The Ford Barn

The Ford Barn (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Model A (1928-31) (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   What did you do working on you Model A today (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=223090)

holdover 06-19-2017 10:34 PM

What did you do working on you Model A today

Over on Garage Journal they have a running post about what you did in your garage today, some interesting stuff there. Thought I would start something like that here, but just keep it to Model A work. I'll start with a short intro. I have 4 As a '29 coupe, '29 CCPU, '31 AA LWB and a '31 Budd cab SWB that I am presently restoring. Today worked on the body which is near the final preparations for paint, and and painted the headlight buckets black. Nearing the one year point on the restoration.

Synchro909 06-19-2017 10:38 PM

Re: What did you do working on you Model A today

Nothing Model A today. I've been working on my other restoration (not Ford). Once that is done, I'll move it on and concentrate on my Model As.

SeaSlugs 06-19-2017 10:54 PM

Made a bracket to mount a "thing" on the passenger side light on my AA... more to come once I'm done...

daveymc29 06-19-2017 11:00 PM

Changed out the bearings in my transmission and put it back together. 105 outside and about 99 in the garage. Spent a lot of time looking for the tools we used a couple of days ago to replace the head on a friends 1930 Coupe. I have 3 A's. 1929 Tudor that I made into a de luxe delivery with the original metal and parts found throughout the states. It has been with my son-in-law for 10 years getting painted. No progress in the last 9. I also have two I trade off as daily drivers, a 29 roadster and a 31 de luxe coupe. Both of those run well with strong engines. I'm getting a tranny together for the coupe and when it is done I hope to have delivery of an overdrive to add to it. Then I will have my hands full in my shop, as it takes me forever to get stuff done anymore. Probably take me four good days to change out the differential and tranny for the one with overdrive and a rebuild of a spare tranny. Old one in the coupe howls in low and second, is fine in third.

denniskliesen 06-19-2017 11:32 PM

Getting my body back down on the frame on my 29 Tudor haven't quite figured out how I'm going to tighten those nuts on the rear end of the frame. Floor boards in front are out and so is the one in front of passenger seat. I guess if I can put seat belts in myself I should be able to handle a small job getting the mount bolts in.

Tom Wesenberg 06-19-2017 11:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by daveymc29 (Post 1488027)
............... Old one in the coupe howls in low and second, is fine in third.

The bearing tucked inside the rear of the input shaft is working in 1st and 2nd, but not in high gear, so that would be one place to look for the noise.

My tranny sounded like a broken down threshing machine when I bought my Model A, and every part except a couple rollers on that bearing looked like NOS. I was really surprised at how much noise a couple bad rollers could make on that little roller bearing.

RawhideKid 06-20-2017 12:03 AM

I actually walked by the front floor mat draped across the small divider wall between us neighbors and thought about reinstalling it. Then thought better knowing that just like last week, if I were to replace it in the car I would need to remove it for a different trouble.

ronn 06-20-2017 05:10 AM

repaired the lower wood in my 30 cabriolet doors

now have nice solid doors.

JDupuis 06-20-2017 05:17 AM

Yesterday I put the 29 on 4 jack stands, adjusted all the brakes. Much better now. Went for a good country drive, and ended up checking out a 28 roadster that a friend just picked up. Supposed to rain all day today, so clean up the shop it is, right after making the bed, doing dishes and laundry. Life is Great. Jeff :)

captndan 06-20-2017 09:13 AM

Today or maybe tomorrow I may finish cleaning up the shop from the last time I worked on the 31 about a week ago. These things must be planned carefully.

Great Lakes Greg 06-20-2017 09:57 AM

Putting engine pans on tonight. Pain in the butt trying to reach the bolts on top while tightening the nuts from below.

mantta 06-20-2017 11:21 AM

In process of waxing it for next Sunday's car show in Michigamme, MI.

jwaldrich 06-20-2017 11:22 AM

Installing after market shocks.

jwaldrich 06-20-2017 11:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mantta (Post 1488189)
In process of waxing it for next Sunday's car show in Michigamme, MI.

Senior Chief what?

KGBnut 06-20-2017 11:34 AM

Just finished replacing the Universal Joint. First time in a Model A. Not an easy job without a lift. Bumper jacks...jack stands...wood blocks. At times I think Pop and I are nuts. Holy cow, you have to get that thing up high to get that rear spring to clear. But, we got it.

Ken

foxfire42 06-20-2017 11:40 AM

Painted my new cast iron brake drums. Tomorrow will be changing the brake lining. I'm getting ready for the Moon On A's tour to Artist Point. lots of hills so my brakes will get a workout.

mrraford 06-20-2017 11:52 AM

On my way to work this morning, I stopped by the A and connected the electrical wiring to the starter and filled the new steering box with oil. I'm partway through a steering column upgrade and ducking the heat of the afternoon is high on the priority list.

henry's 31 06-20-2017 12:07 PM

I am on vacation this week (not working at the office). Today I am working on the distributor of my Station Wagon frame (1930 Station Wagon Restoration). Next I need to take the oil pan out and clean it, in preparation to starting the engine.

BILL WILLIAMSON 06-20-2017 12:23 PM

IN BED, in my "MIND", I did a LOTS of STUFF--LOL
Bill Lazy

Vin-tin 06-20-2017 12:38 PM

The "honey do" list is finally done and i'm back to finishing up the new brakes.