The Ford Barn

The Ford Barn (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Model A (1928-31) (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Gas Leaks-Lines & Shutoff Valve-29 Tudor (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=241239)

father-son 03-21-2018 03:04 PM

Gas Leaks-Lines & Shutoff Valve-29 Tudor

First, thanks to all for the thoughts, solutions and opinions related to gas leaks and how to stop them. This is a father-son daily driver project, not a points car. Just want to avoid blowing up Annabelle. So...

1) shut-off valve: in order to get a tight seal the valve has to turn past a functional alignment with the gas line. No way to get a tight seal without using fuel rated gasket sealer and (oh god!) fuel rated sealer tape.

2) fuel lines: lots of leaks without using (oh god!) fuel rated sealer tape. We have made sure the fuel lines are properly seated, ferrulls aligned, etc.

Many on the boards oppose using gasket sealer & tape for various reasons including clogging fuel lines? but supposedly the fuel rated tape will not break down. Thx!

Ed Wendell 03-22-2018 12:07 AM

Re: Gas Leaks-Lines & Shutoff Valve-29 Tudor

Father-son,
I tried a different shutoff valve on the tank and was able to get it pointing in the correct direction. Be sure you add an in tank filter while you have it apart.
I take it we are talking about the fuel line from the shutoff to the filter. First check the seats on the shutoff and the filter. I had to fit my gas line 3 times before it stopped leaking. Had to bend the line just a bit to get it to seat straight.
Good luck,
Ed

Ray64 03-22-2018 07:04 AM

I had an unstoppable leak that was caused by a hairline crack in the ferrule on the end of the line.

katy 03-22-2018 09:50 AM

Quote:

2) fuel lines:
Are you having trouble w/both lines? The line between the valve and the filter has flare fittings and the line from the filter to the carburetor has compression fittings (w/ferrules).

father-son 03-22-2018 11:38 AM

katy, have leaks at both lines (to shut-off valve & to carb). For the 29 the brass fitting at the carb is a single piece, no separate ferule. The 31 fitting at carp is a two-piece with separate ferrule.

Tom Wesenberg 03-22-2018 10:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by father-son (Post 1608172)
katy, have leaks at both lines (to shut-off valve & to carb). For the 29 the brass fitting at the carb is a single piece, no separate ferule. The 31 fitting at carp is a two-piece with separate ferrule.

Some are now coming as one piece that snaps the ferrule when you get it tight enough. You have to really tighten it to make it snap. I use a bit of oil for this process.

father-son 03-23-2018 08:55 AM

Tom & all, the one-piece brass fitting for the outside gas line at carb is what I have for my 29. The two-piece I believe is listed for the 31's. I think both are 1/4" fittings. Does anyone have a preference? I am used to using the traditional separate ferrule as I can get the alignment better.

Brendan 03-23-2018 09:17 AM

i replaced my fuel line with a new one, i could not get it to stop leaking. i tightened it up and it would leak more. then i ordered another one still the same thing. then i took it off and i saw that it did not fit between the farrels tight i took out some of the bend and it worked good

Brendan 03-23-2018 09:18 AM

one other thing i did later was a dirty leg fuel valve set up. can one of you guys,post it

Brendan 03-23-2018 09:25 AM

check out dirty leg post, i just brought back up. could not figger out how to put a link

katy 03-23-2018 09:33 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Try this:

father-son 03-26-2018 05:54 PM

Katy, Brendan & all, thanks for the info on the dirty leg setup. Not real impressed with Henry's shut-off valve and interior gas line design.

The one-piece brass fitting for the outside gas line at the glass filter bowl and at the carb is what I was using on my 29. The two-piece fitting with separate ferrule worked much better and now no leaks for outside gas line. Some seem to prefer the two-piece fitting, it sure worked better for me.

Fred K-OR 03-26-2018 06:19 PM

I could not get the line on my 29 from the filter to carb to stop leaking. So I bought a new line and problems went away.

Also on my other rig I had problems with fittings. I found some stuff at the parts house that you smear on the fittings and it seals up the fittings. Works good but a bit messy.