The Ford Barn

The Ford Barn (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Model A (1928-31) (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Marvel schebler main jet flow rate (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=257114)

RUNNERBUN 01-04-2019 10:10 PM

Marvel schebler main jet flow rate

I have recently accuired a Marvel Schebler Carburetta which is in very nice condition. I have tested it on an engine which is on a stand and it appears to run quite nicely other than it seems to be running a bit too rich even with the GAV turned all the way in.
I would like to test the flow rate of the main jet which unfortunately appears to be interfered with (rough solder at the tip)
I am aware of the great articles written by Barner Jeff in BC but I can't find any reference to a flow rate for the main jet.
Can any one supply an acceptable flow rate for me to test and resize as required.
Thank you in advance for any advice.

A big thank you to Jeff in BC for all his great work, it was very useful.

Runnerbun

redmodelt 01-05-2019 12:48 AM

Re: Marvel schebler main jet flow rate

I would suggest measuring it now, re solder and drill a few sizes smaller then work up.

RUNNERBUN 01-05-2019 01:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by redmodelt (Post 1712734)
I would suggest measuring it now, re solder and drill a few sizes smaller then work up.

Thanks Redmodelt, that's my back up plan if I can't get an actual flow rate. Just thought I would take the easy way out first.

Synchro909 01-05-2019 04:30 AM

When I got my first Model A, the PO had adjusted the flow rate of the main jet by putting about 4 strands of wire from ordinary plastic covered electrical wire. He put them through the jet and bent over the top and bottom so they wouldn't fall out. I think he did it by trial and error and he knew what he was doing. The car ran very well, had as much power as any of the other cars in the club and usually won the best economy trials.

RUNNERBUN 01-05-2019 04:49 AM

Synchro, that is definately thinking outside of the square. If all else fails I might just give it a try.

PRG999 01-05-2019 06:24 AM

Interesting topic. Where does one get the drills small enough to drill out the jet?

I have been playing with the MS carbs, ( An addiction of sorts) All run good. Some get great mileage others get horrible.

Paul

Dan/Kzo 01-05-2019 06:39 AM

Google pin vice drill bits for some options

RUNNERBUN 01-05-2019 06:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PRG999 (Post 1712757)
Interesting topic. Where does one get the drills small enough to drill out the jet?

I have been playing with the MS carbs, ( An addiction of sorts) All run good. Some get great mileage others get horrible.

Paul

Just search Micro drill bits on Ebay. Plenty available, mostly under $4 to $5 or your nearest tool supply shop should be able to help.
You will also need a pin vise (a hand operated chuck /vise to hold your micro bits.)

BILL WILLIAMSON 01-05-2019 07:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dan/Kzo (Post 1712758)
Google pin vice drill bits for some options

Dan,
I have a drill set that goes down to .022"----Imagine the precise machinery that made it? I LOST it in the carpet & Buster T, my Dog, found it for me!!!
Bill W.

Dick M 01-05-2019 01:37 PM

Here is the Guru for Marvel-Shembler carbs:

JR BULLOCK
976 COUNTRY ROAD 2310
TEXARKANA, TX 75503
TEL: 903-748-8299
[email protected]

JR rebuilds and sells Marvels. Give him an call. I think he could accurately answer any questions you may have.