The Ford Barn

The Ford Barn (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Late V8 (1954+) (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Y block fuel filter (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=251102)

fordor41 09-09-2018 09:43 PM

Y block fuel filter

Looking for a replacement fuel filter element for my '60 ford Y block 292. My research calls for a motorcraft FG-32 which evidently is obsolete. What is everyone using for a filter element and where can I get one?

KULTULZ 09-10-2018 04:51 AM

Re: Y block fuel filter

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by fordor41 (Post 1673146)

Looking for a replacement fuel filter element for my '60 ford Y block 292. My research calls for a motorcraft FG-32 which evidently is obsolete. What is everyone using for a filter element and where can I get one?

PASS CAR or TRUCK? Inline or fuel pump canister?

Here is a C0AE 9155-A (FG-6) inline with fittings. Close?

vickidcasey 09-10-2018 05:39 AM

I think, he said about PASS CAR

raceron1120 09-10-2018 06:50 AM

Looks like Motorcraft #FG32 crosses to Donaldson # P552470.

Check out this link,, near the bottom it shows cross reference: https://www.dieselequipmentinc.com/products/p552470

dmsfrr 09-10-2018 11:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fordor41 (Post 1673146)

It depends on what filter you have now.
Maybe you can attach a photo...
Depending on what model vehicle it is different filters could have been used when new. And unless the vehicle has been kept original for 58 years it could easily have something else for a fuel filter.

paul2748 09-10-2018 07:34 PM

Attaching a photo of what you have now would help.

Herman Munster 09-10-2018 08:06 PM

A 56 is probably different but I have the glass bowl that is on the bottom of the fuel pump and the filter element is in the bowl.

fordor41 09-10-2018 09:39 PM

'60 pass. car. Fuel pump has a canister filter housing screwed on the bottom with , I assume a filter element inside. maybe it is a canister filter. just noticed it yesterday and was hesitant to remove it without knowing if a replacement is available. I have a large in-line filter installed before the carb so I suppose I could leave the pump filter off, if it was just a filter element inside the canister, if it was no good.

Alaska Jim 09-10-2018 11:56 PM

There is a filter element in the screw on cannister. they are available at most parts stores, some may have to order it. I do not know the Part # off hand , but that same set up is used on many fords up into the '70's and '80's. It is also used on a lot of heavy equipment. I used to have to change them on our boiler trucks here in Alaska that we use to clear frozen culverts in the winter. granted we were using it for diesel fuel, but the filter does not know the difference between diesel and gasoline

KULTULZ 09-11-2018 09:30 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by fordor41 (Post 1673540)

'60 pass. car.

Fuel pump has a canister filter housing screwed on the bottom with , I assume a filter element inside. maybe it is a canister filter. just noticed it yesterday and was hesitant to remove it without knowing if a replacement is available.

I have a large in-line filter installed before the carb so I suppose I could leave the pump filter off, if it was just a filter element inside the canister, if it was no good.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alaska Jim (Post 1673556)

There is a filter element in the screw on cannister. they are available at most parts stores, some may have to order it.

And also as mentioned, a photo of the inline filter would help. It is hard to say how the car was serviced since assembly. If there is a screw-on canister on the fuel pump (and who knows what the pump came off of), the replacement filter element is FG-1 which is still available NOS. The MOTORCRAFT short number will allow you to changeover to an aftermarket element more easily.

FYI- The FG-33 was a complete changeover kit used when FORD began changing from the canister style filter to the inline style. It should also take the FG-1 element if that is what is on the car. The kit mounted on the frame rail adjacent to the pump.

paul2748 09-11-2018 07:57 PM

On the 312 in my 54 Ford, I have a FE fuel pump with the canister filter on it.It is off a 360 CI truck, mid sixties. I have spare filter element. The manufacturer is ProGauge, part # CG20. On the box it list it as a replacement for the following:

AC - GF157
WIX 33271
Hastings GF6A
Purolater F21115

There is a sticker on it with a C4AZ-9365-B number and says Ford licensed product????

The number may be what your looking for. Check the numbers on ebay to see if they have your car as an application

KULTULZ 09-11-2018 09:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KULTULZ (Post 1673629)

It should also take the FG-1 element if that is what is on the car (C2AZ 9155-A).

IF the pump canister element is 1962/ it will take-

FORD C4AZ 9365-A - AUTOLITE - MOTORCRAFT FG-1

https://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/qhwAA...WG9/s-l640.jpg

NOTE- C4AZ 9365-B (FG-1-A) seems to be the service replacement for C4AZ 9365-A)

If the pump canister is 1962 (mid-year break) and earlier, it will take B6T 9365-A (FG-24).

fordor41 09-11-2018 09:49 PM

thanks guys, I'll do some searching and see what comes up.

Jay in Mass 09-18-2018 10:20 AM

A picture of your filter sure would help.

Gene F 10-22-2018 07:51 PM

The glass bowl, is there a spring under the element to hold it snug up against the intake hole so that gas is drawn through the paper element?

My glass bowl is deep enough that it just falls down about 1/4". Perhaps it was replaced, but the bail will never hold a shorter bowl tight.

KULTULZ 10-23-2018 01:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gene F (Post 1688250)

The glass bowl, is there a spring under the element to hold it snug up against the intake hole so that gas is drawn through the paper element?

My glass bowl is deep enough that it just falls down about 1/4". Perhaps it was replaced, but the bail will never hold a shorter bowl tight.

What are you working on?

dmsfrr 10-23-2018 11:56 AM

4 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Gene F (Post 1688250)

It all depends on which fuel filter you have. There are more than a few different kinds.
Is the fuel filter part of the fuel pump (photo 4) or something else?

It's possible the filter element is a friction fit on the shoulder of the Inlet at the center of the housing. (photo 1)

The gasket for the glass bowl will hold the filter up in place but it should be carefully centered to avoid unfiltered fuel exiting the housing. (photo 2)