The Ford Barn

The Ford Barn (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Model A (1928-31) (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Motor Mount rubber (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=215254)

duke36 02-20-2017 06:42 PM

Motor Mount rubber

Would like to know the correct thickness of the flat rubber between the original mounts and frame; the vendors pads appear to be too thick.

Art Newland 02-20-2017 06:46 PM

Re: Motor Mount rubber

FWIW, I just installed a new set, and it went together fine. Pretty sure I got them from Brattons.

Dollar Bill 02-20-2017 06:48 PM

I don't have the dimensions but the ones I got from Brattons about 2 years ago were too thick. Ordered from Snyder's and they fit perfectly.

SeaSlugs 02-20-2017 06:50 PM

mine from snyder a year ago were fine.

Keith True 02-20-2017 07:00 PM

Remember,they're not just flat pads.They have little sleeves molded onto the three holes that fit through the frame.

CarlG 02-20-2017 07:30 PM

I bought a set from Berts and another set from Snyder's. If I remember correctly, I used the rubber from Snyder's and the hardware from Bert's. That combination finally worked.

Steve Plucker 02-20-2017 09:06 PM

The ones I got from Brattons were to thick and to hard...The ones I got from Snyders were perfect.

Pluck

BudP 02-20-2017 09:09 PM

My experience also: Bratton's were too thick, Snyders were a good fit.

califfarmer 02-20-2017 10:43 PM

I installed the Snyder's rubber last week and slide the engine in place with only a little help from my teenaged son. They fit great

Larry Jenkins 02-20-2017 11:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Keith True (Post 1432141)
Remember,they're not just flat pads.They have little sleeves molded onto the three holes that fit through the frame.

Not quite right. The one's from Snyders has the molded in sections where the supplied steel tubes slip in to prior to assembly.

The engine dropped right in without a frame jack or any adjustments to the engine mount assemblies

Mike V. Florida 02-21-2017 12:09 AM

Too thick or too thick for your car?

"The rubber pads between the rear motor mount to frame and frame to support mounting plates. 4 pieces. Unlike others on the market ours are made to the original blue prints."

motor-mount-pads

Tom Wesenberg 02-21-2017 12:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Larry Jenkins (Post 1432312)
Not quite right. The one's from Snyders has the molded in sections where the supplied steel tubes slip in to prior to assembly.

The engine dropped right in without a frame jack or any adjustments to the engine mount assemblies

Isn't that what Keith said?:confused:

The last 3 sets I bought from Snyder's over 5 years have been a perfect fit.:)

Keith True 02-21-2017 07:07 AM

That is what I said,or,at least,it's what I was trying to say.

duke36 02-21-2017 11:17 AM

Have a set that came in an extra parts box and seem to be very thick and not sure where they came from. Just would like a thickness dimension of some inner pads that work. I guess we'll try the vendors. BTW, we are so fortunate that there are excellent vendors with parts for our cars. Try to find spider gears for mid to late '20's De Sotos !!

Larry Jenkins 02-21-2017 04:34 PM

For the Snyders parts, the sleeves are not "molded in" the rubber. They are loose and must be installed before final assembly.

Sam Ting..

Maybe my old eyes are getting worse..

Keith True 02-21-2017 05:29 PM

I guess I've never seen them like that.All the ones I've used have half the rubber sleeve molded on one part,and the other half on the other.Then they meet somewhere in the middle of the frame and the little steel bushing pushes through the two halves.

2manycars 02-21-2017 05:46 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Here are two photos of rubber pads that I photographed several years ago. The thin ones were very old, and the thick ones were what was being offered at the time.

duke36 02-22-2017 01:53 PM

thank you 2many; that 's kind of what I remember from originals tossed. It's the inside frame rubber that is too thick.

Step-down 02-22-2017 06:11 PM

Spread the frame slightly , port-a- power of make one with threaded rod and a pipe. Don't need much , thick or thin .......