The Ford Barn

The Ford Barn (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Early V8 (1932-53) (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Is There Any Epoxy That Will Stick To Brass??? (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=268447)

Chuck Kuntz 08-26-2019 05:54 AM

Is There Any Epoxy That Will Stick To Brass???

I need to repair a small dent in a radiator top tank neck where the cap seats. It is leaking there and I added a recovery tank that will not return the excess coolant due to this dent. Will JB Weld or some other product stick to the brass so I can flat file the repair? This is a 1935 pickup so the cap does not have the typical gasket.

skidmarks 08-26-2019 05:56 AM

Re: Is There Any Epoxy That Will Stick To Brass???

Solder and file it off

Chuck Kuntz 08-26-2019 06:49 AM

I can't do that with the radiator installed in the pickup. I was hoping for an easier solution.

flatford8 08-26-2019 06:59 AM

Do you have a junk radiator or something else that’s made of brass that you can try it on? I can’t imagine J-B Weld not sticking to brass......Mark

flatheadmurre 08-26-2019 07:06 AM

Any metal that oxidize is sensitive to time between tht you clean the surface with an abrasive and aplying the glue...
The faster you are the better chance to make it stick.

Kurt in NJ 08-26-2019 07:16 AM

I have a " marine Tex" epoxied repair on radiator tubes that has held for 30+ years, it cures slow, and is machinable

big job 08-26-2019 08:06 AM

Three yrs ago nice hot day for a beer run in my 1923 Ford, almost there, on these
the drain tube is on the bottom of the tank. Well this tube came undone from the
bottom of the radiator and the fan grabbed it and yanked it out. Now stuck. so I called
the wife for water. I carry wooden matches to light my cowl lights. I broke some matches up and shoved them in the tube holes. By then she showed up filled up with water and
like a wooden boat they swelled up. Made my trip. made short took radiator out tried to
soldering, no luck no room so hardward store 5 min. epoxie. 3 yrs no leaks......

RKS.PA 08-26-2019 08:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by big job (Post 1792056)
Three yrs ago nice hot day for a beer run in my 1923 Ford, almost there, on these
the drain tube is on the bottom of the tank. Well this tube came undone from the
bottom of the radiator and the fan grabbed it and yanked it out. Now stuck. so I called
the wife for water. I carry wooden matches to light my cowl lights. I broke some matches up and shoved them in the tube holes. By then she showed up filled up with water and
like a wooden boat they swelled up. Made my trip. made short took radiator out tried to
soldering, no luck no room so hardward store 5 min. epoxie. 3 yrs no leaks......

Big Job, your "secret weapon" like mine is "called wife for......what's needed now!":D

Tim Ayers 08-26-2019 10:05 AM

I've just used a two part epoxy product called 1212 made by Belzona. It's not cheap, $150 for 450g, but used it to repair a rot hole in a water jacket on a machined block.

So far so good. The reason we chose it was it able to be used on surfaces that are contaminated.

RalphG 08-26-2019 10:13 AM

I patched a dent/crack in the top tank of my International truck last year with JBweld. It stuck fine but not sure if I got perfect coverage as I still slight dampness around the patch.

A bones 08-26-2019 10:59 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Check this Hudson from H.A.M.B.

Hold on, trying to attach picture of top tank repair with JB weld. Until I get it right, should also mention, JB makes a product in a stick, called Wet Weld.Attachment 405108

tiger.1000 08-26-2019 01:56 PM

3 Attachment(s)
I soldered this brass union in to the top tank of my radiator whilst in situ?

Can you load a photo of your proposed repair ?

Lawson Cox 08-26-2019 10:51 PM

How are things in situ nowadays ?

RalphM 08-27-2019 12:58 AM

I had a 59 block that I pressure tested,
It was leaking from the pan rail in the left rear, I picked at it and it was a sure enough rust hole about 1/2” diameter. I drilled it out to 3/8 pipe size, tapped it and JB welded a brass plug in it.
Filed it flat for the pan gasket and it’s still going strong today, no leaks.

petehoovie 08-27-2019 02:25 AM

I don't understand. If you think you can use a filler of some kind to fill the dent and then flat file the repair with the radiator installed in the pickup, why can't you do the same with solder? As 'skidmarks' implied above, solder would be the best repair. I think solder would be easier to file as well. Show us some pictures....

tiger.1000 08-27-2019 04:24 AM

Pete....Chuck is reluctant to solder in situ for fear of causing a fire or scorching adjoining areas...pic please Chuck !

Chuck Kuntz 08-27-2019 05:52 AM

I have now made the repair with JB Weld and will try to file it this afternoon. I never did figure out how to post photos on the site. The radiator shell is almost touching the neck so I can not use heat there.
Chuck

JSeery 08-27-2019 08:25 AM

If you want any photos posted you can email them to me to post.

petehoovie 08-27-2019 01:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tiger.1000 (Post 1792411)
Pete....Chuck is reluctant to solder in situ for fear of causing a fire or scorching adjoining areas...pic please Chuck !

It was my thought that he would use a heavy duty soldering iron as opposed to a torch....

john stimac 08-28-2019 03:29 PM

Loctite EA-120HP HYSOL part no. 29353