The Ford Barn

The Ford Barn (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Early V8 (1932-53) (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Brake Drums...WHY Did "INNIES" Become "OUTIES"? (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=274325)

V8COOPMAN 12-21-2019 09:39 AM

Brake Drums...WHY Did "INNIES" Become "OUTIES"?

Does anyone know the definitive reason that Ford decided to change the hub's flange location from inside the drum to outside the drum? This is particularly interesting in that the two designs are completely interchangeable, and that Ford didn't usually make changes that cost The Company significant monies just for yuks. DD

EARLY...

https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/attac...1&d=1561186992

LATE...

https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/attac...2&d=1561186992

Charlie ny 12-21-2019 09:59 AM

Re: Brake Drums...WHY Did "INNIES" Become "OUTIES"?

I have no idea in vs out but I like the looks of the innie much more.
Charlie ny

1931 flamingo 12-21-2019 10:25 AM

I would think there was a cost savings involved somewhere along the way. JMO
Paul in CT

19Fordy 12-21-2019 10:59 AM

Could have been something to do with being the cheapest way to make the wheel mounting surface to surface distance wider to accommodate a wider body without having to redesign the rear end housings, axles, etc?

Tim Ayers 12-21-2019 11:00 AM

Once the wheel is on, it can't be seen so there has to be a reason. My money is was either cheaper or quicker to outside v. inside.

V8COOPMAN 12-21-2019 12:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 19Fordy (Post 1833631)
Could have been something to do with being the cheapest way to make the wheel mounting surface to surface distance wider to accommodate a wider body without having to redesign the rear end housings, axles, etc?

Wheel-mounting surface distance between early and late DID increase, but the rear end housing itself ('42-'48) was about 1-1/2" wider than the '35-'41. The different drums were dimensionally the same when mounted.

As far as cost savings, you need to first consider that engineering costs and total re-tooling for the differences ain't cheap. And considering that both had flanges whether seen or hidden, there is essentially no savings in materials used. So...…………….what am I missing? DD

deuce_roadster 12-21-2019 12:41 PM

Most changed I believe were made to make things cheaper or make things quicker on the assembly line, not to necessarily make them better but some changes probably were for parts that were failing.

ford38v8 12-21-2019 01:10 PM

Here's my take:
Improved heat dissipation capability, design resistance to heat warpage in service, and manufacturing quality control.

Ronnieroadster 12-21-2019 04:10 PM

Did it have anything to do with the way a wire wheel would sit on the face of the drum?
Ronnieroadster

Tim Ayers 12-21-2019 05:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ronnieroadster (Post 1833701)
Did it have anything to do with the way a wire wheel would sit on the face of the drum?
Ronnieroadster

Could have something to do with this. Never thought about wheels. The outside hub is when the switch over to steelies was the only wheel option.

Mart 12-21-2019 06:03 PM

I doubt that Ford were worried about compatibility with wires by that time. They had been out of production by a few years by then. It's a bit surprising that the wires will go over the 40 drums at all, considering there had been 4 years of wide 5s in the meantime.

The reason for the change may have been that the drums were easier to press out, being a shallower draw. possibly marginally less material, lighter weight (I haven't a clue really) but there must have been a benefit to the change, either financially or quality wise.

Mart.

Tim Ayers 12-21-2019 07:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mart (Post 1833734)
I doubt that Ford were worried about compatibility with wires by that time. They had been out of production by a few years by then. It's a bit surprising that the wires will go over the 40 drums at all, considering there had been 4 years of wide 5s in the meantime.

The reason for the change may have been that the drums were easier to press out, being a shallower draw. possibly marginally less material, lighter weight (I haven't a clue really) but there must have been a benefit to the change, either financially or quality wise.

Mart.

The ‘40 hub style was also used in the rear in ‘35, just had a different bearing for them.

51 MERC-CT 12-21-2019 07:28 PM

I suspect that two engineers got together and said "let's change the design on these" so that some day down the road someone will rack their brain trying to figure out 'why?'

rotorwrench 12-21-2019 07:32 PM

My guess is that the swaging process for the studs was more efficient when the swage was against the hub disk.

Tim Ayers 12-22-2019 10:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 51 MERC-CT (Post 1833754)
I suspect that two engineers got together and said "let's change the design on these" so that some day down the road someone will rack their brain trying to figure out 'why?'

Haha. Could be.

Rich-CO 12-22-2019 02:22 PM

I believe it is because the inner design had a tendency to chatter/squeal. The scallops on the outer design added considerable stiffness and mitigated the chatter/squeal.

Desoto291Hemi 12-22-2019 04:54 PM

I work with a guy that calls it “job justification “.
He says that whenever new engineers or managers are hired,,,they have to change things no matter how good something works.
That justifies their being hired,,,no matter how bad it screws up the works.
Then after a couple of years,,and the corresponding downturn in productivity,,,they are replaced and a new guy decides to put it back where it was.
Immediate increases in productivity,,, and upper management is very proud that the new guys fixed the problem.
Sounds crazy I know,,,but I have seen a lot of situations happen just like this.

Tommy

ford38v8 12-23-2019 01:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Desoto291Hemi (Post 1833982)
I work with a guy that calls it “job justification “.
He says that whenever new engineers or managers are hired,,,they have to change things no matter how good something works.
That justifies their being hired,,,no matter how bad it screws up the works.
Then after a couple of years,,and the corresponding downturn in productivity,,,they are replaced and a new guy decides to put it back where it was.
Immediate increases in productivity,,, and upper management is very proud that the new guys fixed the problem.
Sounds crazy I know,,,but I have seen a lot of situations happen just like this.

Tommy

That seems to also be the plan for Politicians and School Administrators.

RalphM 12-23-2019 08:43 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I was in the Army for 23 years, every couple years we would get a new commander, and most of the time Petronius was right.