The Ford Barn

The Ford Barn (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Early V8 (1932-53) (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Great Plains Road Trip (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=245122)

5851a 05-29-2018 10:03 AM

Re: Great Plains Road Trip

Great trip, thanks for the pics. What kind of speed and mpg's did you have with all the flat terrain?

Old Henry 05-29-2018 10:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by corvette8n (Post 1634326)
Craig: Thanks for the trip, enjoyed the ride thru the lens. How many hours a day do you drive?

Average 60 mph 400 miles a day = 6.67 hrs/day. But, with a lot of photo and video stops, gas, restroom, and eating we were on the road 8-10 hours per day.

Old Henry 05-29-2018 10:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by petehoovie (Post 1634330)
Craig,

How much time do you spend in preparing your car for a trip like that? Do you put it up in the air and inspect the undercarriage? Are you ever ill at ease while driving down the road?. Even though my '34 is tip-top, I'm always ill at ease while driving it....

Since I drive my car every day and keep it maintained and repaired for that daily use, there really isn't any "trip preparation" that I do. If my 5,000 or 10,000 mile maintenance is due I do that, or, whatever is due. But, no "last minute" prep.

The only "ill at ease" I felt driving this trip was driving in heavy 40° wind and rain without even a long sleeve shirt, much less anything more to protect me if I had a breakdown. I even went into Walmart to try to buy something and they had nothing with long sleeves. Glad I never had to face that adversity.

There is still, on occasion, a mechanical surprise on a road trip to deal with but they seem to be getting further and further in between. I don't worry about it any. I feel my 71 year old car is as reliable as my wife's 6 year old one.

Old Henry 05-29-2018 10:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 5851a (Post 1634356)
Great trip, thanks for the pics. What kind of speed and mpg's did you have with all the flat terrain?

Speed 60-65 mph.

I didn't check my gas mileage on this trip. It probably was not as favorable as one might think on the flat land, the wind was blowing strongly against us much of the way.

I think the last I checked gas mileage it was about 13 mpg at highway speeds.

Old Henry 05-29-2018 10:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Don W/Norfolk (Post 1634336)
Craig,
Thanks for the memories. Following your map, I see you missed a real "landmark." Between Atchison, KS and Kansas City, MO you jogged around the outskirts of my hometown, Platte City, MO. It is such an icon of middle 'Merica, that the weekly newspaper was called, "The Landmark." Lots of history on both sides of the road of your journey. Glad you got to enjoy the trip. dw

Sorry I missed "The Landmark". I just went where Mrs. Google told me to go. Always the quickest route but not always the most scenic.

flatford8 05-29-2018 11:48 AM

Thanks for another great ride!!...as always, I feel like I should be contributing towards gas....Mark

Vintage Copper 47 05-29-2018 01:58 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Another great trip Craig.. I am trying to coax my friend with his matching 47 to go on a "goodwill" tour with our cars.. :D

Seth Swoboda 05-29-2018 04:01 PM

Nice trip. You were only a days travel from me. That's pretty darn close in the grand scheme of it all. I enjoyed reading about your trip.

RalphM 05-30-2018 08:21 AM

Great trip! Always love “riding along”. No wonder they called the conestoga wagons “prairie schooners”, that part of the country looks like a big calm sea!

Rand 05-30-2018 09:52 PM

Great trip...good to see you here again

Lawrie 05-31-2018 05:18 PM

Gas mileage may be better than you think,our 33 with a 265 ci 99a engine and towing a caravan gets an average of around 18 litres per 100 klms,
Lawrie

5851a 06-01-2018 10:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Old Henry (Post 1634361)
Speed 60-65 mph.

I didn't check my gas mileage on this trip. It probably was not as favorable as one might think on the flat land, the wind was blowing strongly against us much of the way.

I think the last I checked gas mileage it was about 13 mpg at highway speeds.

Thanks, totally forgot about the wind on the plains. Not bad on the mpgs.

Graeme / New Zealand 06-01-2018 07:08 PM

This is the america I want to see....bugger the "big city lights" :). Thanks for posting OH

GB

A bones 06-02-2018 08:50 AM

Thank You, I made many treks through the inroads of America. I worked out of Tulsa for an outfit called Arrow Trucking. We ran Flatbed 48 states and Canada. MOST loads on Flatbed, unlike van trailers, aren't average retail commodities. The deliveries often go to out of the way places. The length of the runs usually spanned the mountains, into the back country. Equipment for wells, bridges, tunnels, cell towers, building and highway projects, were the order of the day. The back roads of the desert plains, and farmfields of midwest, south, Pacific west, the peaks of the Sierras, the Rockies, the Ozarks, Appalachians and Berkshires.

Your pics and videos bring back those carefree days, when I was vital.;)