The Ford Barn

The Ford Barn (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Model A (1928-31) (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Height adjustment (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=143431)

bradtripp 07-02-2014 07:30 PM

Height adjustment

Hi everyone, I just logged onto this forum for the first time. I have been building and restoring VW's for a long time and just purchased a 31 Model a pickup the other day. I totally dig it. I notice that it is not sitting square to the ground.. Drivers side setting almost an inch lower to the ground than the passenger. I was wondering if someone in this group of fellow enthusiasts has any insight as to a remedy to fix this problem. Any help would be appreciated.............Brad

bradtripp 07-02-2014 07:33 PM

Re: Height adjustment

The height is different from the ground to the frame

J Franklin 07-02-2014 07:36 PM

You could reverse a few of the spring leaves, or if the spring is sagging too much have it re-arched.

bradtripp 07-02-2014 07:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by J Franklin (Post 903929)
You could reverse a few of the spring leaves, or if the spring is sagging too much have it re-arched.

would that account for it being low on just one side?

bradtripp 07-02-2014 07:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bradtripp (Post 903931)
would that account for it being low on just one side?

Or should I say Could that account?

goodoldvic 07-02-2014 07:54 PM

Hi try loosing the spring u bolts thru the frame and pushing up on the low side, with some force then retighten the u bolts. they lean like that sometimes cause only one rider has been in it.

goodoldvic 07-02-2014 08:03 PM

Push up on the body, on the door header that's what I've done in the past. You could pull the springs( use proper tool on rear) and re arc them. I did my front and it cured the lean, for a while anyhow

J Franklin 07-02-2014 08:26 PM

The lean is caused by many years with just the driver who might have been a tad portly.

Clem Clement 07-02-2014 09:19 PM

Take your time and study your car. Maybe the spring off center. Look at shackle wear. We have covered this on the Barn many times. Lube the shackles and spray the springs with a light lube. Don't start tearing the car apart right away. Bad idea. Get her running and enjoy her. She will tell you what she need fixing. A one inch sag ain't bad

Clem Clement 07-02-2014 09:28 PM

Take a hefty bud for a ride and see if it evens up

clay co 27 07-02-2014 10:13 PM

Bradtripp, how far are you from clay county, I have a spring spreader.

H. L. Chauvin 07-03-2014 02:38 AM

Hi Brad,

A. Without "seeing" what you have, "anything" is possible & solution "guesses" could run into the millions from broken spring leaves to old Fatty Arbuckle driving you car for 20 years.

B. But you can let us know in detail a few accurate measurements & distances after first driving on to a level paved surface & indicate dimensions from:

1. Ground to bottom of chassis behind left & right front axle; &,

2. Ground to bottom of chassis in front of left & right rear axle; &,

3. Ground to center of the L & R spring's outer round eyes at shackles of the front axle; &,

4. Ground to center of the L & R spring's outer round eyes at shackles of the rear axle.

C. Both front & rear springs are designed to be secured with a center bolt in the spring's center which should be provided at the transverse center of the vehicle.

D. After seeing what you have, you will quickly realize that everything on a Model A is very straight forward & very simple & can be resolved with just simple thinking.

E. After measuring, just for kicks, let us know what you find -- many will try to assist if more help is needed .

Terry,NJ 07-03-2014 10:07 AM

Brad, DON"T think that we're being over cautious about that "spring Spreader"! Those things are capable of severing limbs. and they make short work of a too light spreader made from scrap 3/4" pipe. There's a lot of energy in the spring, especially the rear one. Mine bent a 3/4" bolt like a piece of wet spaghetti.
Terry

CarlG 07-03-2014 03:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by J Franklin (Post 903962)
The lean is caused by many years with just the driver who might have been a tad portly.

Now you are starting to meddle!

bradtripp 07-09-2014 07:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1930 coupe (Post 903988)
Your problem could be the spring itself like broken or bent leaves. Or it might not be mounted in the frame properly, not centered, dirt between the frame and spring making it crooked and so on.
I cannot tell you what is wrong without looking at it, but it is a spring or spring mounting problem. Inspect your springs and spring mountings.
DO NOT TRY TO REMOVE YOUR REAR SPRING WITHOUT A PROPER SPRING SPREADER AND INSTRUCTIONS ON HOW TO DO IT, unless you want to go into space. Very dangerous if not done properly, With the proper tools and knowledge it is safe.

Thanks everyone for your insights. I don't plan on removing any leafs. I think i'll try loosening the shackles and center bolts, lubing the springs. During this process trying to shift the the chassis across the leafs then re-tighten.

Benson 07-09-2014 10:34 AM

1. Disconnect the shocks links, (check if any shocks are frozen) if any are frozen, then drive around a couple of blocks (to let things settle in) then recheck, parking in the same spot in driveway as the first measurement.

If one of more shocks are frozen it can hold the car up on one side or hold it down on one side.

2. Also be sure the pavement in your driveway is level. There is one spot in my concrete driveway where the left rear wheel sits that is lower than the rest of the driveway where the other 3 wheels sit ... makes it look like car is leaning to one side.

Michael Hunter 07-09-2014 11:21 AM

First, Park the vehicle on a level surface. Throw down something to lay on and start measuring at different points of the suspension. It starts with the frame. If the frame is tweaked you can always get by with shimming. Check all bushings, shackles, tire & wheel heights. A 1/4" in the suspension or frame can multiply on the outside body measurement.

BILL WILLIAMSON 07-09-2014 02:04 PM

Well, I left Vermin's R/H door open for 3 days & he leaned to the RIGHT. Left his L/H door open for 3 days & he was level! Left the L/H door open for 3 MORE days & he leaned LEFT!
Does HE have a problem, or do I have a problem??? Buster T. WON'T comment.
Bill W.