The Ford Barn

The Ford Barn (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Early V8 (1932-53) (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Extra Carb Part (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=191632)

32FordCollector 03-14-2016 12:58 PM

Extra Carb Part

1 Attachment(s)
This is my first attempt at rebuilding a carburetor. I'm rebuilding a 94 2 barrel carb for a 59 AB engine. I thought everything went just fine until I realized that I have an extra spring. Cannot figure out where it should have been installed. It would have been an original spring and the rebuild kit didn't have a replacement. It's possible that the rebuild kit parts don't require it but I just thought I would go ahead and ask to see if anyone recognizes it. I took the picture along side an economizer valve so that it was easy to see how large it is. Thanks in advance for any assistance anyone can provide, I'm literally learning by trial and error.

Attachment 262321

Bruce_MO 03-14-2016 01:14 PM

Re: Extra Carb Part

I will defer to the carb rebuilders who are a lot more familiar than I am, but that spring doesn't look like it belongs in a 94. I just redid two of them yesterday and the only spring I can think of is for the accelerator pump. It's longer and cylindrical in shape.

Terry,OH 03-14-2016 02:50 PM

It may be the spring under the die cast cap on the outside of the carb for the throttle linkage.

flatheadmurre 03-14-2016 03:08 PM

Spring goes under the acc pump piston.

scicala 03-14-2016 03:40 PM

There is no spring that goes under the accel pump piston. I agree with Terry,OH. The only spring similar to that is the one on the end of the throttle shaft for the hand throttle lever (die cast) if you're carb is equipped with that. Later ones had no lever on that side.

Sal

flatheadmurre 03-14-2016 03:44 PM

If its a rebuilders or other option im not sure of but that kind of spring sits under the acc piston in some 94 carbs.
And i´ve taken a few apart so i know for sure its not to unusual.

Walt Dupont--Me. 03-14-2016 03:45 PM

It's a spring that goes under the acc pump, it's not original, some odd kits have them in it, I don't use um. Walt

flatheadmurre 03-14-2016 03:48 PM

What they do is act as a return spring for the throttleshaft by forcing the acc pump up.

Charlie ny 03-14-2016 04:29 PM

That spring kind of does appear like those occasionally seen under the acc pump....
for best results toss it. That other thing is not the economizer valve, it's for the
last version of the carb and is a shall I say , a spark control valve. The economizer/
power valve does look similar except you will observe a spring and plunger on the
threaded end of the power valve.
Charlie ny

Karl Wescott 03-14-2016 04:38 PM

A little OT, reminds me of when a cousin got married and some family members left the hood ajar on the getaway car with a small pile of random used ignition and carb parts on top of the air cleaner. It took the bride and groom a good hour of checking to figure out that we had not actually messed with anything.

V8COOPMAN 03-14-2016 04:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Karl Wescott (Post 1258771)
A little OT, reminds me of when a cousin got married and some family members left the hood ajar on the getaway car with a small pile of random used ignition and carb parts on top of the air cleaner. It took the bride and groom a good hour of checking to figure out that we had not actually messed with anything.

Now I LIKE that one! DD

Kube 03-14-2016 06:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by flatheadmurre (Post 1258724)
Spring goes under the acc pump piston.

Some kits do in fact contain a "helper" spring that is placed beneath the accelerator pump. That's what your kit had in it.
I have NEVER seen a kit that had the spring that goes beneath the throttle link. Plus, that spring looks nothing like this one.

scicala 03-15-2016 10:55 AM

32fordcollector said the kit did not have that spring in it, so I still think I may have come from under the die cast throttle lever on the driver's side of the carb. Doesn't look like the right diameters for a pump return spring (which never came in OEM carbs). Only from rebuilders.

Sal

flatjack9 03-15-2016 12:34 PM

As has been said several times, that spring is sometimes under the accel pump rod. I also never use them.