The Ford Barn

The Ford Barn (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Model A (1928-31) (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   leg room (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=231114)

Bill Cal. 10-12-2017 01:31 PM

leg room

Any way of getting more leg room in a 29 roadster? Thanks

roundvalley 10-12-2017 03:02 PM

Re: leg room

Thin padded rear back rest.

fredski53 10-12-2017 03:05 PM

Some say to trim/ remove package shelve.

Bulligen 10-12-2017 03:21 PM

I ad one and the way to do it to have the seat backrest thinned out and that will gain you 3 to 5 inches.

SSsssteamer 10-12-2017 06:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bulligen (Post 1538598)
I ad one and the way to do it to have the seat backrest thinned out and that will gain you 3 to 5 inches.

Ditto.

Lona 10-12-2017 08:15 PM

Don't know if the '31 package shelf is the same as the '29, but the '31 shelf has adjustable holes which allow the shelf and seat to be pushed back an inch or two. If you need more, suggest you look into doing away with the shelf all together and moving the seat back even further. Along with making the seat back thinner, that should do the trick for you. With such limited space for your size, might I suggest you install seat/shoulder belts so your first bump into something doesn't impale you or losing your teeth on the steering wheel?

Glen

1931 flamingo 10-13-2017 05:59 PM

I don't think there's a "shelf" in a roadster??
Paul in CT

wrndln 10-13-2017 06:24 PM

1931 flamingo
You are correct, roadsters don't have package shelves like coupe's do. A thinner backrest is about the only reasonable way to increase leg room and that wont help a lot.
Rusty Nelson

pgerhardt 10-13-2017 08:37 PM

If the problem is just more leg room then the above suggestions cover it. However there is another pretty common problem to look for. If your knee gets trapped under the steering wheel when going from the clutch to the brake while in first gear (like at every complete stop) then the issue is with the shift lever. They bend pretty easily, and can wind up leaning a little toward the driver's side leaving no room for your knee to get by the steering wheel. A little force will cause it to lean a little toward the passenger side completely elimination the problem.

Lona 10-14-2017 08:51 AM

I called it a package shelf but it's not a wide one like the coupe. Just a few inches behind the seat back. However, it does have a metal base with adjustment holes which lets you move the seat back a little and for a big guy, every inch counts.

Glen

Bob Wright 10-14-2017 11:16 AM

Maybe lose a few pounds?

Bill Cal. 10-14-2017 02:01 PM

not a problem between the seat and steering wheel

burner31 10-15-2017 12:20 AM

1 Attachment(s)
After several years of double clutching I can relate

JBill 10-15-2017 10:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pgerhardt (Post 1539114)
If the problem is just more leg room then the above suggestions cover it. However there is another pretty common problem to look for. If your knee gets trapped under the steering wheel when going from the clutch to the brake while in first gear (like at every complete stop) then the issue is with the shift lever. They bend pretty easily, and can wind up leaning a little toward the driver's side leaving no room for your knee to get by the steering wheel. A little force will cause it to lean a little toward the passenger side completely elimination the problem.

I bent mine cold using a hydraulic press. Made a huge difference. Figure out exactly where and how far you want it to go before doing it. You'll have to remove the shift tower from the trans to use the press, but it's worth the trouble.

Y-Blockhead 10-15-2017 01:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pgerhardt (Post 1539114)

Quote:

Originally Posted by JBill (Post 1539685)
I bent mine cold using a hydraulic press. Made a huge difference. Figure out exactly where and how far you want it to go before doing it. You'll have to remove the shift tower from the trans to use the press, but it's worth the trouble.

I had the problem described by pgerhardt above. I made this tool from parts laying around a while back to bend my shifter ~1.5" to the right. No need to remove shifter from car.

https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/pictu...ictureid=38961

https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/pictu...ictureid=38962

pgerhardt 10-15-2017 01:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Y-Blockhead (Post 1539751)
I made this tool from parts laying around a while back to bend my shifter ~1.5" to the right. No need to remove shifter from car.

https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/pictu...ictureid=38961

I just used my hands. Like I said they bend pretty easily.

Y-Blockhead 10-15-2017 01:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pgerhardt (Post 1539754)
I just used my hands. Like I said they bend pretty easily.

Yes, it does bend easily. Just wanted to ensure it didn't bend internally and cause more problems.

Dodge 10-15-2017 03:05 PM

I had a thinner seat back made up with foam, it's only 2" thick, then I slid the lower cushion back and put the seat back on top of it instead of having the seat back sit behind the lower seat cushion. So far I love it. Moving the lower cushion back also lets you sit a little lower in the car also. I am going to drive it thru the season next year and if I still like it I might modify the lower seat riser to meet the pushed back seat cushion.