The Ford Barn

The Ford Barn (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Early V8 (1932-53) (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   What I Did on My Lunch Hour (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=58219)

Hamtown Al 08-27-2012 08:24 PM

Re: What I Did on My Lunch Hour

Dang, Vic. I didn't realize you had "air" in your conv sedan!
Looks pretty snazzy, too!
Keep working... and eating?!?!
Al

Vic Piano 08-28-2012 05:55 AM

Thanks Al, ya gotta’ have AC down here in Florida...LOL

Vic Piano 08-28-2012 10:09 AM

Everything is back together and functioning properly...:D I used some "Painters Tape" to hold the horn button/light switch in the correct position (at the steering wheel) so I could install the spring and align the spider to fit into the slots in the switch, and then I put the retainer clip on, slid the switch housing on the column and secured it with the bail. I checked the horn, parking & driving lights and everything worked... :eek::D I love it when a plan comes together…:cool:
http://i115.photobucket.com/albums/n...012/002-45.jpg

Steves46 08-28-2012 10:25 AM

That's excellent Vic. Did the bushing help improve the steering? Steve

Vic Piano 08-28-2012 10:28 AM

Thanks Steve, I haven't taken the car for a ride just yet. I think I'll jack up the front axle and try adjusting the steering box (if there's any adjustment left in it:eek:) first.

Hamtown Al 08-28-2012 12:32 PM

I'm glad to see your plan came together.

I've always claimed, "I'd rather be lucky than good!" I'm sure it was pure skill in your case!

All the best,

Al

Mart 08-28-2012 02:13 PM

Cool, Vic.

Is there a bolt missing from your header??

Mart.

Vic Piano 08-28-2012 02:21 PM

Al, normally my function is one of a purely aesthetic nature ;) LOL however; in this case I did get lucky every step of the way. Now to attempt to adjust the steering box... :eek: Hopefully my luck will hold.

Vic Piano 08-28-2012 02:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mart (Post 488073)
Cool, Vic.

Is there a bolt missing from your header??

Mart.

Good eyes there Mart, there is a bolt missing (actually its not missing, I didn't put it in) the flange on the header did not line up perfectly, and at the time of install I didn't have a round file available so, I left the bolt out, to install at another time, and like so many other things, I forgot about it. Guess I'll have mess with that as well... More fun.;)

Hamtown Al 08-28-2012 09:37 PM

Vic, look at the missing bolt issue as an "opportunity" for more fellowship and pizza!!
Keep working,
Al

Vic Piano 08-29-2012 07:22 AM

Absolutely Al, every issue with a Flathead affords us the opportunity for "fellowship and pizza"... that's a given... :D

Now I'm about to venture into unfamiliar territory (for me):eek: with the steering box on the '39 CS. There is, what some people would refer to as "excessive play" in the steering wheel (I've been driving this car for 22 years and the "play" has gotten progressively worse but I guess I've just compensated for it in my driving style...) My question is; how do I adjust for "play", is it a combination of both worm shaft & roller or do I adjust one of them first, and, if so, which one gets the first adjustment? I’m gettin’ hungry already... too early for pizza though...

Vic Piano 08-29-2012 07:38 AM

My son is a Creative Director at an ad agency and he has been helping me design a "logo" for our informal car club. I plan on putting the logo on the side of our '53 F-100 Panel Truck, after it is repainted. I think the "logo" is shaping up nicely... Here's the latest rendition.:cool:
http://i115.photobucket.com/albums/n...02012/LOGO.jpg

Steves46 08-29-2012 07:56 AM

That looks outstanding Vic and would also make an awesome club plaque to hang off the rear bumper.

Vic Piano 08-29-2012 08:00 AM

Thanks Steve, I like the idea of a plaque.:cool:

Hamtown Al 08-29-2012 10:53 AM

Looks like your son is a chip off the old flat block!!

Logo looks great!

All the best,
Al

Vic Piano 08-29-2012 11:15 AM

Thanks Al, I tried to convince him to get into a different business but...

Mart 08-29-2012 02:57 PM

Re the steering, check for end play on the worm bearings first. Look very carefully at the gap between the back of the wheel and the column shroud. turn the wheel from side to side and look to see if the gap increases and decreases as you turn it back and forth. If it does you need to remove shims to reduce the play to zero, but not so much to make it tight.

Then look at the mesh between the roller and the worm. loosen the locknut and with the steering disconnected ideally turn the steering back and forth past the central position feeling for tightness in the middle. carefully turn the screw in until the tightness begins to be felt, and back it off just enough to stop the tightness.

Lock it up and all should be good.

There may be other ways to do the job but this is the way I have tended to do it.

Mart.

TomT/Williamsburg 08-29-2012 03:12 PM

My comments on the logo ....

Just a thought here - if you could somehow get the car in the correct position and the logo situated right, have the dots for the "i"s in Cigar and City to be the smoking tips of the cigars .....

Bumper plaques - yeah, what a great idea! Maybe put some flame throwers onto the tips of the cigars. As the plaque drags along the ground - whoooosh! What a tail dragger that would be!! LOL!!

Seriously, I really do like the logo - it has an old-time look and sound to it. If you get guys from all over the US involved you could call it the Cigar City Flatheads of America, the antithesis of the Early Ford V8 Club! Let them put that in their cigar and smoke it!

Vic Piano 08-29-2012 03:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mart (Post 488844)
Re the steering, check for end play on the worm bearings first. Look very carefully at the gap between the back of the wheel and the column shroud. turn the wheel from side to side and look to see if the gap increases and decreases as you turn it back and forth. If it does you need to remove shims to reduce the play to zero, but not so much to make it tight.

Then look at the mesh between the roller and the worm. loosen the locknut and with the steering disconnected ideally turn the steering back and forth past the central position feeling for tightness in the middle. carefully turn the screw in until the tightness begins to be felt, and back it off just enough to stop the tightness.

Lock it up and all should be good.

There may be other ways to do the job but this is the way I have tended to do it.

Mart.

Mart, thanks. I appreciate that and I'll give it a try. vic

Vic Piano 08-29-2012 03:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TomT/Williamsburg (Post 488856)
My comments on the logo ....

Just a thought here - if you could somehow get the car in the correct position and the logo situated right, have the dots for the "i"s in Cigar and City to be the smoking tips of the cigars .....

Bumper plaques - yeah, what a great idea! Maybe put some flame throwers onto the tips of the cigars. As the plaque drags along the ground - whoooosh! What a tail dragger that would be!! LOL!!

Seriously, I really do like the logo - it has an old-time look and sound to it. If you get guys from all over the US involved you could call it the Cigar City Flatheads of America, the antithesis of the Early Ford V8 Club! Let them put that in their cigar and smoke it!

Tom, I know about those other obligations that get in the way and that we all have... and did you mention car projects...:eek: I've got a few too many of those as well...;) I think that, through the FordBarn (old and new) and now the non-Chevy forum, we've all added a new dimension to the hobby (with the advent of the "Barner's Bash" events and the number of Tours that are taking place), that goes beyond membership and participation in the EFV8 Club. Ours is a much more loosely knit group and I think we place the emphasis on just havin' fun with our Flatheads and friends.:cool: