The Ford Barn

The Ford Barn (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Model A (1928-31) (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Front License Plate Hitting Radiator (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=284318)

lasjts 07-20-2020 06:44 AM

Front License Plate Hitting Radiator

Anyone have ideas/solutions for preventing the front license plate from hitting the radiator while driving? Plates are so flimsy now they just bend in the wind. I damaged my last radiator and don't want it to happen again.

PalAl 07-20-2020 06:58 AM

Re: Front License Plate Hitting Radiator

Is it necessary to run with a front plate in your State? No front plate on my car, I try not to block the radiator in any way. How about a stone guard or some sort of frame to stiffen the plate? I would check your laws, it may not be necessary. Good luck

John 07-20-2020 07:07 AM

Some states, like Virginia, do require 2 plates. I use a Model A rear license plate mount on a front bumper bolt to avoid placing the license in front of the radiator. Before that, I used tape on the headlight bar under the original style front license bolt clamps to add a bit of friction to keep the plate from turning into the radiator. Some of my fellow Model A'ers just carry the extra plate under the front seat if stopped by police.

old31 07-20-2020 07:30 AM

Are you sure its the [late and not the clamps loosening up.

You could also put the plate in a plate frame. They sell them at all the car stores.

CA Victoria 07-20-2020 07:32 AM

I used two round (doughnut shaped) rubber furniture feet. They are made to mount with a bolt allowing for the nut to be recessed.
Could also screw 3/8 dowel to plate and slip a piece of vac. Hose over it.

McMimmcs 07-20-2020 07:46 AM

put a frame around it, problem solved !

Boston Bruce 07-20-2020 07:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by John (Post 1911238)
Some of my fellow Model A'ers just carry the extra plate under the front seat if stopped by police.

This.

Although I see you live in New York. YMMV
I used to live in a state that required the front plate but I never put it on the car. I also never got inspection stickers! Police never stopped me.

Patrick L. 07-20-2020 08:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lasjts (Post 1911227)
Anyone have ideas/solutions for preventing the front license plate from hitting the radiator while driving? Plates are so flimsy now they just bend in the wind. I damaged my last radiator and don't want it to happen again.

Hmm, I didn't think the plates were that flimsy. If its the plate that is bending then back it up with some trim coil or sheet metal. As said, a plate frame should work too. A 'Model A' related plate frame.

lasjts 07-20-2020 08:33 AM

Thanks. All good ideas. I think I'm going with the plate under the seat (haha) for the time being! If I get stopped, then I'll make a frame for it.

Much appreciated.

Patrick L. 07-20-2020 09:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lasjts (Post 1911264)
Thanks. All good ideas. I think I'm going with the plate under the seat (haha) for the time being! If I get stopped, then I'll make a frame for it.

Much appreciated.

Its not hard to go with YOM plates in NYS. They don't bend.

katy 07-20-2020 10:54 AM

Quote:

If its the plate that is bending then back it up with some trim coil or sheet metal.
Ditto

McMimmcs 07-20-2020 11:25 AM

likely the bolts holding it to the light bar need tightening. Highly unlikely the plate is that flimsy.

ricconhan 07-21-2020 06:12 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Smith and Jones has these.

Bob Bidonde 07-21-2020 08:14 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Henry put the front license plate in a very poor location. Try this simple change. Credit for this change goes to my friend Bob Bader. The change uses a Model "A" tail light license plate bracket upside-down and attached to a bumper clamp. Also note that I stiffen my license plates with 0.25" thick Plexiglass.

The Master Cylinder 07-21-2020 08:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Patrick L. (Post 1911256)
its the plate that is bending then back it up with some trim coil or sheet metal.

What is "trim coil"? I can't say I have ever heard of trim coil before.

katy 07-21-2020 09:36 AM

https://www.google.com/search?q=trim...hrome&ie=UTF-8

Patrick L. 07-21-2020 01:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Master Cylinder (Post 1911622)
What is "trim coil"? I can't say I have ever heard of trim coil before.

Most houses today are trimmed in aluminum. This comes in a 'coil' of various sizes rolled up and stuffed in a cardboard box. This aluminum trim is cut to length and width and bent in an aluminum brake. It may have different names, but, we've always called it trim coil. I've bent up and installed a lot of it so I always have some laying around.

ronn 07-22-2020 05:20 AM

put it under the seat..........

Youre goin to the big house now

Patrick L. 07-22-2020 05:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bob Bidonde (Post 1911613)
Henry put the front license plate in a very poor location. Try this simple change. Credit for this change goes to my friend Bob Bader. The change uses a Model "A" tail light license plate bracket upside-down and attached to a bumper clamp. Also note that I stiffen my license plates with 0.25" thick Plexiglass.

Plexiglass is a good idea

Ruth 07-22-2020 01:38 PM

I backed mine with sheet aluminum.