The Ford Barn

The Ford Barn (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Model A (1928-31) (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Where to store your extra wheels (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=248059)

Houdini 07-19-2018 10:52 AM

Where to store your extra wheels

1 Attachment(s)
Have an extra wheel or two and wondering where you might store them, yet make them functional in the meantime. How about a stool.

I decided to make a stool for my shop with the stamped steel tractor seat I got at a flea market, and came up with using my very cracked extra 19" wheel as part of the base, to add weight as well as novelty.

The stool is about 24 inches high. I cut a circular piece of plywood for the base and attached 5 caster wheels, so it wouldn't be tippy. Then bolted down a 1.5 inch pipe flange to screw the pipe post into. The top of the posted is a welded on piece of flat steel to attach the seat to. The plywood was cut so it fit into the outer edge of the rim. To save buying fine thread bolts for the wheel, I tapped old lug nuts to coarse thread, as that was easy to do and allowed me to use standard coarse thread 1/2 bolts. Finally got around to painting the wheel bright yellow the other day and to my surprise, there are even more cracks and bad welds than I originally thought. Looks like even a whole section between two spokes around the hub was all cracked out. Makes me wonder (and worry) how a wheel could have gotten so badly cracked. And to think this was on my car once(prior to me owning it).

I need to still find something to put around part of the upper rim, as to use the stool comfortably, one would put their feet on the edge of the rim. Maybe slit a piece of heavy hose and put that on?

Anyone else find ways to use their old wheels.

Benson 07-19-2018 11:15 AM

Re: Where to store your extra wheels

One way they get cracked is when someone runs late "B" wheels on an early AR Drum/Hub and vise versa.

saintjoelarry 07-19-2018 12:03 PM

I love it. Creative and functional.

Way to go!

30 Mike 07-19-2018 04:27 PM

wow ! that's really cool!

Big hammer 07-19-2018 04:30 PM

Nice! But now there not spares :-)

noboD 07-20-2018 01:02 AM

I keep a junk wheel and tire leaning against a post at the end of my driveway. Every once in a while someone steals it. The next day there's a new one there, messes with their head!!

rocket1 07-20-2018 07:11 AM

Cut a wheel in half and mount it to the house or barn,use it to coil a air hose or garden hose around.

Houdini 07-20-2018 10:21 AM

Rocket1, Like the idea of using an old wheel as a hose holder. Could even use it without cutting it. Thanks for the idea.

NoboD, you must have a lot of junk wheels to keep replacing them, when they disappear.

Vin-tin 07-20-2018 04:55 PM

1 Attachment(s)
This is what I did with an old wheel I had sitting around. Thought it might please the wife and maybe help her to like old cars a little bit. I was wrong.

28 07-20-2018 06:23 PM

Planning a clock. Just haven't gotten to it because I like getting projects faster than I can finish them.

amodel25 07-23-2018 12:38 PM

I had a couple of 19" wheels that were too cracked to repair so I used them to make a mailbox post in 1982. I had a post on the bottom with a 12" x 12" plate on the bottom of the post. Had the thing in the ground 3 feet with two bags of concrete. Nobody was going to knock this one over. Sold the house (and mailbox post) in 1994. I f9nally decided to drive by and check out the old house last year. Lo and behold there was my mailbox post standing proudly, still in service. I've had thoughts about stopping and offering to buy it but I'd never get it out of the ground........