, is to use plastic trash bag. Sounds slick, Just pull it out when done.

Bruce Lancaster 10-21-2014 03:22 PM

Gemplers has a really good range of tire tools, all sorts of irons, a neat bead breaker, and consideration of tubes because their customers are dealing with all sorts of agricultural and trailer tires, not just late model cars: http://www.gemplers.com/tires-supplies

corvette8n 10-21-2014 04:01 PM

I bought a 30" spoon type from Tractor supply, I use them to mount the 11.2x28 tires on my tractor, also have done several car tires with them.

cmbrucew 10-21-2014 08:06 PM

If you are looking for full sized tire irons Firestone made some good ones.
Most tire men have their own favorites. Hammers as well for breaking beads.
Bruce

38Tudor 10-21-2014 09:56 PM

I am a professional tire guy and I use soap. The whole tire industry uses some form of soap. Good luck. Work a curved spoon bar carefully and you won't mess up your rim.

A bones 10-22-2014 03:06 AM

HI 38Tudor. Me too lots of tires. Worn out a couple of Coates machines. Started with a Bishman. When that broke had to use the floor with a hand breaker, then irons 'til we could buy a new one(new tires cost $12). I have a jug of Ru-glyde in the garage now. I just get tired of seeing steel rims that won't hold air because of rust pits. Tired of grinding, sanding, chopping rust. Then gluing the beads, to get a seal.

Walt Dupont--Me. 10-22-2014 06:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pete (Post 965160)
All this brings to mind a slightly humorous story about a friend that was USAC national midget champion in 1954.
He was racing on a very limited budget as many were in those days. They sometimes raced 4 times a week and on both dirt and pavement. He could only afford one set of wheels so had to change tires each time they went to a different surface track. Believe it or not, several times I saw him change 4 wheels from slicks to dirt tires in 20 minutes with nothing but 2 big screw drivers and a ball peen hammer. Needless to say, the mag wheels didn't look too good after a 50 race season but they got the job done.

That reminds me when me and my friend both in our teens, his father had a 40 Ford pickup, he was changing a rear tire, he left a tire iron inside the rim, when't down rod a little ways, BANG, the tire iron poked a hole right through the rear fender. Walt

Bruce Lancaster 10-22-2014 09:07 AM

An ancient issue of Life Magazine I looked at, I think a wartime issue, had a big picture of items that had been found in flat tires...I could identify a number of Ford parts in the spread!

A bones 10-22-2014 11:51 AM

My personal favorite was a nine inch sawzall blade. But back in the day, those left over tires from the second war would give it up to sharp stones and tree twig fork joints.

Ralph Moore 10-22-2014 12:15 PM

When I was in the army, we would get quite a few rifle cartridges shoved in tires, mostly when out on maneuvers.