The Ford Barn

The Ford Barn (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Model A (1928-31) (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Model A's & Airplanes (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=289620)

rfitzpatrick 11-03-2020 10:06 AM

Model A's & Airplanes

So many Model A's and so many Airplanes on FordBarn. As a retired airline mechanic with a '31 PicUp -- I love this web site! I've read some excellent advise found here.
Stay Safe

Thanks Everyone

Werner 11-03-2020 11:12 AM

Re: Model A's & Airplanes

3 Attachment(s)
Fitzpatrick - have some looks.

katy 11-03-2020 11:27 AM

I suspect that's a Junkers 52-3M?

Mister Moose 11-03-2020 02:41 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Curtiss Jenny at Rhinebeck NY.

Werner 11-03-2020 02:52 PM

Yes Katy,

that's a Hugo Junkers "Tante Ju" 52. It is placed in Moenchengladbach and should be able - perhaps - to fly again in 2022.

Next picture is a Fokke Wulff "Stieglitz" (Goldfinch). Stationed in Aachen Merzbrück. The motorcycle is a BMW 350 cm³ for message riders.
All W. W. II.

Last picture shows a Dassault Mirage 2000. Parked in Spa de la Sauveniere in Belgium.

frank55a 11-03-2020 03:37 PM

4 Attachment(s)
Some of my pictures with planes.

Patrick L. 11-03-2020 04:10 PM

I had [ should still have but can't find] a couple of pics of the roadster and a friends '30 PU with a J-3 and a J-2. I'll post em if I find em.

SteveR. 11-03-2020 10:29 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I traded an airplane for my '30 Tudor. The plane was a "Pietenpol Air Camper", designed by a farmer in Minnesota in the 20s, and originally outfitted with a Ford Model A engine. Many people still build/fly them that way today.

Patrick L. 11-04-2020 08:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SteveR. (Post 1948529)
I traded an airplane for my '30 Tudor. The plane was a "Pietenpol Air Camper", designed by a farmer in Minnesota in the 20s, and originally outfitted with a Ford Model A engine. Many people still build/fly them that way today.

There recently was quite a discussion on them. That pic shows one of those super special Ford A engines. smiley face

Terry, NJ 11-04-2020 10:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Patrick L. (Post 1948400)
I had [ should still have but can't find] a couple of pics of the roadster and a friends '30 PU with a J-3 and a J-2. I'll post em if I find em.

A real J-2? In Gene Smith's book "What They were Like to Fly" he said. there were less than a dozen on the registry. I had one of them parked next to me at the now defunct "Twin Pines" airport in Ewing , NJ. In talking with the owner, I found out that in Colorado and some other states with a lot of altitude, after 9 am it was almost impossible to get out of "ground effect" I believe it had a 36 HP engine. That should tell you something!
Terry

Mister Moose 11-04-2020 01:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Terry, NJ (Post 1948625)
... I found out that in Colorado and some other states with a lot of altitude, after 9 am it was almost impossible to get out of "ground effect" I believe it had a 36 HP engine. That should tell you something!
Terry

Sounds like a useless place to have that airplane.

I took off out of Denver in a 152 once at near gross weight in February. (ferry flight) I probably used 4,000 feet of runway and was at Vy doing maybe 150fpm climbing out. There's no substitute for excess hp at high altitude. Or a turbocharger. On that same trip I did have it up briefly to 12,000 to clear Wolf Creek Pass, so you can get up there if you have the time to climb.

Terry, NJ 11-04-2020 03:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mister Moose (Post 1948658)
Sounds like a useless place to have that airplane.

I took off out of Denver in a 152 once at near gross weight in February. (ferry flight) I probably used 4,000 feet of runway and was at Vy doing maybe 150fpm climbing out. There's no substitute for excess hp at high altitude. Or a turbocharger. On that same trip I did have it up briefly to 12,000 to clear Wolf Creek Pass, so you can get up there if you have the time to climb.

As I recall the conversation, It was in spring and the weather was much warmer. Taking off earlier when the air was cooler and denser was the only solution. I remember something else odd about the the plane, It was built by Piper, but the gauges were all marked Taylor. Taylor had been flooded or something and had sold everything to Piper. As I recall, the J 2 was originally a Taylor, not Piper.
Terry

Patrick L. 11-04-2020 04:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Terry, NJ (Post 1948625)
A real J-2? In Gene Smith's book "What They were Like to Fly" he said. there were less than a dozen on the registry. I had one of them parked next to me at the now defunct "Twin Pines" airport in Ewing , NJ. In talking with the owner, I found out that in Colorado and some other states with a lot of altitude, after 9 am it was almost impossible to get out of "ground effect" I believe it had a 36 HP engine. That should tell you something!
Terry

It was a real 1937 Taylor J2 with a Cont 37 HP engine. I seem to remember it should have the 40 HP. It was a real handful. I strapped my fanny in it once, that was enough. I don't remember the temp or DA, it was a nice day. We used all the grass runway and then some. The terrain rose with freshly planted corn and we relaunched on the crest of that field. It was struggle just to get to pattern altitude [ 800ft] after flying around for a half hour or so. I enjoyed the heck out of the ride but once was enough. I like the little continental engines, but not the single ignition ones. That ole girl doesn't get much exercise.
I learned in a J3 many decades ago and still love being in them.
I guess risky flying has never bothered me. I've flown thru hedgerows a number of times and made a half dozen 00 landings and have had 2 dozen gear failures, fires, engine failures, vacuum gauge failures, students freezing in stalls and spins, etc . But, once in the J2 was enough.

Mister Moose 11-04-2020 04:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Terry, NJ (Post 1948676)
As I recall the conversation, It was in spring and the weather was much warmer. Taking off earlier when the air was cooler and denser was the only solution. I remember something else odd about the the plane, It was built by Piper, but the gauges were all marked Taylor. Taylor had been flooded or something and had sold everything to Piper. As I recall, the J 2 was originally a Taylor, not Piper.
Terry

I hadn't known that, it's all on Wikipedia. Taylor went bankrupt and sold all assets to Piper. The flood you're thinking of was likely the Lock Haven flood that ended production there. Piper had already moved most lines to Vero Beach, and several models such as the Comanche and Twin Comanche were suspended from the flood damage, never to be built again.

Interesting that the Apache was the next aircraft after the cub family, and I have probably 200 hours in a 180 Apache. Steel tubing running up through the glareshield probably came from Cub tubular design. Never made that connection before. Also didn't know that Piper made a light twin before ever making a retractable single.

AL in NY 11-04-2020 07:12 PM

1 Attachment(s)
This picture was taken on 8/11/2016 at the Dutchess County Airport in New York. This is the Collins Foundation B17 "909" which crashed at the Bradley International Airport on October 2, 2019. Good thing i took the flight three years earlier.

Dennisfly 11-04-2020 09:03 PM

2 Attachment(s)
The Old Dominion Ford Model A Club at Hanover County Airport, Ashland, VA this September with The Commemorative Air Force B-17, Sentimental Journey.

Pat/Ohio 11-05-2020 08:52 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Not a Model A...but these pictures were taken at Grimes Field in Urbana, OH. Our Ford club met there for a "Fly In" of vintage planes. This plane is a B-25 I believe.

Pat

Patrick L. 11-05-2020 03:25 PM

Ooopps, I know I have pics of the A with the Fuddy Duddy [ B17] when we [ National Warplane Museum] owned it. Along with a pic of the B24 Witch Craft.

I have right seat time in the B17. My father flew B24s out of England and I got to ride in the nose.

Those 2 airplanes are direct opposites. The 17 is a gentleman while the 24 is crude, rude, loud, vibrates, which means I love it.

The craft in the pic above is a 25.

Mister Moose 11-05-2020 03:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Patrick L. (Post 1948957)
Those 2 airplanes are direct opposites. The 17 is a gentleman while the 24 is crude, rude, loud, vibrates, which means I love it.

My Dad flew B24s as well. His comment was they were the only airplane he flew that gave you calluses. As an Air Force flight instructor, he flew a lot of different airplanes.

frank55a 11-05-2020 06:14 PM

15 Attachment(s)
While not Model A some might find these pictures interesting. They are what they appear to be, they are not photo shopped. I took them in 1969 during the filming of Tora Tora Tora.