The Ford Barn

The Ford Barn (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Early V8 (1932-53) (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   48 coupe- tinkling sound in rear brakes (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=170348)

Bolts 06-03-2015 10:50 PM

48 coupe- tinkling sound in rear brakes

The car is up on stands (all wheels off the ground). Need to adjust the brakes and emergency brake cable.

Started the car and let it warm up then put it in first gear and let the clutch out. Don't notice much noise. maybe a little. Shifted to second and let the clutch out. Not much sound, maybe a little. Put the car in third and this tinkling sound appears to be coming from the rear drums.

All this at idle speed. If I increase the speed slightly, the noise becomes more pronounced in third gear.

If I set the emergency brake, only left wheel stops and the noise continues to be audible on the spinning (right rear) wheel.

Could the noise be coming from loose shoes and/or loose emergency brake cable touching the drum?

Wondering if the ujoint is loose?

All brakes are new. Bearings are good and recently repacked. New seals.

Anyone ever had this happen?

Ken/Alabama 06-03-2015 11:11 PM

Re: 48 coupe- tinkling sound in rear brakes

Yes, I had it on my 47 coupe once. Turned out to be the lever that's fastened to the shoe was worn and also the pin allowing a lot of side movement . The lever is the one that the ball end of the brake cable attaches to

George/Maine 06-04-2015 06:42 AM

Some times the drum are not turned back far enough and the shoes rub on the side of shoes.

my4dv8 06-04-2015 02:56 PM

We had a similar problem on the road and although we had 56 f100 brakes on our flathead diff and the E brake retaining clip had popped off , tinkle tinkle . I think you need to pull the suspect drum anyway .

Bolts 06-04-2015 08:23 PM

I think that's the thing to do. I adjusted the brakes, but the E brake cable has no more adjustment. Guess it's time for a new one.
I thought a little tension on the E brake lever inside the drum might stop it from rattling if that's what is making the noise.

Mart 06-05-2015 01:52 AM

Would pulling the hub or hubs to actually have a look inside be out of the question?

Bolts 06-06-2015 05:49 PM

Be the smart thing to do, yeah? No problem pulling the hubs Mart. except I only have the wrong type puller. I can ask to borrow one again from a friend if mine doesn't work first off, but I just put the hubs on about 6 months ago and have only driven the car about a mile since, so they might come off without too much trouble. Don't want to damage the drums with my puller, so it might be easy maybe not.
I'm starting to wonder which is the bigger expense, parts or tools?
If I find anything in there I'll post some pictures, but honestly, I was so careful putting the brakes on, I just cannot imagine what is happening.