The Ford Barn

The Ford Barn (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Model A (1928-31) (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   pinto engine on model A (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=273938)

mr:wood 12-11-2019 07:27 PM

pinto engine on model A

hello everyone ! , , , , looking for info on the idea of a pinto engine for a Model A .

Any possible leads as to who to talk to with past experiences and or where to get general info .

Any info is certainly appreciated . Live in the Houston metro area .

garyjohn 12-11-2019 07:38 PM

Re: pinto engine on model A

I saw one at a car show a few months ago. I asked the guy about it and how it was done. Basically you re-drill a model a fly wheel adapter and bolt it to the engine and drop it in using the stock rear motor mounts and every thing behind is model A. I am not sure about the front mount, probably have to manufacture one. The fan does sit quite low be he said it did seem to be adaqit.

mr:wood 12-11-2019 07:56 PM

Appreciate the reply , thanks for the info on the adapter . I understand they can be hard to get .
Will be going out to Cali. ( Fallbrook )for Christmas and enjoy the good weather .
Thanks again and " Good Numbers " to ya .

Merry Christmas !

updraught 12-11-2019 08:11 PM

It puts out 47hp at 2500 revs.

David R. 12-11-2019 08:16 PM

Why?

fried okra 12-11-2019 08:20 PM

Or was maybe a Shay Model A?

http://www.shayhistory.com/Bulletinboard.html

Charlie Stephens 12-11-2019 09:00 PM

When the Pinto conversion first became popular people soon realized that there wasn't enough displacement to make it a good choice. There were two versions of the engine and one of them had clearance problems with the starter. My advice, don't do it. I have used 153 cubic inch Chevy II engines and 181 cubic inch Mercruiser marine engines in my '32 roadster and been very happy with them although if I had it to do again I would leave the original engine in the car. You should be able to do a search of the archives here and on AHOOGA.COM and find a lot of information, search on Pinto.

Charlie Stephens

kenparker 12-11-2019 09:18 PM

I have a 2.3 liter engine converted into a model A chassi. This one came out of a Ranger pickup, but similiar to pinto engine.

thom 12-12-2019 01:30 AM

Best solution would be... get a Pinto with a Pinto engine in it. And drive the Pinto.

updraught 12-12-2019 02:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thom (Post 1830743)
Best solution would be... get a Pinto with a Pinto engine in it. And drive the Pinto.

My goodness they are ugly.:eek:

Thank goodness they never made it here due to our refined taste.

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikiped...Ford_Pinto.jpg

77Birdman 12-12-2019 08:15 AM

I would think a Model A engine would be easier to find and run just as well !
Pinto is the car I got my dr license in, it was my sisters, my brother in law also had one. He bought 2 brand new cars at one time when he graduated from hs, one was a pinto for daily driver the other was a gran torino for 'date night'.

Patrick L. 12-12-2019 08:40 AM

As was mentioned, Shay.

Wasn't to popular.

rotorwrench 12-12-2019 09:53 AM

The 200 cid Ford 4-cylinder for model A & B production was one of the largest 4-cylinder engines Ford ever made. This gives it a lot of potential. Rodders put various overhead valve conversions on them and got a lot of power out of them.

Ford tried the 9N tractor engine just before the war and at 119 cid it was a weakling for a pickup truck. It only lasted the one model year before they dropped that idea. Even a V8-60 would be hard pressed to equal what has been done with the 200 cid Ford 4.

old31 12-12-2019 10:00 AM

Pinto in a Model A, I don't think so, yuk.

But if you're going to put a Pinto engine in an A then you might as well move the gas tank to the back of the car, and wait to be rear-ended.:)

Jordan 12-12-2019 10:47 AM

In our family, we have pretty much one of everything. We have my sedan with a modified model A motor (bigger cam, downdraft, hi comp head, OD, Etc), a 2 door phaeton being restored to original, a coupe with a Miller OHV & OD, my other sedan with a 6 cyl mustang II motor in it, and a coupe with a pinto.

While I really like the modified model A motors, the best "deal" is the Pinto. They are cheap and extremely reliable. They are also easy to work on. When I "rebuild" the 6 cyl in one of my sedans, I will possibly replace it with a pinto since they are so cheap.

1928Mik 12-12-2019 11:21 AM

I wouldn't mess with a Pinto engine,but to each his own. They are cheap for sure. The only A I have seen with one is the Shay replica.

Updraught: You do have refined tastes over there, I'll take a Holden Ute or one of those cool V6 AWD Commodore Sportwagons any day!

veggie 12-12-2019 11:32 AM

My fellow Ayers
My thoughts are to put a model A engine into the Pinto.
Easy tune-up!

David R. 12-12-2019 11:55 AM

I remember Ford marketing the Pinto as the new model A. I think they named it after the horse, but I always associated them more with the bean.

Jim Brierley 12-12-2019 12:19 PM

The Pinto has too few cubic inches to make enough torque, it might be OK if you could put a much lower rear end gear in it? A friend put one in a sedan delivery, drove it to Bonneville, came home and put in a V8. I have a Mercruiser engine for sale if interested, pm me.

1931 flamingo 12-12-2019 12:37 PM

The Pinto conversion was popular years ago. I believe there are many still running around in California and Texas. FWIW

Put a 4 cyl Pontiac Tempest w/4 bbl, taxi clutch in my 32 back in 63. Ran almost as good as the Olds V8 it replaced.
Paul in CT