The Ford Barn

The Ford Barn (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Early V8 (1932-53) (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Hood Hinge ROD.... (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=276599)

1936 ford pickup 02-11-2020 09:58 AM

Hood Hinge ROD....

1 Attachment(s)
I have a '36 Ford pickup.
I had purchased a new Hood Center Hinge and the two Center Hood Hinge Rod Retainers (as pictured). Is there a steel rod that goes all the way thru. the hood center hinge and into both of the center hood hinge rod retainers (no way will just the hood center hinge fit inside the center hood hinge rod retainers. Please let me know back.

Thank you,
Bruce in Ca.

banjoQ 02-12-2020 07:54 PM

Re: Hood Hinge ROD....

Yes, mine does. Looks to be 3/16”dia. and approx. 28 1/2” long. Looks to be the same rod that is used to hinge the side panels.

JM 35 Sedan 02-12-2020 08:34 PM

I'm not that familiar with the construction of the 36 Ford pu center hinge, but your picture looks nothing like the original center hood hinge construction for 35-36 Ford passenger cars that I'm familiar with.

Lawson Cox 02-12-2020 08:50 PM

35=-36 Ford pickup does not have a center hinge rod. The hood sides sort of slid into each other, well, one side slides into the other to form a hinge. No rod except where top panel joins side panel. Close but no cigar.

JM 35 Sedan 02-13-2020 11:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lawson Cox (Post 1851382)
35=-36 Ford pickup does not have a center hinge rod. The hood sides sort of slid into each other, well, one side slides into the other to form a hinge. No rod except where top panel joins side panel. Close but no cigar.

Lawson, that's the way I thought the center hinge on the 35-36 Ford pu's worked....just like the cars of those same years. On the 35-36 pass cars there is a stainless steel strip that holds the center hinges together, with a hinge bracket located at each end of the SS strip which fastens the hood to the cowl on one end and to the top of the grille/radiator on the other end. On the pickup trucks the center strip is painted steel instead of stainless.

1936 ford pickup 02-13-2020 11:15 AM

HELLO, and THANK YOU to all that have answered back to me. Possibly
I had received the incorrect Center Hood Hinge and/or Center Hood Hinge Rod Retainers (Rod Retainers) when I had ordered. What I received (from my previously posted photo) will no way fit together.

Bruce,
California

Lawson Cox 02-13-2020 01:37 PM

The hood halves have a little "Tit" made onto the ends of each hood half that slip into the retainer bracket. Those break off rather easily.

1936 ford pickup 02-13-2020 04:46 PM

Hi Lawson,

You may be onto something there. I will check for the little "Tits" on the ends of the Hood halves.

THANK YOU for this reply back to me."

Bruce
California

Ideucev8 02-13-2020 06:43 PM

My original hood hinge had a tit that sticks out of end of one half of the hood hinge that went into the brackets. The tits were all part of one half of the hinge.
Phil.