The Ford Barn

The Ford Barn (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Model A (1928-31) (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   After Market Shocks (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=223083)

jwaldrich 06-19-2017 08:32 PM

After Market Shocks

Does anyone have any pictures of the aftermarket shock kit https://www.brattons.com/no-drilling...nting-kit.html
installed on their car?

I am most interested in the front shocks and any installation issues you had.

Railcarmover 06-19-2017 10:01 PM

Re: After Market Shocks

Rekon a feller could run up his own brackets and save a few hundred..

duke36 06-20-2017 12:39 AM

the front lower brackets attach to the axle with allen screws and the trick is to get them uniformly snug on each side especially if a lot of paint build up on the axle where the bracket v shaped grooves attach. These brackets should be checked for tightness periodically. (avoids drilling front axle). Also, no front Panhard bar can be used with the tube set up as described. There is drilling for the rear axle as per the instructions available on Snyder's website. The same design oil filled shocks provided are used on all 4 corners and work fine for a heavy 4 door sedan.

jwaldrich 06-20-2017 09:46 AM

I have a 1929 Sport Coupe and the rear shocks installed easily but I am finding "riding" conditions with the front shocks and the steering linkage which is why I asked for pictures of installed shocks.
These are "no drill" shocks that the upper mount uses the original shock mounting holes.

jwaldrich 06-20-2017 07:26 PM

duke36 06-20-2017 09:57 PM

1 Attachment(s)
here's a photo of the Bratton's shock as requested.. The axle mount is located from king pin bolt per instructions, and top bracket hole is used for upper mount. the finish is excellent (minus the dust) but the paint needs to be scraped from the holes to allow bolt fitment. the ride varies depending on model, better with heavy laden sedan.

jwaldrich 06-21-2017 11:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by duke36 (Post 1488470)
here's a photo of the Bratton's shock as requested.. The axle mount is located from king pin bolt per instructions, and top bracket hole is used for upper mount. the finish is excellent (minus the dust) but the paint needs to be scraped from the holes to allow bolt fitment. the ride varies depending on model, better with heavy laden sedan.

THANK you! Your picture makes perfect sense to me. I was mounting the upper mount upside down causing all kids of problems. :eek:

Barry B./ Ma. 06-21-2017 02:05 PM

I mounted those on the front of the 30 roadster I had and they were much too stiff, the car rode terribly but may go well on a heavier car like a fordor sedan.

Jason in TX 06-21-2017 02:15 PM

Go straight to the source for $100 cheaper and support your hobbiest!

CLICK BELOW FOR PICTURES!
http://www.kendavismodela.com/Shocks.html

Kit comes with 4 modern shocks and all required brackets and bolts for easy installation. These shocks are a must for any Model A’er who prefers to drive his or her car more than the occasional parade. Also, they cost less than half the price of original-type reproductions, and they do not leak! The rear shocks are 100% bolt-on, while the front shocks require 3/8” hole drilled in the axle. Give your family a comfortable ride with our modern shock kits!

Kits are $250 plus $25 shipping in the lower 48.
Prices are subject to change.

Ken Davis Model A Shocks and Air Conditioning
4600 West Jim Mitchell
Colleyville, TX 76034
817-540-1513
[email protected]

http://www.kendavismodela.com/th_leftinstalled2.jpg

Jason in TX 06-21-2017 02:38 PM

Oh, I now see you already own the no drill ones. Glad you got it sorted out.

Brian SATX 06-21-2017 02:50 PM

Bratton's do not require any drilling. Ken's require you to drill a hole in the front axle.

jwaldrich 06-22-2017 11:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jason in TX (Post 1488784)
Oh, I now see you already own the no drill ones. Glad you got it sorted out.

Yup. Appreciate all the responses!

daveymc29 06-22-2017 01:21 PM

I had the no drill tubes on the front of my roadster, Bratton's as I recall, with the drill one hole to mount rears. I took them off, as for me, the ride was way too stiff. Perhaps on a heavier car with a toolbox, well stocked, in the from, they may have been okay. I'll be glad to send the whole set to anyone that wants them for $100.00 plus ups shipping. (Or postal if they will go in a priority box.) PM if interested

jwaldrich 06-22-2017 02:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by daveymc29 (Post 1489217)
I had the no drill tubes on the front of my roadster, Bratton's as I recall, with the drill one hole to mount rears. I took them off, as for me, the ride was way too stiff. Perhaps on a heavier car with a toolbox, well stocked, in the from, they may have been okay. I'll be glad to send the whole set to anyone that wants them for $100.00 plus ups shipping. (Or postal if they will go in a priority box.) PM if interested

Took her for a test drive last night with just the rear shocks installed and loved the difference in the ride. I believe I will install them on the front as I still have some "sway" there that I am fairly certain the shocks will eliminate.

Thanks for your feedback.

Tom Davis 10-23-2019 09:27 AM

are the schock parts still available? Tom in the state of Washington

Curtis in MA 10-23-2019 09:50 AM

The link in post 1 still works.
When I lost some bolts Bratton's sent new ones free.
Maybe they will send parts.

Tacoma Bob 10-23-2019 10:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tom Davis (Post 1812887)
are the schock parts still available? Tom in the state of Washington

I have the Rainmaker Ron set up. I took them off and went with Stipe Machine. Point being I kept the brackets. If you want to borrow them and use them for patterns c'mon up the freeway.
Tacoma Bob