The Ford Barn

The Ford Barn (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Model A (1928-31) (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Secondary Well zenith carb (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=336114)

Klattu1929 02-25-2024 04:37 PM

Secondary Well zenith carb

The secondary well opening in lower carb is not threaded, no brass secondary well installed. Looking into the opening there is a step machined partway down the hole. Were some carbs made this way, no secondary well needed?
The carb looks like a zenith but no markings other than an "H" below the intake flange.

Dave in MD 02-25-2024 05:25 PM

Re: Secondary Well zenith carb

The early dual venturi carburetors made by both Zenith and Holley did not have a removable brass secondary well and therefore no threads were in the lower half. The main and cap jets are usually in a straight line from front to back and there might be pin boss/s that were used to retain the dual venturi.
Dave

Klattu1929 02-25-2024 07:11 PM

Now it makes sense, I wondered about the pin retaining the venturi. It had been updated to the later venturi at some point. I'll keep on keeping on with the rebuild, thanx a bunch.

Gary WA 02-25-2024 09:37 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Klattu1929 (Post 2293634)
Now it makes sense, I wondered about the pin retaining the venturi. It had been updated to the later venturi at some point. I'll keep on keeping on with the rebuild, thanx a bunch.

Double venturi

Jim/GA 02-25-2024 09:38 PM

If you look carefully at the position and angle of the 2 main jets in the lower carb body half, you can see the difference between the early dual-venturi carb and the later single-venturi carb. There are probably photos of the two online for you to compare.

Klattu1929 02-26-2024 02:55 PM

When converted to a single style venturi and no brass secondary well, how well does this carb work? Is it comparable to the later model zenith carbs. I was going to put it on a stock motor in a '29 35A phaeton. Don't wanta go down this road if it's a dead end. Need some expertise here, Thanx.

Jim/GA 02-27-2024 12:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Klattu1929 (Post 2293798)
When converted to a single style venturi and no brass secondary well, how well does this carb work? Is it comparable to the later model zenith carbs. I was going to put it on a stock motor in a '29 35A phaeton. Don't wanta go down this road if it's a dead end. Need some expertise here, Thanx.

No. This is addressed in the Ford Service Bulletins (pg. 443). The double venturi carb bottom half really needs to use a double venturi.

If you mix the parts up as you propose, you will have a throttle response lag when you accelerate. (I don't remember if the Service Bulletins go into this in detail. It's a carb design thing.)

Klattu1929 02-29-2024 12:32 PM

Thanx for the info, time to order the book with service bulletins. Carbs are not my strong suit. J