The Ford Barn

The Ford Barn (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Model A (1928-31) (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   New Guy in Ohio (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=226648)

dmdeaton 08-12-2017 06:10 PM

New Guy in Ohio

Hi all. For some reason I just got the Model A bug, don't know how. Wife is on board with this so here it goes. Looking to get into something I wont have to do a ground up restore. Not looking for show quality and I can work on about anything. She wants a convertible though. Just starting to learn all I can and spend some time looking for something. Going to join the local clubs also.

Gary WA 08-12-2017 06:48 PM

Re: New Guy in Ohio

Welcome to the Hobby! look at www.mafca.com classified section many model A's for sale or join your local Model A Club.

Sunnybrook Farm 08-12-2017 06:55 PM

There are a lot of Model As on craigslist, just put Model A in the search and then move around near by towns. Here is one I found in Ohio.
https://akroncanton.craigslist.org/c...233696560.html

1930artdeco 08-12-2017 08:24 PM

Welcome to the club. Remember that converts les 'usually' don't have Windows. They came with side curtains, which will protect you, but if you get caught in a flash rain.....Well that is why they came with leather. A cabriolet or 400A, both are big bucks though came with Windows.

Mike

jm29henry 08-13-2017 06:59 AM

The Craiglist car looks pretty good from the picks for the money even looks like side curtain are in the back seat . Try and take someone who knows model,A to go with you to look.at it if it appeal to you best of luck to you on your search enjoy the process and when you find the right car you will just know

JDupuis 08-13-2017 07:05 AM

Welcome to the barn.
That car on craigslist is an early 28. Left hand parking brake.
The phaeton model is an excellent choice for ice cream runs. In case friends want to join in on the fun, those rear doors are nicer then the rumble seat. Jeff

Bill's Auto Works 08-13-2017 07:32 AM

Welcome from Northern Ohio!
This is a great place to learn & there are many great guys here that are willing to answer all the question you may have.

Bill Squires(owner)
Bill's Auto Works

leadpot 08-13-2017 08:02 AM

I joined my local club, MARC & MAFCA before buying an "A" to learn & get advice. After looking at a few A's found one I thought was a good candidate. The local clubs expert volunteered to go with me to check out the car. Best thing I did, have had car for 7 years & over 4k miles now with no problems other than normal maintenance. Don't get in a hurry, there are lot of good cars available.

BILL WILLIAMSON 08-13-2017 10:01 AM

Look for a car with GOOD shocks & brakes, each one represents an EASY THOUSAND BUCKS!!!
Bill Cheep

1928Mik 08-13-2017 12:47 PM

I'm in Zanesville , so if you need any help let me know. Since inheriting mine from my Dad, I have met several people in my area who have A's that I did not know before. Spend some time gathering info and it will help you to purchase the right car.

burner31 08-13-2017 01:26 PM

2 Attachment(s)
The Wife and I really enjoy ours, hope you both do the same.

dmdeaton 08-13-2017 10:01 PM

thanks guys. I have joined the big club, and going to attend 2 local clubs with plans to join. I am in Hamilton OH and we have a pretty good parade every year. I am going to take my time, famous last words.

dmdeaton 08-13-2017 10:05 PM

What is the standard length and width on these? I have a ranch house with a standard deep 2 car attached garage. Wife keeps her Outback and my Mini Cooper inside. Guess my Mini will have to live outside.

RawhideKid 08-13-2017 10:29 PM

*shivers* Whew, an open bumper '28. I would take a serious look at that car and see just what the engine/frame number are to verify that needing to be an open ended bumper car.

It does look very nice from the pics, and the price is just about right for a very early Phaeton.

According to the Judging Standards, that would have to be one of the first 200 built as those were the only ones with open ended bumpers.

Mike V. Florida 08-13-2017 11:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dmdeaton (Post 1512466)
Hi all. For some reason I just got the Model A bug, don't know how. Wife is on board with this so here it goes. Looking to get into something I wont have to do a ground up restore. Not looking for show quality and I can work on about anything. She wants a convertible though. Just starting to learn all I can and spend some time looking for something. Going to join the local clubs also.

Sounds like the route I went. I went to the mafca web site and looked up the vendors and asked each to send me their catalogs. (see below)

I went to the events/meetings the club had and looked at all the different cars. I checked the forums here and elsewhere and copied the information on areas I was lacking it. I went to "Garage tours" where members of the club were helping others work on their cars. I even had the chance to drive the A. When a car presented itself I bought it and never looked back.

mike657894 08-13-2017 11:20 PM

I look on the michigan craigslists pretty often. The prices seem to be about the lowest in michigan. I have seen really nice driver type convertibles for about 10k here. ill do a scan and see if any thing pops up.

marty in Ohio 08-14-2017 07:39 AM

dmdeaton,
Welcome to the barn. Lots of good answers to good questions here. To answer your last question, my '30 town sedan is 12' 9" (153 inches) long bumper to bumper and about 66 inches wide. All A's should be about the same size. It should easily fit in your garage. Your modern car will be fine outside, in fact the wife's car would rather be out in the weather (at least that's what I tell the wife).
Good luck with your search, it's out there, you just have to find it.
Marty

jwilliams81 08-14-2017 01:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dmdeaton (Post 1512466)

dmdeaton,

I'm the membership director for the Cincinnati chapter: Ohio Valley Region Model A Club.
We would love and encourage you to check out our meetings. You can talk with all the owners and get a feeling for what you are looking for.

I'm in Kenwood Ohio, if not to far I can bring my A over and park it in your garage for you to see the size. But as others have said, there will be no issue other than having to park your modern car outside.

It seems like there is always cars around our club from members or friends of members that are for sale.

Our website:
http://clubs.hemmings.com/ovr/

Our Facebook page:
https://www.facebook.com/groups/OVRMAC/

Let me know how else we can help.

CarlG 08-14-2017 01:19 PM

In addition to Craig's List, eBay is another source. (That's where I got mine).

As to parking a Model A in a typical garage, that's where I keep mine. Model A in one bay, my workshop in the other. Modern cars live outside. I still have to move the Model A outside if I want to work on other things in the garage, but the Model A gets moved inside at night.

dmdeaton 08-18-2017 09:22 AM

I stopped last night on the way back from working out of town to look at a 30 Tudor. It had a older paint job with scratches. Couldn't tell what was under the paint. Didn't look like primer, maybe original color. Not original front seats, 6v alternator, leaking oil under rear axle. Interior I almost wouldn't sit in. Garbage in back seat, but it ran. Doors didn't fit flush, actually overlapping the body. Almost scared me out of the rest of my search. He wants 10K. I said no and left.