The Ford Barn

The Ford Barn (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Model A (1928-31) (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   running hot (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=241663)

woofa.express 03-29-2018 07:43 AM

running hot

woofa express runs hot. where do I go from here.?

had radiator cleaned including rodding out with both top and bottom tanks removed. ran cleaner through engine until clean and refilled with rust inhibitor.
fitted Snyder radiator shroud and 5 blade plastic fan.
removed splash plates.
when temp exceeds 25C ie 75F it will spill overboard a gallon and half when speed is 40mph.
car has travelled 2000 miles since engine overhaul and I believe I have timed it correctly using the tool that fits on distributor rotor and turning it til it hits number 4 plug lead post. forgot the name of the tool.
where do I go from here?
thankyou all in anticipation of your responses. cheers, gary

wmws 03-29-2018 08:17 AM

Re: running hot

Is the water actually boiling over at 100+c or is the water pump poring more water into the radiator than it can handle. Two different problems.

cpf240 03-29-2018 08:51 AM

Not enough clearance on the pistons? There is a whole thread about a guys rebuilt engine doing the same. Tried everything. Didn't stop overheating until cylinder and piston clearance was corrected.

woofa.express 03-29-2018 10:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wmws (Post 1611094)
Is the water actually boiling over at 100+c or is the water pump poring more water into the radiator than it can handle. Two different problems.

thankyou for your response. it looses water when the temp reaches the horizontal mark at the bottom of the circular look through hole on the cap gauge. I would think that would be 100C. ??
Some time ago a 28 owner told me he had his water pump shaved down. It was probably for this reason??
with thanks, gary

woofa.express 03-29-2018 10:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wmws (Post 1611094)

thankyou for your response. it looses water when the temp reaches the horizontal mark at the bottom of the circular look through hole on the cap gauge. I would think that would be 100C. ??
Some time ago a 28 owner told me he had his water pump shaved down. It was probably for this reason??
with thanks, gary
https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/hamb/...ser_online.gif https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/hamb/buttons/report.gif https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/hamb/misc/progress.gif

Tom Wesenberg 03-29-2018 10:31 AM

My 28 sent coolant out the overflow, until I flushed the block and radiator. My 29 sent coolant out the overflow because the cheap 2 row radiator couldn't handle the flow.

I would start by installing a thermostat. Trimming down the water pump fins is OK also. Be sure to use antifreeze, as it also raises the boiling point. Be sure timing is correct, and I only set it by the factory method. Pull the handle half way down as soon as the engine starts, and about 2/3 down while driving at 45 MPH with a stock engine. A bit less advance for a high compression head.

woofa.express 03-29-2018 10:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cpf240 (Post 1611112)
Not enough clearance on the pistons? There is a whole thread about a guys rebuilt engine doing the same. Tried everything. Didn't stop overheating until cylinder and piston clearance was corrected.

thankyou for your response. I am new to forums and this site. can't find where I locate any threads on this issue. have gone to find site and typed in running hot and other derivatives meaning same but can't find. with thousands of threads and probably hundreds of pages it would be a monumental job locating. could you help me please. with thanks, gary

super flat 03-29-2018 10:44 AM

Are you maybe over filling the radiator? They tend to find there proper level the quit throwing the water out.

Jw 03-29-2018 10:53 AM

Running lean will cause it to run hot

Tacoma Bob 03-29-2018 10:56 AM

Fought heating issues for many months and tried everything. In my case the fins of the radiator had separated just enough from the tubes to cause the rad. to NOT radiate the heat. New Brassworks rad solved the problem.

SeaSlugs 03-29-2018 11:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tacoma Bob (Post 1611153)
Fought heating issues for many months and tried everything. In my case the fins of the radiator had separated just enough from the tubes to cause the rad. to NOT radiate the heat. New Brassworks rad solved the problem.

yup or too much paint on the radiator will cause poor thermal exhange.

JBill 03-29-2018 11:12 AM

Radiator cap thermometers are generally not very accurate. You might try sticking some other kind of thermometer (some kind of cooking thermometer, e.g.) in there when it's hot to see what temp you've really got. I'm not saying yours is not accurate, but usually they're aren't very.

cpf240 03-29-2018 11:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by woofa.express (Post 1611145)
thankyou for your response. I am new to forums and this site. can't find where I locate any threads on this issue. have gone to find site and typed in running hot and other derivatives meaning same but can't find. with thousands of threads and probably hundreds of pages it would be a monumental job locating. could you help me please. with thanks, gary

This is the thread I was thinking about: https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=224132

johnbuckley 03-29-2018 12:10 PM

Wooofa, Are there any other symptoms that it's running hot other than water overflowing? ? If it runs Ok but water is pushed out it could be as has been suggested 1) possibly running within correct temp range but the expansion of the water is causing it to come out of theoverflow.? ( neverfill above the baffle of the rad when cold ) 2) over-turbulence of waterpump 3) small leak in the cylinder head gasket causing some pressure in the water system .. head needs retorquing several times after gasket replacement or head off. [I've experienced 1) and 3) with my years of A-ing but never 2) ]

Ernie Vitucci 03-29-2018 06:23 PM

Good Afternoon...I would suggest that you locate the nearest Model A Club and ask to speak to their Mechanic. Make arrangements for that person to look at your A and figure out what is going on. It really is the best way. It is good to belong to a club and it is much easier to maintain your A after the over heating problem has been corrected by someone who has seen the problem before. Ernie

woofa.express 03-29-2018 06:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ernie Vitucci (Post 1611325)
Good Afternoon...I would suggest that you locate the nearest Model A Club and ask to speak to their Mechanic. Make arrangements for that person to look at your A and figure out what is going on. It really is the best way. It is good to belong to a club and it is much easier to maintain your A after the over heating problem has been corrected by someone who has seen the problem before. Ernie

yes Ernie, I agree. I am in the Victorian (Australia) club which is based in the capital, Melbourne. unfortunately it is 180 miles from where I live. there are two guys in the semi proximity that are on my mind and if I can't solve it I'll contact them. they are too old to pick up spanners but could offer good commentary. thanks Ernie. cheers, gary

woofa.express 03-29-2018 06:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by johnbuckley (Post 1611195)
Wooofa, Are there any other symptoms that it's running hot other than water overflowing? ? If it runs Ok but water is pushed out it could be as has been suggested 1) possibly running within correct temp range but the expansion of the water is causing it to come out of theoverflow.? ( neverfill above the baffle of the rad when cold ) 2) over-turbulence of waterpump 3) small leak in the cylinder head gasket causing some pressure in the water system .. head needs retorquing several times after gasket replacement or head off. [I've experienced 1) and 3) with my years of A-ing but never 2) ]

Hi john, yes good suggestion. it no longer comes out the filling cap since I put new gasket there. and woofa is my dog. but I am not offended. cheers, gary. woofa is tied up to the spare wheel in my photograph.

1crosscut 03-29-2018 07:02 PM

Gary-Post #12 notes that the radiator temp gauges are not always accurate. I agree.
Please get a dial or digital meat thermometer and measure the temperature. Knowing the temperature for sure will help.

Also did you check the lever coming out of the distributor body to make sure that it has full travel and touches each side of the opening when the lever is moved fully both up and down. If that does not have full travel you will have troubles setting the timing correctly. A critical step to have correct before setting the timing.

When searching this site it will not recognize words in you search query that are less than 4 letters. Can make it challenging to find stuff.

slammin 03-29-2018 07:17 PM

woofa,
I don't have a thermostat, yet, but after a short drive (3 or 4 miles) I use an infrared thermometer to check temps. I usually find the front of the head around 145F, the rear about 150F and the lower hose pipe about 125F. Infrared thermometers can be found online for less than $20 US. You should borrow or buy one to verify what the motor is doing.

Synchro909 03-29-2018 11:06 PM

Woofa, I tried to send you a PM but can't. I am in the Model A club of Vic too and if you PM me your phone number, I'll ring you and talk about this.