The Ford Barn

The Ford Barn (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Early V8 (1932-53) (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   I just got scammed! Be careful! (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=274742)

javiern54 01-01-2020 12:20 AM

I just got scammed! Be careful!

This guy from reno just got me for $1050! Oh man he knew his shit too, the sad part is I think he is/was a car guy or atleast has done his homework because the detail of his knowledge of these parts I'm thinking theres no way a tweeker would know this stuff! I just found too late the add of other people that got scammed by the same dude with the same story of the deaf wife, cleaning out dads estate, gotta get on a plane later today... holy smokes i cant believe this just happened. dont fall for it. karmas comin for you buddy

Brian 01-01-2020 01:29 AM

Re: I just got scammed! Be careful!

Sorry to hear that...great start to the new year huh?

Frank Miller 01-01-2020 08:43 AM

I think I've heard about this guy. He vanishes when you say you have a friend close by who can pick up the part and pay cash.

Blastfromthepast 01-01-2020 10:43 AM

Only use PayPal for transactions. If they don’t have account don’t send the money.
I have a bridge for sale. It’s 2020 get with the times. It’s sad but true, those days of sending money and waiting for the part are over.

32phil 01-01-2020 10:59 AM

javiern54
Share as much of the story as you safely can.
These creeps use the same line of crap over and over ( because it works ! )
That will help the rest of us to avoid getting ripped off or even help identify him.
Before I send money for anything I always try to speak live to the person.
I'll know in about 5 minutes if they are a car guy or if they are scamming.
The scammers:
don't have time to talk,
know nothing about the part,
they can't describe it,
are too far away to look at details for you.
It goes on and on...…….. eventually you realize they are trying to rip you off.

Anteek29 01-01-2020 11:14 AM

Really sorry that happened to you...Thieves need to have their balls cut off!

FrankWest 01-01-2020 11:20 AM

Credit card not debit card or paypal with card. Then if you don;t get your stuff you can put in a claim. Never send MO or check..No way to recover. Bank to bank transfer insured? Not sure.
I was searching the internet for the best price on a printer and several other cheap items all under 50 dollars.
Found great deals, paid with credit card. Never received the item from 3 different sources.
The world has gotten so bad. People just offer you a low price and then actually have no product and take your money. Now I make sure, I know the store is reputable. It is wild.
These is a line of great looking women\s clothing my wife was looking at. Beautiful item, picture right out of saks 5th avenue. I check around before I let her order. The seller is from China, and sends you clothing that looks like a check Halloween custom from Woolworth.
The world has become a scammers paradise.

FrankWest 01-01-2020 11:47 AM

Just reminded me of a story my Father told me from the 30.s
A poor laborer would walk past a clothing store in Lower Manhattan, and admire these thick wool pants that were for sale. He saved his money after several weeks of pay and when into the store to purchase the pants. The store owner took the money went in the back to get the pants and he booked them up. The customer left happy. When the customer got home and unwrapped the pants, he saw that the store own had replaced the thick wool pants he paid for with thin material cheap pants. The customer when pack to the store the next day and demanded that he get the heavy pants he paid for. The owner refused. So the customer when back to the store with a brick and threw it through the store's large front window.

19Fordy 01-01-2020 11:56 AM

In today's world the brick thrower would be found guilty and the store owner would skate free. The world is up-side-down.

Graeme / New Zealand 01-01-2020 12:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 19Fordy (Post 1836851)
In today's world the brick thrower would be found guilty and the store owner would skate free. The world is up-side-down.

You would have to prove the brick thrower did it first......oh right CCTV footage?..gotcha.

GB

FrankWest 01-01-2020 01:52 PM

The brick thrower probably just never walked past the store again. Cash business, no names, addresses. I wonder what the cop on the beat would have thought, I doubt they would have taken the trouble to look for him.

done4 01-01-2020 01:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Anteek29 (Post 1836825)
Really sorry that happened to you...Thieves need to have their balls cut off!

I prefer his head.

V8COOPMAN 01-01-2020 02:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by done4 (Post 1836909)
I prefer his head.

I like the bollocks first so the jerk is in excruciating pain for a while, which should give him a little more time to ponder his forthcoming beheading. DD

FrankWest 01-01-2020 03:17 PM

The customer is always right

J Franklin 01-01-2020 05:33 PM

Where was the money sent? What was his phone number? What was his address? Were photos verifiably dated sent? If you can't verify never send remittance.

Vics Stuff 01-02-2020 02:37 AM

I had spoken to that guy. He is surfing the Ford Barn and Hamb classifieds. I heard the same story about his father in law and deaf wife. I told him I have a friend that lives 15 minutes away and he will bring cash. At that time the guy indicated that he has another call coming in and had to go.
Never herd from him again.

chap52 01-02-2020 07:48 AM

Same sort of story from a guy in the Seattle area that was willing to drop the price on his pristine 29 fordor by $4000. He even called me with his acceptance speech. I probably would have bit it I hadn't already bought a car.
His story was that it was a divorce sale and that his ex was going to get most of the cash anyway. The catch was that his friend would be handling the transaction because he had to leave town for a few days.
Sounded like a really nice guy on the phone, surely this was all legit...
My guardian angel must be worn out by now keeping me out of holes I was about to jump in to... Chap

skidmarks 01-02-2020 09:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FrankWest (Post 1836939)
The customer is always right

Sounds good, but i cut a customer a break on shipping and he shorted me $5. So on top of free shipping i took a $20 discount out of my parts.... and it also happened on the fordbarn.
I also got burned on a shipping claim and the customer returned me a empty box , he kept all the parts and got all his money back . So theives can also work the system with credit cards and paypal on their side.

Cash face to face is really the best way

Karma will get them

ct1932ford 01-02-2020 10:10 AM

I got one last week replying to my wanted add. When I asked for his phone number etc. I never heard from him again. This was his email: tomshotmail [[email protected]]

FrankWest 01-02-2020 10:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by javiern54 (Post 1836740)
This guy from reno just got me for $1050! Oh man he knew his shit too, the sad part is I think he is/was a car guy or atleast has done his homework because the detail of his knowledge of these parts I'm thinking theres no way a tweeker would know this stuff! I just found too late the add of other people that got scammed by the same dude with the same story of the deaf wife, cleaning out dads estate, gotta get on a plane later today... holy smokes i cant believe this just happened. dont fall for it. karmas comin for you buddy

AS serving as the minister of a church a scam artest over the phone told me that my church won a large screen tv. To get the tv I just had to send 500 dollars to receive the tv which he said was worth 2000 dollars!
People have no shame.