The Ford Barn

The Ford Barn (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Model A (1928-31) (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Choke to start all the time? (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=272165)

Fairview 11-04-2019 06:22 PM

Choke to start all the time?

1 Attachment(s)
My 1929 Sport Coupe takes a bit of choke to start even when fairly warmed up. Is that normal?

Carburetor is clean and recently rebuilt, recent ignition parts replaced, timing seems spot on, compression is strong. It just takes a quick pull on the choke, but makes it difficult to handcrank unless the engine was shut down just a minute before. Without a dab of choke it simply won’t start or fire. Position of the GAV valve doesn’t seem to help with starting. Switch to Champion W18 plugs from the original style 3X doesn’t seem to make a difference.

Any ideas for me?

Thanks

Curtis in MA 11-04-2019 06:38 PM

Re: Choke to start all the time?

When hand cranking use a cloths pin to hold the choke open to prime it with ignition off.
I think I always choke mine.

30 Closed Cab PU 11-04-2019 06:44 PM

My truck starts that way too. Do not know if it is normal.
I have a wire with a loop on the end onto teh choke plate to pull plate closed when hand starting. The wire goes up to the radiator.
Ignition off, pull closed 2 compressions with the hand crank, push the wire back in , ignition on, motor starts on next hand crank try.

loubob 11-04-2019 06:54 PM

Sounds like it is a carb problem/issue.

Mulletwagon 11-04-2019 07:00 PM

Should easily start with no choke. Might look for a vacuum leak.

mike657894 11-04-2019 07:01 PM

It should start warm no choke. 2nd on Vacuum leak.

Patrick L. 11-04-2019 07:02 PM

Mine is old and tired and acts the same. Once warm it'll start without choke within 1/2 hour most times. More time than that and the right hand is needed. A nano-second of choke at any time is all thats needed.

kimlinh 11-04-2019 07:37 PM

Check your float level. If the fuel level is low in the float bowl it is harder for the engine to draw gas from the jets.

aermotor 11-04-2019 08:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fairview (Post 1817753)
My 1929 Sport Coupe takes a bit of choke to start even when fairly warmed up. Is that normal?

Carburetor is clean and recently rebuilt, recent ignition parts replaced, timing seems spot on, compression is strong. It just takes a quick pull on the choke, but makes it difficult to handcrank unless the engine was shut down just a minute before. Without a dab of choke it simply won’t start or fire. Position of the GAV valve doesn’t seem to help with starting. Switch to Champion W18 plugs from the original style 3X doesn’t seem to make a difference.

Any ideas for me?

Thanks

Go back to your previous post and research what the GAV and choke are - they are not the same animals even though they share the same knob. If you are familiar with small aircraft engines compare the GAV to the mixture control and the choke to the primer.

John

eagle 11-04-2019 08:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aermotor (Post 1817813)
Go back to your previous post and research what the GAV and choke are - they are not the same animals even though they share the same knob. If you are familiar with small aircraft engines compare the GAV to the mixture control and the choke to the primer.

John

I don't think the OP is confused about the GAV vs the choke. If all else runs well, whats wrong with a short choke pull when starting? For hand starting, there is a brass wire and ring choke kit you can buy from the vendors that works well and is a great conversation starter. Also looks kind of cool.

WHN 11-04-2019 08:28 PM

Our 29 Sport Coupe has always been that way.

Runs great, new Zenith carb, everything new or rebuilt, but needs choke to start.

Fairview 11-04-2019 08:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aermotor (Post 1817813)

John

John,

I’m not sure what suggested to you that I don’t know the difference between the function of the choke and the GAV. This is my fourth Model A so I am right familiar with them. This one seems more stubborn than the others as far as ease of starting.

The reason I mentioned the GAV is that I figured the requirement of using the choke is showing a lean condition and the enrichment of the GAV might be helpful, but it seems to make no difference in starting.

Jeff

Bill G 11-04-2019 09:13 PM

Mine only needs choking when cold.

30 Closed Cab PU 11-05-2019 11:17 AM

I do not know if true, but have been told in the past that A's can have their own "personality". As long as; it is running well, starts easily, spark plug reads look good, decent gas mileage, does not stall at stop, settings used are not that important - no worries, drive and enjoy it.

Patrick L. 11-05-2019 12:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 30 Closed Cab PU (Post 1817975)
I do not know if true, but have been told in the past that A's can have their own "personality". As long as; it is running well, starts easily, spark plug reads look good, decent gas mileage, does not stall at stop, settings used are not that important - no worries, drive and enjoy it.

Yep !