The Ford Barn

The Ford Barn (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Model A (1928-31) (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Picker's & " A " 's Tonight (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=238149)

davehc 01-29-2018 07:23 AM

Picker's & " A " 's Tonight

I see according to the TV listing for this evening at 9:00 , that the " American Picker's " guy's are to be in Indiana somewhere , meeting "The Model A Ford Lady" , and her rare Model A Tow Truck . Thought you might like to check it out if you can , I realize a lot of us aren't their biggest fans , but the TV entertainment now days leaves a LOT to be desired .

JDupuis 01-29-2018 08:04 AM

Re: Picker's & " A " 's Tonight

Thanks Dave, if I can't watch that episode tonight, I will certainly see a rerun of it over the next few months.:). Jeff

40 Deluxe 01-29-2018 10:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by davehc (Post 1585570)
I see according to the TV listing for this evening at 9:00 , that the " American Picker's " guy's are to be in Indiana somewhere , meeting "The Model A Ford Lady" , and her rare Model A Tow Truck . Thought you might like to check it out if you can , I realize a lot of us aren't their biggest fans , but the TV entertainment now days leaves a LOT to be desired .

These types of shows are too scripted and rehearsed. They really are not "reality" shows.

john charlton 01-29-2018 12:25 PM

A couple of nights ago a rerun of "Chasing Classic Cars" was on TV .A car featured was a 30 or 31 de luxe roadster in chicle and copra drab (looks like) .Maybe I missed it but no one seemed to notice the wrong rear bumper setup and no rear luggage rack .

John in windy Suffolk County England .

Purdy Swoft 01-29-2018 12:51 PM

Thanks Dave!!! I'll try to remember and watch . It doesn't matter if it is too scripted . I'll just be watching to se the model A and the model A lady .

CHuDWah 01-29-2018 05:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by john charlton (Post 1585688)
A couple of nights ago a rerun of "Chasing Classic Cars" was on TV .A car featured was a 30 or 31 de luxe roadster in chicle and copra drab (looks like) .Maybe I missed it but no one seemed to notice the wrong rear bumper setup and no rear luggage rack .

John in windy Suffolk County England .

The luggage rack and full-length rear bumper (and left side-mount spare wheel/tire) are correct for 1930 only. 1931 has the usual rear-mount spare, split bumper and no luggage rack - however, the 1930-style items were a special order extra cost option.

aermotor 01-29-2018 06:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by davehc (Post 1585570)

I looked at 4 Model A's with asking prices of 3-4000 dollars and lot's of parts at a place the Pickers visited. They bought a sign or clock and the A's were never even shown on the program.

John

Jeff/Illinois 01-29-2018 07:31 PM

Those two guys had best stay away from buying any old cars they seem to get gouged about every time. So, the prop masters that set all that up have to be ignorant about old cars since they are the ones who 'master the deal' before the A.Pickers even show up and go thru the motions:p

Fairview 01-29-2018 08:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jeff/Illinois (Post 1585905)
Those two guys had best stay away from buying any old cars they seem to get gouged about every time. So, the prop masters that set all that up have to be ignorant about old cars since they are the ones who 'master the deal' before the A.Pickers even show up and go thru the motions:p

That is incorrect in that the negotiations for items are completely unscripted. Everything else, such as knocking at the door, finding the place, etc is acted out, but the purchase negotiations are real.

I know from first hand knowledge from a show filmed in May here in Virginia, which aired in November.

Mike and Frank and their whole crew are very entertaining and fun to work with.

Purdy Swoft 01-29-2018 09:46 PM

I'm watching. Mike bought the 31 AA wrecker for eight thousand dollars. The truck isn't in running condition and will need door and cowl patches plus who knows what else. The mother and daughter have a collection of model A's and parts that they are willing to sell . It was interesting . Thanks Dave !!!!!!! If you hadn't mentioned it , I would have missed it .

figment 01-29-2018 09:53 PM

The Company is B J's Model A Parts . They have sold at the National Marc Meets for many years and probably many others . They still have a lot of original parts . The owner is easy to deal with . If they still have NOS parts then prices are different . Norm

Larry Jenkins 01-29-2018 11:57 PM

Watched it tonight for the first time. I would have bought the A 400 instead..

jw hash 01-30-2018 01:39 AM

Bill`s booth in Hershey was one of my first stops for NOS parts. and I still stop by there booth when I go to Hershey. over the years I bought a lot of parts from Bill before he passed on.

BILL WILLIAMSON 01-30-2018 03:07 AM

We have to remember that ALL TV shows are "SCRIPTED" & we have to throw out reality & try to enjoy it, as it is. OR, what else do we do? TWIDDLE our THUMBS??
Bill W.

davehc 01-30-2018 07:25 AM

I was surprised at what they paid for the Model A chair , $500 . I have been planing on building one of those , got most of the parts so far , at that price , I think I better get started .

my2nd40 01-30-2018 08:54 AM

Good pickers show. Always great to see an old time Model A supplier and their shop. The ladies weren't hard to look at either.

Roger V 01-30-2018 09:47 AM

Thanks Dave for the heads-up. I likely would have missed it. I've known Bill and Vanessa for at least going back forty-five years. Never knew a better person in Bill as well as his daughter Vanessa.

Bill Pursel 01-30-2018 10:59 AM

B J's is a great vendor located in Alexanderia ,Ind. bought a bucnh from them over last 30 years

Purdy Swoft 01-30-2018 11:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by my2nd40 (Post 1586096)
Good pickers show. Always great to see an old time Model A supplier and their shop. The ladies weren't hard to look at either.

I agree 100%

john charlton 01-30-2018 05:58 PM

Chudwah I should have clarified my post in that the roadster mentioned did not have a rear mounted spare . Thank you for your comment anyway .

John in same place same weather .